Annual Revenue Of Major Pen Brands Today

max dog

Here is some interesting data on total annual revenue of major pen brands. At the very least gives an idea of how they are doing in the business.

Pilot Japan annual revenue $921 Million USD

Montblanc annual revenue $438.54 Million USD (2017)

Pelikan annual revenue $270 Million USD

Lamy annual revenue $130 Million USD

Montegrappa annual revenue $94.4 Million USD

Cross annual revenue $74.5 Million USD

Pilot USA annual revenue $34.5 Million USD

Parker annual revenue $7 Million USD

Sailor annual revenue $5.3 Million USD

Sheaffer annual revenue $3.4 Million USD

Source = Google

Edited by max dog

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• Estycollector

• inkstainedruth

• mr T.

I honestly thought Pilot would be at the top, but they are close. I think MB pursuing the asian market probably expanded their market share quite a bit. I didn't think Pelikan revenue would be as high but as a corporation across all their office supply products, they are quite big.

Montblanc as a company may lead the pack but.... how much of that revenue is pen related?

I think we can be certain, quite significant, as writing instruments is still their primary business.

Montblanc as a company may lead the pack but.... how much of that revenue is pen related?

My thoughts exactly. Their product line isn't just in the fine writing segment, but leather goods and watches too. I suspect those groups produce the lions share of their revenue.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Montblanc, the brand, and its products, one of which is pens - fountain, ballpoint, rollerball - is owned by Richemont. Some or perhaps all of the other brands are also owned by parent company's. Revenue alone does not say much. How does it compare to annual expenses for example? Net margins would be much more helpful, at least to an investor. But this is a fountain pen board, not an investment board. So I will say no more.

Montblanc revenue breakdown by business segment: 44.3% from Writing Instruments, 33.6% from Leather Products, 5.7% from Watches, 7.8% from Other (Parts Delivery etc.) and 8.6% from Other

Montblanc revenue breakdown by geographic segment: 31.8% from Africa, Asia, Australia, 57.2% from Europe and 11.0% from America

Edited to add:

According to this site I found, it shows MB revenue for 2017 was 370.4 Million Euros or $438.54 Million USD.

So if 44.3% of that is in their writing instrument, that would put their writing instrument at approx $194.27 Million USD.

Edited by max dog

It looks like Montblanc with it's writing instruments making up 44.3% of it's total revenue is #2 after Pilot.

But not sure how much of Pilots total stationary revenue make up pens.

Are sure the numbers are reliable? I could see the argument that Pilot sells more pens then Parker if you count the millions of disposable Pilot sells. Montegrappa having a higher revenue then Parker or Cross having a revenue 10 times that of Parker ?.

The numbers that are below 10 millions are tiny as it's before costs. profit might indeed be low but from all the pens that Parker and Sheaffer and Parker sell only approximately $10 millions comes in?

Edited by The Blue Knight

All, let's not turn this into another MB bashing opportunity. It's about revenue of all major brands.

I don't read anyone bashing MB, but questioning your assertions. If MB sells 10 pens at $500 or $5000 and Pilot sells 1000 pens at $2 , that's double the numnber of pens sold, but less sales revenue. It is like comparing Rolls Royce to the Subaru Outback.

As I said earlier, total revenue does not equal units sold, profitabilty, or anything else. It just says how much money came into the company.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Note. One source had Montblanc annual revenue at $850 Million USD but did not show a date so I went with the lower 2017 revenue data.

Platinum? It is a very interesting list. Almost all the companies offer a wide variety of products besides fountain pens and that makes harder to compare real volumes of sales in this area. If you see the number of new companies in the fountain pen field it seems that FP are coming more popular now than a few years ago. Also the growing membership in FPN reflects a renovated interest in the writing instruments.

As I said earlier, total revenue does not equal units sold, profitabilty, or anything else. It just says how much money came into the company.

I agree with you there. Total revenue data alone is just one indicator, but I think a useful one to show the relative size of a company in their respective market. It does not reveal their profitability or actual number of units sold. It can give insight into how well a company has done or is doing.

Platinum? It is a very interesting list. Almost all the companies offer a wide variety of products besides fountain pens and that makes harder to compare real volumes of sales in this area. If you see the number of new companies in the fountain pen field it seems that FP are coming more popular now than a few years ago. Also the growing membership in FPN reflects a renovated interest in the writing instruments.

I couldn't find the data yet for Platinum, Visconti and others, but will post it if I do find them.

Have a look at this article I found about the Writing Instruments market size. It is very promising.

The global writing instruments market size was valued at USD 13.9 billion in 2018. An increase in the number of promotional products such as apparel and calendars offered by educational institutions and offices is expected to remain a key factor in driving the market. Moreover, nowadays, the availability of natural and recyclable materials used in the manufacturing process of pens has increased the scope and demand for pens across the globe.

The market is expected to witness significant gains owing to the introduction of fancy coloring instruments that are gaining traction among children and school going students. These fancy coloring instruments are also gaining popularity among artists owing to the availability of these products in a wide variety and different shades of color.

The manufacturers are constantly trying to appeal to the customers with customized pen body styles, clips, and superior use of ink. Easy accessibility of eco-friendly products at cheaper prices is expected to exhibit a positive shift in the inclination of consumer preference for these products. Companies specializing in the luxury pen are attracting people from high-income groups owing to their designer's finish look and quality.

Europe holds a significant share of the industry and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 7.9% from 2019 to 2025. Key markets of this region include France, Germany, the U.K., and Spain. The growing trend of using fancy coloring instruments and luxury pens owing to their high spending capacity is anticipated to remain a favorable factor in driving the product demand in this region.

Here is a link to the article.

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/writing-instruments-market

Edited by max dog

I couldn't find the data yet for Platinum, Visconti and others, but will post it if I do find them.

Hi Max Dog,

This will probably be close to impossible since Platinum, Visconti, Aurora, etc., are privately held companies; most of whom wish to keep their financials closely guarded secrets; whereas, the companies you do cite are public companies (or divisions of public companies); who are required by law to publish their financial statements.

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Did I read a different list from everyone else? Because what *I* saw the OP say was:

Pilot Japan annual revenue $921 Million USD

Montblanc annual revenue $438.54 Million USD (2017)

and then (later):

Pilot USA annual revenue $34.5 Million USD

So... even presuming that Pilot USA is NOT part of that overall figure for Pilot Japan, I'm not seeing how "Montblanc is on top" as someone else put it.
This isn't MB bashing, BTW -- this is reading (and then copying and pasting) what the initial post said), and I didn't get the impression that the OP was listing only US revenue figures, but worldwide, overall revenue. I'd joke about the "New Math" but even if the Pilot USA revenue is part of the Pilot Japan amount is STILL nearly double the MB one (assuming of course that MB's 2020 revenue is anywhere close to what their 2017 figures were).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."