Flex Nibs And Pen Bodies

wacomme

I'm wanting to buy a flex pen, mostly for fun and to try my hand at writing with it. After a lot of searching I'm leaning towards a Ranga 3C ebonite pen with an Kanwrite Ultra Flex nib. I'm in the process of inquiring from Ranga if their pen will fit a Kanwrite nib unit (screw-in nib and feed). Does is fit Bock, or would this be a custom modification? I've read about the virtues of ebonite, so what's why the Ranga intrigues me, plus they offer a nib unit vs. just the nib (I often hear nibs from India, especially the thick Kanwrite nibs, are hard to fit on most feeds). I've also ordered a Franklin-Chrisoph music nib (nib unit) that I was going to install on a Jinhao x750 pen and then hopefully on a PenBSS 323 pen when it arrives. However, I might consider ordering a second Ranga pen with a Jowo #6 nib unit fitting. This would surely fit the F-C music nib, correct? Has anyone done this? Good ink flow?

So, basically, I'm I headed in the right direction?

1) What's the best pen for a F-C music nib that's not a F-C pen? I've heard good success with PenBBS pens, but perhaps Ranga is better since the whole F-C nib unit can be installed vs. trying to fit the nib onto a PeBBS feed.

2) What's a good modern-day flex nib pen that's not too pricey? I've heard good things about the Kanwrite ultra flex steel nib. Which size - F or M or W? And then what body fits this nib, and writes well? FPN Himalaya V2 comes to mind, but then I saw Ranga. And if Ranga, which model?

Thank you.

Michael

Michael Chamberlin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wacomme

• BlueJ

• Ted A

• austinwft

The Flexible Nib Factory sells a nib unit with Jowo #6 threading and the Kanwrite Ultraflex nib on an optimized ebonite feed. You could use this with any pen threaded for Jowo #6, which would then also accommodate any of the F-C #6 nib units. I am not sure if the complete nib units sold by Kanwrite themselves follow the Jowo specifications or not. I suggest confirming all this with both Ranga and F-C before ordering.

I'm not finding many reviews for the FNP S6E-XF Steel JoWo #6 nib unit. It's also $49, much more expensive than buying the Kanwrite ultra flex nib unit direct from India. But if the Kanwrite unit doesn't fit . . .

I sent an email to Kanwrite asking if their screw-in nib assembly fits the JoWo#6 specs.

Michael Chamberlin

The Kanwrite/Ranga screw-in nib housing is not interchangeable with the JOWO #6 screw-in housing and swapping one of these nibs into the others housing would be iffy at best in my opinion. Getting a pen threaded for the JOWO #6 housing will certainly give you the greatest flexibility for future nib swaps.

As for the Flexible Nib Factory S6E-XF nib unit I have never used that exact item but have used many of there other ebonite feed/housing/collar products with great satisfaction. I just Monday of this week received a new Ranga Zayante from Peyton Street Pens which is threaded for the JOWO #6 housing. I purchased it without a nib assembly and screwed-in a FNF J6E JoWo #6 Ebonite Replacement Feed and Housing with a Goulet/JOWO #6 nib stuck in it and as with other FNF products it feeds and writes great. YMMV!

Edited by austinwft

Good to learn. Thank you. I may have to give up on Kanwrite nibs since I really don't want a Kanwrite pen. However, I wish I could find reviews of the Flexible Nib Factory S6E-XF nib. Despite the $49 for just the nib unit, it, along with a Ranga pen may be my best "inexpensive" option for a modern day flex pen that's cost effective and yet writes well.

I am looking at the Zayante from Peyton Street Pens. Would you choose that model again if you had to buy again? I think I'm favoring the Zayante instead of the Davenport or 4C.

Michael Chamberlin

I would certainly buy another PSP Zayante and equally like the Davenport. They are both the same size, I just prefer the rounded ends of the Zayante over the flat ends of the Davenport.

Both the Zayante and the Davenport are very close in size to my Pelikan M800s. The capped and uncapped lengths are insignificantly different and while the barrel and cap diameters of the Zayante are a little bigger than the M800 the section diameters are very close in size and feel in the hand.

And compared to the Zayante and/or Davenport, the 4C it is about 5/16" longer overall and certainly more girthy. I am personally not a fan of the trend toward over-sized pens but the 4C is a size I would be comfortable with.

One more note of difference between the Zayante and Davenport. The Zayante is not really meant to be posted while I do believe the Davenport does post well.

Wacomme:

I have a Flexible Nib Factory S6E-XF currently mounted in an Indian pen, An ASA Patriot threaded for Jowo #6. It is an enjoyable nib to use, smooth enough and able to flex from about EF to BB without excessive effort. Honestly though, this nib is not all that different from the nibs in the inexpensive Noodler's flex pens like the Ahab. The FNF has maybe a little bit wider range of line variation, especially at the fine end, and needs a little less force to flex, but the overall experience is very similar (in fact I think the Noodler's flex nibs come from the same source in India as the FNF.)

