• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• ENewton

• A Smug Dill

• Carrau

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will try to re-write the re-sponse later but, for now, may I ask what problems you have had with Diamine inks? (I've just started using their Oxford Blue in a Parker 61 and, so far, so good ...)

-----------------------

​I used a single ink, Pelikan 4001 Violet, for about twenty years before a colleague pointed out that one could now obtain a much wider range of ink colors, including in shades resembling the dark purples that I always wear. She gave me a link to a vendor's website, and on the basis of swatches, I thought Diamine Grape would be the best choice. But when I bought the ink and started trying to use it in my pens, I found that the ink would dry in the nib in the middle of a sentence. This happened in pen after pen. I understand that many, probably most, other Diamine inks are less frustrating to use, but I have never bought another one.

I hope you will enjoy Poussiere de Lune. I use it frequently but predict that you will find it dustier and less purple than your yarn.

Every brand of ink I've tried has had inks that are good and ones that aren't. I've had problems with Diamine Sargasso Sea (and seen lots of reports that Diamine Grape stains) but I've had no problem at all with other Diamine inks -- and I have tried more Diamine inks than any other brand except for Noodler's (mostly because both brands have so MANY different ones). Oxford Blue is one of my favorites.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Most of my inks are dark purple, but I don't know what inks are "reasonably priced and easy to obtain" where you are.

I'm most interested in and attracted to dark purples but I'm just now venturing into purchasing them. The Sailor distributor in Thailand contacted me today and unfortunately they imported the Sailor Manyo inks only. (And, even then, I can get those for a lower price, including shipping, from Cult Pens, for one.)

For example, my favorite ink is Sailor Kobe Suma Purple and might be a good fit, but Japanese inks tend to be more expensive than most for purchasers in the United States.

I don't think it's a good match to my sweet potatoes but that Kobe Suma Purple looks like it would be one that I would really want as an everyday writing ink.

Robert Oster makes many dark purples that look beautiful in swatches, and maybe for you Australian inks are "reasonably priced and easy to obtain," but be sure to read reviews of specific inks by users who do not sell them. Some Oster purples turn green on certain papers.

Turns out Robert Oster inks are available at a Bangkok store that I discovered yesterday that does online orders. But, looking at the Robert Oster website, it seems there are not many dark purples currently.

Birmingham Pen Company has really wonderful dark purple inks that are very inexpensive by the bottle but need to be ordered directly from Birmingham Pens, and I have no idea how shipping to Thailand would affect the ultimate price.

I contacted Birmingham Pen Company and unfortunately they are currently not shipping to Thailand. Their Waterfront Dusk looks really lovely and I might just have them send to a friend in the US to hold for me.

Both Rohrer & Klingner Aubergine and Montblanc Lavender Purple would have been contenders two years ago, but I don't think either of those inks is available now, although the Montblanc ink was only recently replaced and I still see it on the website of one United States vendor.

There's a 3 cc sampler of the Montblanc Lavender Purple on the Thailand equivalent of Amazon. It's beautiful and tempting but I think it would be too frustrating if I really liked it and I couldn't get more ...

You might also want to look at the following thread, which is ostensibly about "black purples" but includes many inks that are simply dark:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340788-your-favorite-purple-black-inks/

There's a lot to pour through in that thread ...

Thanks much for all the great advice!

waterfront_dusk_720x.jpg

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

​I used a single ink, Pelikan 4001 Violet, for about twenty years before a colleague pointed out that one could now obtain a much wider range of ink colors, including in shades resembling the dark purples that I always wear. She gave me a link to a vendor's website, and on the basis of swatches, I thought Diamine Grape would be the best choice. But when I bought the ink and started trying to use it in my pens, I found that the ink would dry in the nib in the middle of a sentence. This happened in pen after pen. I understand that many, probably most, other Diamine inks are less frustrating to use, but I have never bought another one.

I hope you will enjoy Poussiere de Lune. I use it frequently but predict that you will find it dustier and less purple than your yarn.

Ah, I was just about to order Diamine Grape. Has that color been problematic for others? It seems to look really nice. Maybe I will try it in one of my cheap Indian pens.

Yeah, the Poussiere de Lune is definitely different from my yams but it's still looks attractive and, importantly, it's easy to get. It may be a little too light for me, though - I'm waffling on it right now ...

Every brand of ink I've tried has had inks that are good and ones that aren't. I've had problems with Diamine Sargasso Sea (and seen lots of reports that Diamine Grape stains) but I've had no problem at all with other Diamine inks -- and I have tried more Diamine inks than any other brand except for Noodler's (mostly because both brands have so MANY different ones). Oxford Blue is one of my favorites.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find a dark blue to keep using indefinitely for everyday writing in one my Parker 51's - one of my top 3 most used pens - and if Oxford Blue continues to perform well, I think it is the one!

