Pelikan 100N

High_Noon

My 100N's currently disassembled after the cork disintegrated, but my recollection is that it's closer to my M400 in general size. It always worked perfectly prior to corkdeath with any ink I used in it, from 4001 to Penman. I've always felt more comfortable with a modern Pel as an EDC though, simply because in the event of misfortune, there are only gradually decreasing numbers of vintage pens in existence.

I'm leaning towards the 100N Broad.

Well, I'm not familiar with the lady, but she has good taste in pens!

And I didn't have the heart to tell her why.
And there wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• High_Noon

• mana

• Christopher Godfrey

• carola

Well, I now have a bit of a dilemma, the fella with the “fully restored” broad 100N, has now offered a price of $215.00 and I have about 30 hours left to decide. The problem is that there's a “mint, unused” broad 100N that’s currently at $63.00 w/ 4 days of bidding left and an OB 100N currently at $52.00 w/ 5 days of bidding left. I imagine that both of these – especially the unused one – will exceed $215.00, but who knows? I don’t want to lose the deal on the fully restored one, so I should probably just pull the trigger on that one. Agreed?

carola: While your observation is certainly correct, I was referring to this specific purchase. I do indeed plan to get a 400 at some point…

Seney724: I agree. 100N it is, this time around. Why do you “far” prefer the 400s over the 400NNs?

pearlfox: Your EDC approach is certainly logical. As for the ‘broad,’ indeed.

Edited by High_Noon

Well, I now have a bit of a dilemma, the fella with fully restored broad 100N, has now offered a price of $215.00 and I have about 30 hours left to decide. The problem is that there a mint, unused broad 100N thats currently at $63.00 w/ 4 days of bidding left and an OB 100N currently at $52.00 w/ 5 days of bidding left. I imagine that both of these especially the unused one will exceed $215.00, but who knows? I dont want to lose the deal on the fully restored one, so I should probably just pull the trigger on that one. Agreed?

Pretty hard to comment on those without seeing the details (and yes, they do actually matter). In general, if you like what you see and you can afford it, buy that one and forget the rest. You can always buy more later if you actually like that particular type of pen/model etc.

On estimating final auction sale prices... check out the final sale prices of pens in similar condition and with similar features, ebay has a search filter option for that (sold items).

mana: Thanks. The "fully restored" 100N, in question, looks to be in good condition. I do not see any significant scratches or cracks. The pen is described as a 'user' pen with no problems, other than some slight brassing at the end of the clip. The "fully restored" and "user pen" description of this particular 100N would seem to indicate that there's probably more than a bit of visible wear to the pen, not visible in the photos, which may be of concern since the seller does not accept returns. Perhaps I should forget this particular 100N and look for another. I don't want to spend $200.00+ on a pen if I'm not going to be totally satisfied with its condition.

Edited by High_Noon

Well, I now have a bit of a dilemma, the fella with “fully restored” broad 100N, has now offered a price of $215.00 and I have about 30 hours left to decide. The problem is that there a “mint, unused” broad 100N that’s currently at $63.00 w/ 4 days of bidding left and an OB 100N currently at $52.00 w/ 5 days of bidding left. I imagine that both of these – especially the unused one – will exceed $215.00, but who knows?

A few points to consider:

1. Which seems like the one you'd enjoy the most, regardless of price?

2. How much are you willing to pay for whichever would make you happiest?

3. Checking eBay's completed auctions can give you a rough idea what you can expect the current auctions to sell for, if you can find anything similar.

4. You could always get more than one, then flip the one(s) you don't like as much.

And I didn't have the heart to tell her why.
And there wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye.

Seney724: I agree. 100N it is, this time around. Why do you “far” prefer the 400s over the 400NNs?

• I prefer the lower profile, more flat cap top.
  • Also the earlier 400 nibs with "Pelikan" written in script (as opposed to the later 400, 400N & 400NN nibs with the Pelikan logo and "fir tree" design) are, IMO, better more vintage-classic nibs.
  • Finally, I think there is more vibrant & diverse Tortoise colors in the 400 as opposed to the 400NN.

Seney724: Certainly something to consider when I start looking for a 400. Thx.

Edited by High_Noon

Hello from Lithuania!

Very nice tread and discussion you started, @High_noon. My two cents goes for 100N and I fully agree with @Mana review and stated advantages.

I want to add one more pros.- this model from Peiikan is joy for collector, because a wide range of variations was produced during 17 years up to 1954:

- different finish from green marbled up to tortoises or lizards, changes in materials during timeline.

- different places of production/assembling: Portugal version "Emege", Milano, Danzig and of course Germany.

- 100 N with integrated barrel from one piece.. "Emege" and Milano brands.

- Short cap top- long cap top.. and etcera.

and, of course, nibs.. you can find nibs almost in any nib point and flexibility.

But this advantage could be easily reverted to minus as it emptying a wallet. :D

Mine is a green window, there for post war pen. They made both the 100n and the Ibis to 1954. So I am sure mine is '50's in it ahs a super-flex gold nib. The nib will go 5X a light down stroke, but having read Richard Binder's article on metal fatigue i strive not to flex it more than 4X.

Not all CN war nibs are semi-flex or better. I bought a loose war nib, and it was only regular flex.

(I was pleasantly surprised the Ibis has a find semi-flex gold nib....I'd expected steel or gold plated.)

There are always decisions in life. As soon as we set up in an indoor flea market, I went left instead of right.

