hari317

The WALITY 69TS is the smaller version of the 69TL. Just like the 58C being a "mini me " version of the 71J.

However the 69TS has some differences. Firstly, it has a single start cap thread as compared to the 4 starts of the 69TL. Secondly, the barrel and cap have the same diameter so there is a small step up at the end of the cap threads on the barrel.

fpn_1600498570__3a7081bc-c907-465a-8c5b-

fpn_1600498615__23faa98e-6af8-45b4-971e-

The stock GP fine nib a no 5.5 Indian:

fpn_1600498663__c0d8d69c-474c-481e-9203-

As I love to experiment, one of the following pens is upgraded with the Schmidt system FH341.

fpn_1600498727__43ff6df4-9948-44cd-aa6b-

fpn_1600498794__4c46ca98-a0d4-4cfa-860e-

fpn_1600499355__fe061b0c-5771-4fb1-93b8-

L-R: Schmidt FH31, Stock, Schmidt FH341

The 69TL with the TS:

fpn_1600499457__9fd096c4-9989-4fb4-bc33-

fpn_1600499542__13fd1d1b-3742-46b4-b2b3-

Some experiments with third party nib systems on the 69TL, stock is a no 8 Indian.

fpn_1600499629__2716702d-632f-473c-a4c9-

fpn_1600499710__7045683a-c68d-4743-8b81-

L-R: Schmidt FH31, Pelikan M200, Stock, Bock-Conklin no 6 set v deep, Schmidt FH341

Finally a size comparison:

fpn_1600499796__1b12a4f6-e48b-4690-bf7a-

Lamy 2000, TL, TS, Pelikan M200.

Even though the 69TS is not as popular or as well known as the 69TL, I really like these pens. Ideal for tucking into small pockets or to give to your child ( with a good smooth nib).

Cheers,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Savit

• smruthib

• Dip n Scratch

They look nice as always great to see the nib mods done, they take time and effort must say (not for me honestly...not yet at least). I got my 69EB yesterday and was doing initial testings and trying to fit Kanwrite no 6 nibs (did not fit was fun though).

Anyway great photographs Hari, thanks for sharing.

They look nice as always great to see the nib mods done, they take time and effort must say (not for me honestly...not yet at least). I got my 69EB yesterday and was doing initial testings and trying to fit Kanwrite no 6 nibs (did not fit was fun though).

Anyway great photographs Hari, thanks for sharing.

You are welcome.

Its possible to install a no 35 kw nib in the EB. It needs a little bit of technique and you have to set it really deep to clear the inner cap.

Its more straightforward to install a KW no 8 nib. Its a straight swap. Hope this helps.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Great pics!! Is the ink capacity very different between ts and tl? Does it have an effect on tendency to burp? Thanks!

Thank you. The TS holds 1.82ml whereas the TL holds 2.6ml. So yes on a large pen with low ink levels you are at a greater risk. However you can mitigate it using a nice feeder like the ones found in the Schmidt system.

• 9 months later...

@hari317 I got a Wality 69TS pen last week. I liked the pen. However, I found that the feed was loose fitting into the section. With the nib and feed fit to the section, a reasonably firm pressure is able to displace the nib deep into the section. Maybe because of this, the pen was leaking from the nib even when barrel was full with ink. I checked the 69TL, 71JT and 70B feeds and none of them had loose fitting feeds with the section.

Are such issues common or is it a one-off incident?

Can you suggest anything that I can try to correct this issue? If I am unable to do anything I will get a replacement from the shop, but I would like to try.

Could it be because of imperfections in ebonite feed or section as suggested in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgpTeMoGjao

Thanks in advance..

@hari317 Also, with the Schmidt nib unit in place, do you expect to experience less burping compared to stock nib-feed configuration?

The size of 69TS is quite optimum and cosy for my hands. If such a nib upgrade was available in the market, I will be happy to purchase one..

15 minutes ago, bestillmysoul said:

@hari317 I got a Wality 69TS pen last week. I liked the pen. However, I found that the feed was loose fitting into the section. With the nib and feed fit to the section, a reasonably firm pressure is able to displace the nib deep into the section. Maybe because of this, the pen was leaking from the nib even when barrel was full with ink. I checked the 69TL, 71JT and 70B feeds and none of them had loose fitting feeds with the section.

Are such issues common or is it a one-off incident?

Can you suggest anything that I can try to correct this issue? If I am unable to do anything I will get a replacement from the shop, but I would like to try.

Could it be because of imperfections in ebonite feed or section as suggested in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgpTeMoGjao

Thanks in advance..