None of the above compare for flexibility and "snap back" (the ability to return quickly to a hair line after flexing) to dip nibs such as the Zebra G. However the FNF and Noodler's nibs are much smoother, easier to use and much more compatible with fountain pen feeds than dip nibs. Of course the stainless FP nibs last much longer too, since dip nibs are cheap consumables intended for frequent replacement (they rust and wear down quickly.) Personally, I have mostly given up on dip nibs as they don't suit my normal handwriting and I have no interest in learning proper flex calligraphy. The semi flex Indian nibs are a nice compromise in that they produce normal F or EF writing with light to moderate pressure, but the flex is there when you really want it.

Edited by BlueJ

Here's another nib/feed combo, though it seems to pair with a Jinhao x750 instead of a Ranga - https://fprevolutionusa.com/products/fpr-6-ultra-flex-nib-and-6-3mm-ebonite-flex-feed-combo#shopify-product-reviews.

And then there's the FPR Himalaya V2, which when paired with it's Steel EF Ultra Flex nib seems to be a good writer at $49. And the Himalaya can be purchased in ebonite too.

While I would prefer the Ranga over the Himalaya for the actual pen, I seem to have trouble finding a good flexible Jowo #6 screw-in nib unit to pair it with. Suggestions that have good reviews?

So, I might just buy the Himalaya V2, though I wonder if I could get it in a 5.5 nib instead of the 6; I've read the 5.5 is slightly better.

And, despite ordering a PenBBS 323 for the F-C music nib, I may consider the Ranga Zayante instead. The F-C nib will screw right into the Ranga vs trying to fit the F-C nib onto the PenBBS feed.

Thoughts? Does my rationale make sense? Suggestions?

Thanks. Michael

Michael Chamberlin

Wacomme:

I have a Flexible Nib Factory S6E-XF currently mounted in an Indian pen, An ASA Patriot threaded for Jowo #6. It is an enjoyable nib to use, smooth enough and able to flex from about EF to BB without excessive effort. Honestly though, this nib is not all that different from the nibs in the inexpensive Noodler's flex pens like the Ahab. The FNF has maybe a little bit wider range of line variation, especially at the fine end, and needs a little less force to flex, but the overall experience is very similar (in fact I think the Noodler's flex nibs come from the same source in India as the FNF.)

None of the above compare for flexibility and "snap back" (the ability to return quickly to a hair line after flexing) to dip nibs such as the Zebra G. However the FNF and Noodler's nibs are much smoother, easier to use and much more compatible with fountain pen feeds than dip nibs. Of course the stainless FP nibs last much longer too, since dip nibs are cheap consumables intended for frequent replacement (they rust and wear down quickly.) Personally, I have mostly given up on dip nibs as they don't suit my normal handwriting and I have no interest in learning proper flex calligraphy. The semi flex Indian nibs are a nice compromise in that they produce normal F or EF writing with light to moderate pressure, but the flex is there when you really want it.

Thank you. This helps in my decisions. I'm currently leaning towards a FPR Himalaya V2 with their flex nib. However, I might experiment with a Jinhao x750 and Zebra G nibs. I think a little modification is needed to get the nib to fit into the x750, but once installed it works fairly well.

Michael Chamberlin

I'm wanting to buy a flex pen, mostly for fun and to try my hand at writing with it. After a lot of searching I'm leaning towards a Ranga 3C ebonite pen with an Kanwrite Ultra Flex nib. I'm in the process of inquiring from Ranga if their pen will fit a Kanwrite nib unit (screw-in nib and feed). Does is fit Bock, or would this be a custom modification? I've read about the virtues of ebonite, so what's why the Ranga intrigues me, plus they offer a nib unit vs. just the nib (I often hear nibs from India, especially the thick Kanwrite nibs, are hard to fit on most feeds). I've also ordered a Franklin-Chrisoph music nib (nib unit) that I was going to install on a Jinhao x750 pen and then hopefully on a PenBSS 323 pen when it arrives. However, I might consider ordering a second Ranga pen with a Jowo #6 nib unit fitting. This would surely fit the F-C music nib, correct? Has anyone done this? Good ink flow?

So, basically, I'm I headed in the right direction?

1) What's the best pen for a F-C music nib that's not a F-C pen? I've heard good success with PenBBS pens, but perhaps Ranga is better since the whole F-C nib unit can be installed vs. trying to fit the nib onto a PeBBS feed.

2) What's a good modern-day flex nib pen that's not too pricey? I've heard good things about the Kanwrite ultra flex steel nib. Which size - F or M or W? And then what body fits this nib, and writes well? FPN Himalaya V2 comes to mind, but then I saw Ranga. And if Ranga, which model?

Thank you.

Michael

the KW nib units have two versions, Bock copy and JoWo copy. Both versions have plastic feeds and have a nipple for installing a cartridge or a converter. Just ask Ranga for a JoWo housing compatible pen. Then go ahead and buy your JoWo version Kanwrite nib unit. Install it on your Ranga and you are done. AFAIK, FC also uses JoWo housings, so the same Ranga will be useful for the FC nib unit too.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

the KW nib units have two versions, Bock copy and JoWo copy. Both versions have plastic feeds and have a nipple for installing a cartridge or a converter. Just ask Ranga for a JoWo housing compatible pen. Then go ahead and buy your JoWo version Kanwrite nib unit. Install it on your Ranga and you are done. AFAIK, FC also uses JoWo housings, so the same Ranga will be useful for the FC nib unit too.