Coming back, at the table next to us to the right was an old Pelikan.....exactly which I didn't know, other than I'd thought I'd never be able to afford one. A minty 100n. Unfortunately, she wanted more than the 5 Euros she'd taken, in some gent came by and told her it was worth lots of money. I bargained it down to E-20. Someguy's cousin.

It is a shorter pen than the 400 so one should post it. Then it is long enough and well balanced.

Un-posted it has lousy balance. No one bought a lousy balanced pen back in the day of One Man, One Pen. The medium-small, standard, and medium-large vintage pens all balanced well when posted.

Besides better nibs, one gets great balance in vintage pens.................the large thick clunky modern pens don't have balance.

If one fears mars, wax the pen. I've been waxing my pens for years and none have mars...................actually few had mars to start with, but a couple were Semi-Chrome finger polished so the mars vanished. After waxing no mars.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Barutti: Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have indeed noticed that there are many 100N variations; though, many of these variations are difficult to find and are expensive. Many are quite good-looking as well. I was not aware that some of these 100Ns were produced in countries other than Germany. As far as nibs are concerned, the gold B flex or OB is what holds my interest the most at the moment. And you’re certainly correct that a fountain pen obsession can quickly empty a wallet!

Bo Bo Olson: Thanks for the information. I did not realize that the green ink window was post war, nor did I realize that the 100N was shorter than the 400, but I am a poster, so this shouldn’t be an issue. The 100N I am currently considering, as mentioned above, does not appear to have an ink window, which I had not seen before, so am I correct in assuming that this would indicate it’s a pre-war 100N? Regarding metal fatigue, your method of limiting the flex is definitely a good idea as these pens are approaching 80 years old.

I’m sure your story regarding decisions in life, rings true for most of us. My method with respect to these decisions, including fountain pens, is to attempt to take my time and make certain that the decision is the correct one for me at that particular moment. Certainly, if the item is something that is very rare, something I have been searching for, and something that’s in good/excellent condition I will pull the trigger to make sure I don’t miss out. Missed opportunities happen, but I have learned that only on rare occasions will I be unable to find a similar or even a better example with diligent searching at some point in the future. This method does not always meet with success, but it has worked for me time and time again.

Balance is particularly important to me. As an example, I have an exceptionally nice Montegrappa Ballpoint that has horrendous balance – it is extremely top-heavy and makes for a rather uncomfortable writing experience. Not only that, the top-heavy weight distribution and the overall heavy-weight of this particular pen weighs down the shirt pocket and it’s generally a PITA to use and carry. Therefore, it occupies a slot in my pen case – I don’t believe I’ve used it in 4 or 5 years, so it’s basically an expensive paper weight. Conversely, the balance, weight and size of my M605 is almost perfect and provides an excellent writing experience, so it’s my current favorite and EDC.

Thanks for the wax and Semichrome tip, which is something I probably would not have considered.

I wish you a good week.

Edited by High_Noon

mana: Thank you, that will come in handy.

The 100N I was considering has sold, which is ok b/c I wasn't entirely enamored with it anyway. I've found a few more broad 100Ns I'm considering, which appear to be in better condition, so I'm confident I can find a good one.

Edited by High_Noon

Amber was Pre War....Pens were stopped being made in May of '43, they were warned in March of '43.

A fully black ink window, well I saw on on the link....but it must be rare...or there would be more folks talking about the ones with out an ink window. The one you refer too was the first one I recall reading about.

Mine has a gold nib so is well after the war. Hitler stole the gold in the Summer of '38.

Could be someone up graded their nib some time after the war into the early '50's.

Once pens were used for a decade or more. One Man, One Pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Bo Bo Olson: I could certainly be mistaken, the photos of that 100N were not great, but it sure looked like it didn't have an ink window. Maybe it was filled with black ink. I didn't get a chance to ask.

Edited by High_Noon

Maybe it was filled with black ink.

If the 100N has a belly full of ink then ink of pretty much any color will make that ink window opaque, dark or even black. Also, in the earlier production pens (stepped BHR section & celluloid barrel) the cellulloid can have ambered to a point where it is almost black and opaque.

As in, the celluloid barrels were originally fully transparent and almost colorless but due to aging and chemical imbalances and impurities in the material itself, contribute to the barrels losing transparency and darkening all by themselves. They are nowadays usually found in colors ranging from somewhat transparent amber to almost opaque black. The inks used can also contribute to the change in ink window transparency.

mana: Thanks for the interesting information regarding ink windows. I'm currently looking at another B 100N that is purported to never have been used. The green ink window looks brand new as does the 14K B nib. I hope bidding doesn't reach astronomical heights and I'm able to get it for a decent price. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

mana: Thanks for the interesting information regarding ink windows. I'm currently looking at another B 100N that is purported to never have been used. The green ink window looks brand new as does the 14K B nib. I hope bidding doesn't reach astronomical heights and I'm able to get it for a decent price. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Cool, wilco!

Well, that mint Broad 100N sold for $305.00. More than I wanted to spend. The search continues.

Edited by High_Noon

<... style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">The green ink window looks brand new...>

Others here will confirm: this also simply denote that someone has replaced the barrel with a modern one, for this is perfectly feasible. There are people out there who make replacement barrels collars for the nib/feed units. File this away in your someday-may-need-to-know drawer...! (There is even someone who will make you a replacement, one-off binde for your Pelikan!)

Good luck with the hunt and do keep us apprised of any success, won't you?