A loose fitting nib is always bad news. The cause can be an oversized bore or undersized feed ( less likely). 

with the pen devoid of ink and dry, point the nib towards a strong source of light and look from the feed side. Ideally you should see a single shaft of light through the channel on the feed. If you see annular light around the feed, you have a problem. I suggest you try to return the pen stating clearly that the nib is loose to the touch. The solution may be as simple as fitting a slightly oversized feed. Do you have access to a pair of vernier calipers? Can you tell me what’s the shaft diameter of your feed? 
I did not watch the video. Issue can be with feed or section.  In any case,  fitting an oversize feeder is the only solution other than asking for a replacement pen and hoping it’s ok. I have found this to be a batch issue. Some batches ( while boxes of 10 pens) have the same issue. It happens. 

19 minutes ago, bestillmysoul said:

@hari317 Also, with the Schmidt nib unit in place, do you expect to experience less burping compared to stock nib-feed configuration?

The size of 69TS is quite optimum and cosy for my hands. If such a nib upgrade was available in the market, I will be happy to purchase one..

Yes I certainly expect that. Tell me what’s your experience with burping using the stock setup given your location in the south. I found burping a non issue at my location provided the nib and feed are a sound fit in the section. My main motivation for installing these third party nibs is for the nibs. I like wider nibs. 

9 minutes ago, hari317 said:

A loose fitting nib is always bad news. The cause can be an oversized bore or undersized feed ( less likely). 

with the pen devoid of ink and dry, point the nib towards a strong source of light and look from the feed side. Ideally you should see a single shaft of light through the channel on the feed. If you see annular light around the feed, you have a problem. I suggest you try to return the pen stating clearly that the nib is loose to the touch. The solution may be as simple as fitting a slightly oversized feed. Do you have access to a pair of vernier calipers? Can you tell me what’s the shaft diameter of your feed? 
I did not watch the video. Issue can be with feed or section.  In any case,  fitting an oversize feeder is the only solution other than asking for a replacement pen and hoping it’s ok. I have found this to be a batch issue. Some batches ( while boxes of 10 pens) have the same issue. It happens. 

Thanks, Hari.. Will check it and see.. Maybe from next time, I should test this issue in the shop itself.. I had got some Hero and WingSung pens from the shop, about which I was wary of the quality, and tested it.. But the Wality pens I thought would be good and thought no need to test... Lesson learnt....

8 minutes ago, hari317 said:

Yes I certainly expect that. Tell me what’s your experience with burping using the stock setup given your location in the south. I found burping a non issue at my location provided the nib and feed are a sound fit in the section. My main motivation for installing these third party nibs is for the nibs. I like wider nibs. 

The two eyedropper pens that I have used long enough and with multiple ink-refills regularly are Gama Supreme flat top and Deccan Author. Deccan Author burps badly at about 1/3rd ink level. Strangely enough, Gama Supreme does not burp for me. The writing becomes wetter and wetter with low ink levels, but never burped for me. Also, I should mention that the flat top Gama Supreme (bought from ASA) has a relatively low ink capacity. As in, although the barrel is huge, only a small part of the barrel carries ink. I don't know whether that played a role.

Anyway, after a couple of burping incidents from Author, I started being careful with both pens by periodically refilling and ensuring that ink levels do not fall below a level. With demonstrator pens like 69TS it will be even more easier; I can just refill every day or so and keep using it. So in that sense, burping is not an issue for me (though burping happens to some of my pens for reasons I am unaware of). Maybe the burping I experience is because I move frequently from AC rooms to hot outside climates...

1 hour ago, bestillmysoul said:

Thanks, Hari.. Will check it and see.. Maybe from next time, I should test this issue in the shop itself.. I had got some Hero and WingSung pens from the shop, about which I was wary of the quality, and tested it.. But the Wality pens I thought would be good and thought no need to test... Lesson learnt....

You are lucky to have a local shop carrying wingsung WALITY etc. even in mumbai WALITY is not easily available. Always test a pen in the shop. It’s a part of the buying process and the sellers appreciate it as well. You are buying to use not gift. 

1 hour ago, bestillmysoul said:

The two eyedropper pens that I have used long enough and with multiple ink-refills regularly are Gama Supreme flat top and Deccan Author. Deccan Author burps badly at about 1/3rd ink level. Strangely enough, Gama Supreme does not burp for me. The writing becomes wetter and wetter with low ink levels, but never burped for me. Also, I should mention that the flat top Gama Supreme (bought from ASA) has a relatively low ink capacity. As in, although the barrel is huge, only a small part of the barrel carries ink. I don't know whether that played a role.

