The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Three Brush Pens

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Renzhe

Renzhe

Immune

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2007 - 00:20

I just bought three brush pens, all less than $2 each. Check them out. (Yes, I know they aren't fountain pens. Dip pens aren't either. Neither are rollerballs or pencils or quills. There are other writing instruments in the world. Don't miss out.)

From right to left, they are 成才[Cheng Cai] 水性書畫筆 [Watery (?) Writing Brush], ポケット[Pocket] 筆ペン [Brush Pen], and Platinum ツイン筆ペン [Twin Brush Pen].

So, let's talk about them a little, shall we?

First up we have the (what I'll call it for now) Cheng Cai Watery Writing Brush. It's obviously not made to look pretty. It's got stuff printed all over its body, even a barcode. It writes like a brush. Not a good brush, of course; the bristles don't seem to bounce back to a single point after writing something. It's also a bit dry for my tastes. I'm being excessive in my criticism though. It performs as expected for a <$2.00 brush. It isn't as good as this one, which is about the same price. It isn't refillable. Take a look at the sample. I apologise if you find my writing unsatisfactory.

Next is the Pocket Brush Pen. It's actually not a brush, but a felt tip marker with a soft pointy tip. I did not know that when I bought it. Like the Cheng Cai, this is also ugly. Refer to the writing sample. To the reader, it may look pretty convincing, but it's a pain to the writer. With felt, I need to press harder to get sufficient swells, and it feels like the felt doesn't want to move across the paper if I press hard (like markers squeaking on white boards). I've never needed a paperweight when writing with a brush, but I ended up dragging to paper because of the friction between the felt and the paper. Anyway, it's nothing like a brush. It's not refillable. Writing sample below.

Finally, the Platinum Twin Brush Pen. This looks like somebody put at least a little effort in making it look pretty…I mean…It's black and there's gold lettering!...Okay it's also ugly. It has two tips, one on each end. One is bigger than the other. It also has a handy clip on one of the caps. Pretty nifty, no? That is until you uncap one of the ends and find that this is also a felt-tipped pen. Same problems as above. I also find it too fat to hold like a brush. The ink is pretty dark though! Writing samples below; big tip on the left, small tip on the right.

Edited by Renzhe, 08 July 2007 - 00:56.

Renzhe

Sponsored Content

#2 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:53

It looks like your Cheng Cai gives you the best results. Which of these three produces the best strokes?

#3 Renzhe

Renzhe

Immune

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:55

Which of these three produces the best strokes?

It's the Cheng Cai, of course. It's the only real brush.

Edited by Renzhe, 08 July 2007 - 03:56.

Renzhe

#4 nimrod

nimrod

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 14:57

I agree that the "fake brush" flexible felt/whatever tip type pens are no good. I recently bought a Sakura Pigma Brush (about $3 in the US) and it's pretty awful. To make things worse the tip seems to fray rather easily as you twist it around trying to write basic strokes. The best thing about it is that I only wasted $3.

There was once this pen that I think Sakura made called a "Sumi" (that's what the pen had written on it, in roman letters) that had fake brush tips on both ends of the pen. (One was larger than the other.) It actually worked pretty well as the tips didn't fray and kind of rolled on the paper as you twisted it around, but it seems that they're no longer being made. Art stores in the US actually had them and they just disappeared one day. Perhaps they lost out to newer pens with real brush tips.

Sponsored Content

|