For pen fanciers living in Thailand PIPS Cafe is an excellent option. They know the inks and pens that they sell. I was there 3 days ago after many months and every thing was ok with them.I am only a happy customer no other relation. :D

For pen fanciers living in Thailand PIPS Cafe is an excellent option. They know the inks and pens that they sell. I was there 3 days ago after many months and every thing was ok with them.I am only a happy customer no other relation. :D

Yes, that's the store I described and linked to earlier. Thanks for the recommendation - it's reassuring and I'll probably order from them soon. And next time I'm in Bangkok I'll definitely visit them.

BTW, if you know where any old Parkers might be hiding in BKK, I'm all ears! :)

I'm most interested in and attracted to dark purples but I'm just now venturing into purchasing them. The Sailor distributor in Thailand contacted me today and unfortunately they imported the Sailor Manyo inks only. (And, even then, I can get those for a lower price, including shipping, from Cult Pens, for one.)

I don't think it's a good match to my sweet potatoes but that Kobe Suma Purple looks like it would be one that I would really want as an everyday writing ink.

Turns out Robert Oster inks are available at a Bangkok store that I discovered yesterday that does online orders. But, looking at the Robert Oster website, it seems there are not many dark purples currently.

I contacted Birmingham Pen Company and unfortunately they are currently not shipping to Thailand. Their Waterfront Dusk looks really lovely and I might just have them send to a friend in the US to hold for me.

There's a 3 cc sampler of the Montblanc Lavender Purple on the Thailand equivalent of Amazon. It's beautiful and tempting but I think it would be too frustrating if I really liked it and I couldn't get more ...

There's a lot to pour through in that thread ...

Thanks much for all the great advice!

Waterfront Dusk is my favorite Birmingham ink. I have it in a pen right now. It doesn't have enough red to be a match for your yarns but is a lovely ink in its own right.

Yes, that's the store I described and linked to earlier. Thanks for the recommendation - it's reassuring and I'll probably order from them soon. And next time I'm in Bangkok I'll definitely visit them.

BTW, if you know where any old Parkers might be hiding in BKK, I'm all ears! :)

I don't know where in Bangkok you can buy used pens. I will like to buy Parker 51 pens in different colours but I can only do it in the USA. B)

I wish these Sailor inks weren't so darn expensive ...

What would be the point of a manufacturer making something attractive and 'boutique' outside of its standard range, then, if not to make it stand out as unusual and 'exclusive', and is therefore either limited in its production run and/or more expensive than the more common products in its range? ;)

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I will try to re-write the re-sponse later but, for now, may I ask what problems you have had with Diamine inks? (I've just started using their Oxford Blue in a Parker 61 and, so far, so good ...)

-----------------------

Ah, I was just about to order Diamine Grape. Has that color been problematic for others? It seems to look really nice. Maybe I will try it in one of my cheap Indian pens.

Yeah, the Poussiere de Lune is definitely different from my yams but it's still looks attractive and, importantly, it's easy to get. It may be a little too light for me, though - I'm waffling on it right now ...

I have seen a fair number of people describing flow issues with Diamine Grape. There are links to reviews here.

Thanks everyone for your help, input, and advice as I make a much overdue venture into my favorite colors - dark purples.

I just wrote a long post and, again, lost almost everything. I really hate this editor - I've now learned my lesson to edit offline. So, here's the short story.

I ordered some inks from Cult Pens this evening.

• Vinta Mulberry [ubi 1663] This was a surprise find - Vinta is an ink maker in the Philippines that started up last year. From the description: "Ubi, or purple yam, is among the country’s most popular food crops." There's also an ad that pictures a plate of mashed purple yams. They're not as dark as mine, but still!

How could I resist supporting my SE Asian home boys?
    VintaInks_Ubi-2__96147.1596538955.gif?c=
  • KWZ Iron Gall Violet #3. (I wrote a lot about why I chose this one over IG Violet #2 and IG Gummiberry but what I wrote is gone.) Short story is that I want IG Violet #2 for the next-go-round.
  • Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Purple. I got scared of Diamine Grape (see posts above) and thought, "Might as well since I'm making an order from Cult Pens. It's so inexpensive, get a 80ml bottle." Fingers crossed, this will become a daily writer ink.
  • Diamine Monboddo's Hat. Not a close match to my yams but I love the color.
  • L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bourgogne. Not a good match at all but, again, I just love the color - it is very, very close to J. Herbin Poussiere De Lune. L'Artisan Pastellier is not so easy to find elsewhere - Herbin is - plus it's priced better so it was an easy 'buy' decision.
  • Diamine Salamander. Wait - that's not purple - that's green. Actually a brownish green or something. I don't have any dark greens, a 30ml bottle is super inexpensive, and it looks like it would be a great 'writing' color.