This good to know. So, the KW nib units DO screw into the Ranga pens fitted for Jowo #6 nib units, correct? Fantastic!!!!

Michael Chamberlin

This good to know. So, the KW nib units DO screw into the Ranga pens fitted for Jowo #6 nib units, correct? Fantastic!!!!

I received this reply from KW nibs:

Dear sir

Pl note we are providing three types of threading in plastic #6 nib unit one for our Desire model, second for replacement of Bock old units and third for replacement of Jowo old units but regarding Ranga you must confirm with him as we got feedback that sometimes people having issues.

Regards

Sandeep

Now I wonder if the KW nib units will actually fit. I don't think the PSP Ranga Zayante's are "old" Jowo units.

Michael Chamberlin

I'm pretty sure the Flexible Nib Factory S6E-XF, the Fountain Pen Revolution "ultra flex" and the Kanwrite Ultra Flex are all the same nib, or very similar. They may come with somewhat different ebonite feeds though. As I mentioned, they are also similar to the Noodler's Ahab/Konrad flex nibs, especially if you do the "ease my flex mod" (side scallop cutouts) to the latter. When Kanwrite refer to "old units" they may simply mean original factory units.

There is also certainly nothing wrong with experimenting with dip nibs friction-fit into fountain pens. FNF offers a #6-compatible nib unit with a Zebra G on a feed optimized for that nib (among other things, the feed is a bit narrower than a #6 but the sleeve makes up the difference to fit, for example, Jowo threading.) Since the dip nibs are very thin you can also stretch or pinch them a little to fit a 6 or 5mm feed directly. This works with the Zebra G and also with the even more flexible Brause Rose, but the results are not ideal (some skipping and railroading are hard to prevent.)

Edited by BlueJ

My favorite modern is the FPR Himalaya V1. The 5.5 ultra flex. It doesn’t flex as easily as my Wahl Eversharp, but it does nicely. I also have Noodlers Ahabs, FPR Himalaya V2 and a Kanwrite.

The Kanwrite nib needs work. It gets ink starved. I was able to pull the nib out of the Kanwrite and replace it with a #6 Jowo. Not the housing, just nib.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

My favorite modern is the FPR Himalaya V1. The 5.5 ultra flex. It doesn’t flex as easily as my Wahl Eversharp, but it does nicely. I also have Noodlers Ahabs, FPR Himalaya V2 and a Kanwrite.

The Kanwrite nib needs work. It gets ink starved. I was able to pull the nib out of the Kanwrite and replace it with a #6 Jowo. Not the housing, just nib.

That's interesting. I was just going to place a Kanwrite order for the following:

Based on what I know, and don’t know, here’s what I’d like to order. I will order both the nib unit and just the nib since I don’t know which will fit in the Ranga pen.

No. 35 Nib Units - for Jowo fit
2 x Fine Ultra Flex
BB Zoom
BB Architect
Nibs Only - for Jowo #6
3 x fine ultra flex
BB Zoom
BB Architect
Would you happen to have any ebonite feeds for the nibs? If so, I’m interested. I didn’t see those in the pricing.
This will cost be $45. But for $42 I can get the Himalaya v1 with the 5.5 ultra flex nib. I'm wondering if the FPR is the better option.
Michael
Edited by wacomme

Michael Chamberlin

OK. Not considering pen bodies, what is the best steel flex nib? Or, would a vintage nib work in a modern pen? If so, what are some relatively easy to find vintage flex nibs (or pens) that aren't too expensive?

All in all, I'm trying to find a good functioning flex nib pen that doesn't cost too much money (under $100) and is something I can readily find without treasure hunting.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael Chamberlin

Michael,

I think you may be best off getting one of the inexpensive Noodler's or FPR flex pens. It'll get you started at minimal cost (around $20) and tinkering, and give you a taste of what flex offers. A lot of us start this way. If you don't like it or want an upgrade you can even sell that first pen and recoup part of the cost. Keep in mind, in this hobby (and something similar is true of many others) you don't really pay for pens, you pay for experiences. Also, usually your biggest investment is time, not money.

J

Michael,

I think you may be best off getting one of the inexpensive Noodler's or FPR flex pens. It'll get you started at minimal cost (around $20) and tinkering, and give you a taste of what flex offers. A lot of us start this way. If you don't like it or want an upgrade you can even sell that first pen and recoup part of the cost. Keep in mind, in this hobby (and something similar is true of many others) you don't really pay for pens, you pay for experiences. Also, usually your biggest investment is time, not money.

J

:) So true. I've already spent a lot of time researching this topic. Now I need to spend time experiencing the fun. I'm leaning towards the Himalaya, but V1 or V2. I want the V1, but I hear the push converter is terrible. I guess I could eyedropper it.

I have some Zebra G nibs arriving today. I found a calligraphy handle in a drawer so I might as well experiment with a dip pen for starters.

Edited by wacomme

Michael Chamberlin