The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Id This Pen, Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PithyProlix

PithyProlix

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:36

Please help me identify.

Attached Images

• parker_2.jpg
  • parker_1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:53

Parker Sonnet Tartan with gold trim?

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#3 PithyProlix

PithyProlix

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:20

Parker Sonnet Tartan with gold trim?

Thank you - I think you are right.

#4 Kenlowe

Kenlowe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:16

Are you convinced that it is a genuine Parker?

#5 PithyProlix

PithyProlix

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:28

Are you convinced that it is a genuine Parker?

I don't think it is - there's no date code.

#6 Kenlowe

Kenlowe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:36

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas but there are hundreds, possibly thousands, of fake Parker Sonnets around, some are actually quite good pens but not a Parker. I have bought one knowing it to be a fake to do a comparison between the real and the fake, without having the two in your hand it is quite difficult to tell them apart.

There are some good sites that can help you check out the pen, one is penhero and search for parker sonnet clone.

A very quick test is to see if the nib is magnetic, a Sonnet nib will not be attracted to a magnet.. although the fakers have got very clever with that one. After that it is a case of looking at the engraving on the clip and the cap band, the overall quality.

What put me on alert was the converter, that is not a genuine Parker converter.

I cannot see too much detail on your pics, but here is an example of a fake nib (top) and a genuine Parker.

You will see that the fake is a bit brassy looking and the engraving is not quite as crisp and deep.

It is a pity that the fakers just don't make their own pen instead of making a pen that tries to decieve people, they obviously have some manufacturing skills.

fpn_1600335503__parkersonnetclones02.jpg

Edited by Kenlowe, 17 September 2020 - 09:42.

Sponsored Content

|