Jammed Nib & Feed - Cannot Remove

diesel

I have a Nemosine Singularity in which the nib & feed are stuck in it and will not come out. I've even tried taking pliers to the nib to pull it out, as I don't care about the nib and have many replacements for it. Any tips on how to get this thing to budge? I wiggle & pull, and have wiggled as hard as I am willing to as any more force and I may damage the pen. I'm considering either hot or cold water, I was thinking cold as the metal will contract faster, but perhaps hot would open the curl and that's what is digging in. I really don't know. Any help is much appreaciated.

Thanks.

Pilot Custom 742 FA Black & Gold, Kaweco Liliput Copper EF, Kaweco Liliput Copper F, Lamy Aion Black F, TWSBI Diamond 580 AL Emerald EF, F, 1.1, Lamy Joy Calligraphy Black 1.1, 1.5, 1.9, Lamy Lx Marron EF, F, 1.1, Kaweco Ice Sport Glow 1.9, Cross Century Black F, Kaweco Special Dip Black, Noodler's Ahab Clear Flex, Noodler's Konrad Clear Flex, Noodler's Creaper Clear Flex, Sailor Compass 1911 Clear MF, Sailor HighAce Calligraphy 1.0, Pilot CoCoon Blue F, Pilot Metropolitan Black F, Noodler's Charlie Demo, Platinum Preppy Crystal F03, Platinum Preppy Black EF02, Platinum Preppy Black F03, Lamy Safari Petrol M, Nemosine Singularity Demo 0.8mm — Updated: 2021.08.07

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diesel

• A Smug Dill

• Ron Z

• MoriartyR

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds a bit drastic. Also, in my opinion, the best thing about the Nemosine Singularity is the nib; the pen body is cheaply (but not poorly) constructed, and the cheaper-pricewise Jinhao X750 is a better pen body if you're just looking for a glorified nib holder for a #6 nib. Ah well, each to their own.

I don't think the nib will slip over the top of the feed if you try to pull it out with pliers. In my experience with my many Singularities, the nib and feed always come out together. Usually it took a bit of force the first time, and became easier after that.

A thin strip of rubber or silicone pot-holder could aid your grip. I'd grip around the stem from the nib side, and try not to touch the (fins on the) feed in the process.

If you've been using the pen before, there may be some build-up of dried ink that is making the nib removal harder. A long soak overnight followed by a syringe-bulb power flush may help resolve that problem. A cleaning cycle in an ultrasonic cleaner would be even better.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

in my opinion, the best thing about the Nemosine Singularity is the nib; the pen body is cheaply (but not poorly) constructed, and the cheaper-pricewise Jinhao X750 is a better pen body if you're just looking for a glorified nib holder for a #6 nib. Ah well, each to their own.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, it's not the Nemosine nib that is stuck in there, but a Zebra G. At the time, it was the pen body I had that I wasn't using and I like the way it feels in my hand so I was using it, quite successfully, for some copperplate practice & letters. I now have, like you say, less expensive pens that I use for this, and was going to swap the Nemosine nib back in, however getting this G nib out is a pain. It's possibly due to my tapping the tip the of the nib during practice.

I don't think the nib will slip over the top of the feed if you try to pull it out with pliers. In my experience with my many Singularities, the nib and feed always come out together. Usually it took a bit of force the first time, and became easier after that.

A thin strip of rubber or silicone pot-holder could aid your grip. I'd grip around the stem from the nib side, and try not to touch the (fins on the) feed in the process.

If you've been using the pen before, there may be some build-up of dried ink that is making the nib removal harder. A long soak overnight followed by a syringe-bulb power flush may help resolve that problem. A cleaning cycle in an ultrasonic cleaner would be even better.

