The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc Ordering Question From European Vendor.

montblanc

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 dbs

dbs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:13

I don't think this is correct.

A while ago I actually went through the trouble to find out, and the rate for FP was (if I recall correctly) 3.25% if above $800.

I don't know the rate for ink, but I do know that FPs are taxable (as they should) if you go above the limit. 

Incidentally, one of the vendors mentioned above recently (2 months ago) made a mistake and declared the wrong price on a FP I bought (they forgot to take out the discount), and it amounted to $2 more than the limit. DHL charged me 5.4% on the entire purchase + $15 of "convenience" fee. There is no arguing with DHL, so the vendor gave me the amount back in store credit (already have another pen on order ). 

HS Code 9608.30.11, go to "Harmonized Tariff Schedule":  https://hts.usitc.gov/current

Go to chapter 96 Miscellaneous manufactured articles: EU and most WTO trade partners are under "Generalized System of Preferences", A,  that' zero.

Sponsored Content

#22 Lam1

Lam1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:08

HS Code 9608.30.11, go to "Harmonized Tariff Schedule":  https://hts.usitc.gov/current

Go to chapter 96 Miscellaneous manufactured articles: EU and most WTO trade partners are under "Generalized System of Preferences", A,  that' zero.

Interesting. This must have changed recently (I looked into the tariffs about 3 years ago). 

But, in any case, it is my experience that both Fedex and DHL will charge you, regardless of what you have in the packet, if it goes above $800. And, usually, the rate that they apply is steep. And it is impossible to reach them to file a complaint. 

On several occasions I had only FPs in the package and it was more than $800: charged every time if it is DHL or Fedex!

Edited by Lam1, 21 September 2020 - 04:14.

#23 dbs

dbs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:53

Interesting. This must have changed recently (I looked into the tariffs about 3 years ago). 

But, in any case, it is my experience that both Fedex and DHL will charge you, regardless of what you have in the packet, if it goes above $800. And, usually, the rate that they apply is steep. And it is impossible to reach them to file a complaint. 

On several occasions I had only FPs in the package and it was more than $800: charged every time if it is DHL or Fedex!

DHL/Fedex is just a broker, can only submit tax form on your behalf, could not determine the actual tax rate.

The tax rate is based on Pro Forma invoice submitted by shipper. If there is no such invoice, or no clear invoice, you will be billed the default tax rate. Actually, both DHL and Fedex are e-clearance capable. The CUSTOMS usually will be cleared ahead of your package arrival port of entry.

#24 Lam1

Lam1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:06

DHL/Fedex is just a broker, can only submit tax form on your behalf, could not determine the actual tax rate.

The tax rate is based on Pro Forma invoice submitted by shipper. If there is no such invoice, or no clear invoice, you will be billed the default tax rate. Actually, both DHL and Fedex are e-clearance capable. The CUSTOMS usually will be cleared ahead of your package arrival port of entry.

Well, all I know is that, in my case, with 4 different sellers from 4 different countries (3 in the EU) and all packages with clear invoice stating FP, I was always charged if it came via DHL and Fedex (and it was above the limit), and I was never charged if it came via the regular postal service of the country. (None of the sellers was Appelboom, from whom I never purchased anything.)

#25 dbs

dbs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:00

Well, all I know is that, in my case, with 4 different sellers from 4 different countries (3 in the EU) and all packages with clear invoice stating FP, I was always charged if it came via DHL and Fedex (and it was above the limit), and I was never charged if it came via the regular postal service of the country. (None of the sellers was Appelboom, from whom I never purchased anything.)

The correct way is "Fountain pen ---without ink", country of origin: DE

If you go Fedex and claim "Fountain pen", sometime you get TSCA form.  You select "Negative Certificate" and no duty will be billed. Only 1-2 weeks delay.

Depends on broker office, Fedex may not want to bother you to fill in TSCA form, then you will be billed 2.7% duty for ink.

Your claimed $800 limit (actually is $1600) is for USPS clearance agency before May 2020. 

#26 Penlvr

Penlvr

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2020 - 17:53

Now I am very confused.  I will pay the sales tax + duty as required by our domestic law in the USA. The maximum price is today's exchange is about $550, so I will wait for the Customs go guide me if they are so inclined. I do not have any brokers as I am just a simple collector-library nerd. Thanks for all your help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc

Sponsored Content

|