This is the first round - I'm not finished. :huh: At the top of my list for the next go-round:

• De Atramentis Aubergine
  • Robert Oster Deep Purple
  • Robert Oster Dark Chocolate (Yes, in the online images it really does look like a nice dark purple/brown.)
  • KWZ Iron Gall Violet #2
  • Krishna Sea & Storm
  • Krishna Writer's Night
  • Noodler's Violet
  • Colorverse Deep Purple

(Also exploring some Penbbs inks on Aliexpress ... )

Best,

Pithy Prolix

Edited by PithyProlix

I don't know how it compares in price to the Sailor inks where you are located, but Penlux MO Plum matches your pictures and is a wonderful ink. I never thought of myself as a purple ink person until I got a bottle of this. I realize you have already gone through round one, but I didn't see the Penlux mentioned.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Thanks everyone for your help, input, and advice as I make a much overdue venture into my favorite colors - dark purples.

I just wrote a long post and, again, lost almost everything. I really hate this editor - I've now learned my lesson to edit offline. So, here's the short story.

I ordered some inks from Cult Pens this evening.

• Vinta Mulberry [ubi 1663] This was a surprise find - Vinta is an ink maker in the Philippines that started up last year. From the description: "Ubi, or purple yam, is among the country’s most popular food crops." There's also an ad that pictures a plate of mashed purple yams. They're not as dark as mine, but still!

How could I resist supporting my SE Asian home boys?

VintaInks_Ubi-2__96147.1596538955.gif?c=

• KWZ Iron Gall Violet #3. (I wrote a lot about why I chose this one over IG Violet #2 and IG Gummiberry but what I wrote is gone.) Short story is that I want IG Violet #2 for the next-go-round.
  • Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Purple. I got scared of Diamine Grape (see posts above) and thought, "Might as well since I'm making an order from Cult Pens. It's so inexpensive, get a 80ml bottle." Fingers crossed, this will become a daily writer ink.
  • Diamine Monboddo's Hat. Not a close match to my yams but I love the color.
  • L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bourgogne. Not a good match at all but, again, I just love the color - it is very, very close to J. Herbin Poussiere De Lune. L'Artisan Pastellier is not so easy to find elsewhere - Herbin is - plus it's priced better so it was an easy 'buy' decision.
  • Diamine Salamander. Wait - that's not purple - that's green. Actually a brownish green or something. I don't have any dark greens, a 30ml bottle is super inexpensive, and it looks like it would be a great 'writing' color.

This is the first round - I'm not finished. :huh: At the top of my list for the next go-round:

• De Atramentis Aubergine
  • Robert Oster Deep Purple
  • Robert Oster Dark Chocolate (Yes, in the online images it really does look like a nice dark purple/brown.)
  • KWZ Iron Gall Violet #2
  • Krishna Sea & Storm
  • Krishna Writer's Night
  • Noodler's Violet
  • Colorverse Deep Purple

(Also exploring some Penbbs inks on Aliexpress ... )

Best,

Pithy Prolix

You have some interesting selections there. I really like KWZI IG Gummiberry and IG Violet #3 [they're quite different, BTW] and am considering trying IG Violet #2. De Atramentis Aubergine is very nice, but I think of it as being much darker a purple than a lot of your first round picks. I have not tried a lot of the others, although I do have a sample of Krishna Writer's Night kicking around. And I have been looking at Diamine Monboddos Hat as something to toss in the next ink order, depending on where I order from (unfortunately, for me, while the Diamine inks are a great price for me at Cult Pens, some of the other brands are cheaper to get here in the US; OTOH, Cult Pens doesn't do samples. So I have to factor in shipping charges from the UK (even though I don't have to pay VAT) vs. buying a whole bottle of something I might end up not liking, unless I can get a better deal on a pen. And that means possibly buying a more expensive pen than I might otherwise (to get the free shipping) vs. buying from a US vendor and getting samples rather than full bottles. Admittedly I *am* going to be buying a couple of bottles of ink regardless -- Robert Oster Grey Seas and Diamine Guitar Series Pelham Blue Burst -- but it's not really cost effective to get the R.O. inks unless I'm putting in a big order (I've been keeping track of exchange rates). It was worth it for me to order inks from Cult Pen last year rather than from a US vendor, because I was buying a Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Purple Cosmos (which was largely unavailable most places at that point, and even with the exchange rate not being the most favorable, the pen was less expensive than I'd seen anywhere else and got me to the "free shipping" price point level). I had wanted one when they were first released, but couldn't really justify the added cost for the "LE" rod stock over a regular color. It wasn't until I saw the red ones were about to come out that I started looking on eBay to see if there were any used ones out there -- and when I discovered that a regular vendor was selling them in their eBay store I started to seriously look around for one.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."