I appreciate the info. We don't have a rubber/silicone gripper, like for opening jars or whatever, and it's been on my shopping list for exactly this purpose. If I see one at the grocery store tomorrow I'll pick it up. In the meantime, and overnight soak like you suggest will be what I'm doing. I had been using it, but it's been a long time since it's been inked. I believe I flushed it prior to storage, that's my typical habit, but things get missed from time to time and it's been long enough that I can't recall one way or the other. I have no ultrasonic cleaner, so I won't be able to do that. Thanks for describing in detail how you would grab it as well, I'll definitely pay close attention when attempting to remove it again after the soak.

Thanks.

Pilot Custom 742 FA Black & Gold, Kaweco Liliput Copper EF, Kaweco Liliput Copper F, Lamy Aion Black F, TWSBI Diamond 580 AL Emerald EF, F, 1.1, Lamy Joy Calligraphy Black 1.1, 1.5, 1.9, Lamy Lx Marron EF, F, 1.1, Kaweco Ice Sport Glow 1.9, Cross Century Black F, Kaweco Special Dip Black, Noodler's Ahab Clear Flex, Noodler's Konrad Clear Flex, Noodler's Creaper Clear Flex, Sailor Compass 1911 Clear MF, Sailor HighAce Calligraphy 1.0, Pilot CoCoon Blue F, Pilot Metropolitan Black F, Noodler's Charlie Demo, Platinum Preppy Crystal F03, Platinum Preppy Black EF02, Platinum Preppy Black F03, Lamy Safari Petrol M, Nemosine Singularity Demo 0.8mm — Updated: 2021.08.07

Sorry, I should have been more clear, it's not the Nemosine nib that is stuck in there, but a Zebra G._...‹snip›... however getting this G nib out is a pain. It's possibly due to my tapping the tip the of the nib during practice.

If I were a better betting man, I'd say the stem of the G nib has rusted and that's what is causing everything to be stuck inside the gripping section. I'd just thrown a Jinhao X450 out with the garbage yesterday for exactly that reason. Neither the silicone grip nor pliers helped make the nib budge. A cleaning cycle in my ultrasonic cleaner, with the gripping section (with nib, feed and all) sitting inside a glass beaker filled with diluted ammonia solution (nevertheless more concentrated than clear "household ammonia" someone could get from the average supermarket in the US, I guess, but I don't know with certainty because we can't get that stuff here) caused rust to fall off and sit at the bottom of the beaker, but it didn't really help.

In the meantime, and overnight soak like you suggest will be what I'm doing. I had been using it, but it's been a long time since it's been inked.

I think a long soak overnight would only make the rust problem worse.

I believe I flushed it prior to storage, that's my typical habit, but things get missed from time to time and it's been long enough that I can't recall one way or the other.

I don't think it would have mattered. Clean water that remained in the section and feed would still have caused the G nib to rust. You have to pull the G nib out and store it separately after use, if you're not going to be using the pen constantly, and you don't want it to rust (or at least not damage your pen if the nib rusts anyway).

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 10 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, MoriartyR said:

Fridge?

I'm not sure I follow what you're asking. Are you asking if I've tried putting the nib & section in the refrigerator? I have not; are you suggesting I put the nib & section in the refrigerator for some extended period of time? And then it should be easy to remove the nib, or is there more to it? 

There are cases where the nib and feed are tight enough that you can not pull them out together - common with the modern Sheaffers like the Prelude/NN/Connaisseur - i.e. the pens that have open nibs.   I've seen cases where the feed snaps instead of coming out.  You need to coax the nib out first, and then the feed.  Using a grippy pad, wiggle and pull the nib.  That removes the wedge of the nib, and you can often use your fingers to pull the nib feed out.

Some modern nib units (looking at you Schmidt) have a brass band swagged onto the end of the collar that tightens things and keeps you from pulling the nib and feed out.  They won't budge until the band is cut off.

re. grippy pads.  Harbor Freight and Walmart sell rubber shelf liners - a rubber coated open mesh, that can be cut into small pieces.  Enough for a LOT of grippy pads, and they're pretty cheap.  $7 for 6 ft.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.