Anyway, after a couple of burping incidents from Author, I started being careful with both pens by periodically refilling and ensuring that ink levels do not fall below a level. With demonstrator pens like 69TS it will be even more easier; I can just refill every day or so and keep using it. So in that sense, burping is not an issue for me (though burping happens to some of my pens for reasons I am unaware of). Maybe the burping I experience is because I move frequently from AC rooms to hot outside climates...

Yes low ink capacity means lower air volume as ink depletes so lesser burp effects. Moving from ac environment to hot outdoors frequently will certainly require a well buffered feeding system. 

2 hours ago, hari317 said:

You are lucky to have a local shop carrying wingsung WALITY etc. even in mumbai WALITY is not easily available. Always test a pen in the shop. It’s a part of the buying process and the sellers appreciate it as well. You are buying to use not gift. 

Yes low ink capacity means lower air volume as ink depletes so lesser burp effects. Moving from ac environment to hot outdoors frequently will certainly require a well buffered feeding system. 

The shopkeeper told me that large Wality acrylic pens are called "Kalaignar" pen in tamil nadu, because Mr. Karunanidhi used it daily for long writing.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/karunanidhi-and-his-love-for-the-fountain-pen/article24637375.ece

Apparently, Mr. MK Stalin, the current chief minister, uses his father's Wality pens for important official signatures.

Interesting information, I was unaware of... I was under the impression that Wality pens are popular only around Mumbai and maharashtra..

The street I got the pens from has 2 tiny pen shops side by side.. The street nearby has plenty of offices of notaries and lawyers, who buy and use fountain pens.. Even so, users are less.. Wality & wing-sung pen boxes are covered in dust..

The shopkeeper has agreed to get Pilot Tank and some other old pens for me in the next visit -  let us see how it goes!

I saw a box of Wing-Sung 840 in the shop (with conical nib, reviewed here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340261-quick-review-of-wing-sung-840/

The pen seems sturdy in construction and looks good with it's conical nib. It is sold for Rs. 250/- (don't know if it is costly). If anybody wants it, I can get it and send it to them.

10 hours ago, bestillmysoul said:

Wality & wing-sung pen boxes are covered in dust..

WALITY prices keep galloping every quarter. If you find old stock buy and keep ( of the stock is good of course) 

yes I read all the buzz about TN CM using one of his fathers pens. I also saw some interviews of Gem and Co Pratap ji and Taj pens , Mylapore on the 69T. No one thought of interviewing the guys who actually make this pen here. 
WALITY is hugely popular. Very difficult to find in mumbai in stationery shops. But available in rural Maharashtra. I have seen dealers picking up carton loads of pens. Dealers from Dhulia, nagar  and other places. I first saw a WALITY in Ahmedabad, Gujrat. All my years in Pune the pens available locally were Butterfly, Jupiter and Wilson jotters. Never saw a WALITY. Whereas there is a prominent distributor sitting in Raviwar peth. 

On 9/19/2020 at 11:42 PM, hari317 said:

Thank you. The TS holds 1.82ml whereas the TL holds 2.6ml. So yes on a large pen with low ink levels you are at a greater risk. However you can mitigate it using a nice feeder like the ones found in the Schmidt system.

Hari sir,

My 69T keeps leaking into the cap when stored upside down, can this also be fixed using a schmidt feeder?

1 minute ago, smruthib said:

Hari sir,

My 69T keeps leaking into the cap when stored upside down, can this also be fixed using a schmidt feeder?

Actually avoid storing your fountain pen nib down.

The easiest feed swap for the 69T is to use a Sheaffer NN feed. Pls see the finned feeders thread. 

14 minutes ago, hari317 said:

Actually avoid storing your fountain pen nib down.

The easiest feed swap for the 69T is to use a Sheaffer NN feed. Pls see the finned feeders thread. 

In usually don't, but when I accidentally do, only the wality leaks, others don't.

Thank you. I will check it out.

The only time I ever leave a Wality nib-down is when the pen has been newly filled. learned that the messy way.

Hero 232 takes a day or two to wash out of your hands. Rather my hands that the carpet!

19 minutes ago, Dip n Scratch said:

The only time I ever leave a Wality nib-down is when the pen has been newly filled. learned that the messy way.

Hero 232 takes a day or two to wash out of your hands. Rather my hands that the carpet!

Haha, ain't that the truth.

So it's a wality thing? I mistakenly stored my pen pouch down once and only the Wality leaked.

1 hour ago, Dip n Scratch said:

The only time I ever leave a Wality nib-down is when the pen has been newly filled

Force Priming the feed is super easy with an ED pen. There’s no need to leave the pen nib down and risk a mishap.