The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Best Budget Chinese/indian Edc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LazyPen

LazyPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:15

Nowadays what are the best budget chinese pens that can be considered ideal for everyday usage ?

Sponsored Content

#2 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:24

Wing Sung 601

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#3 Cyclohexene

Cyclohexene

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:33

Wing Sung 601

I agree with this suggestion. Pull cap for convenience, hooded (steel) nib that's hard as a nail and can take some abuse from "non pen people", postable for those times where you don't have an extra hand to keep track of the cap, generally good build quality. If you want even more bombproof-ness, look at the all steel version where even the hood is steel.

Only downsides I can think of are: lack of nib width options, hooded nib aesthetics may not be to everyone's taste (there is an open nib version though) and the Parker arrow clip is rather susceptible to getting bent.

#4 Kenlowe

Kenlowe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:38

Jinhao X450, well made and works extremely well, the all black model looks particularly good although this one is called Green Ice.

fpn_1600252651__450.jpg

#5 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:13

That depend on what is that EDC requirements like ... while there is somewhat a generalized one, most of us do had specific needs simply due to our different need and different usage placed on the pens ( and other tools ). Then one must thrown in the personal preference and what not .. 

Do you carry your pen inside your briefcase / backpack / handbag or you clip it always to your clothing

Do you adore or adhor metal pen, slick sections, Plastic construction .. or any such similar

Do you need a large ink capacity, do you require it to be C/C instead 

Is there a limitation / requirement on nib / nib grind

Do you had the need to use high maintenance ink , Iron Gall, Carbon, Pigment ....

Is screw cap a no no or in fact you prefer it over snap cap

etc etc etc .............

I do agree the Wing Sung 601 , now that it had both hooded and open nib ( and also the less popular triumph nib ) .. its a true heck back to 50's workhorse pens. A whole school of Hero's less well known mid range pens , mostly metal, are what I would consider very good EDC with C/C , samples like their 1506 and 981 are very good pens and consistently write well if you prefer something broader than just F ( they typically write FM ). if you need a pen you can literally thrown around , the new Delike Stealth Black is pretty good 

#6 AmandaW

AmandaW

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:48

My go-places pen is a Jinhao 992. Definitely a budget pen.

It's all about the greys...

#7 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:33

The Jinhao X450 you would not want to carry in clothing, but it's fine in a briefcase. The OE nib is a bit on the broad side for me, but that's just my taste and it is easily rectified. The X750 is the same thing without the sculpted section.

I endorse the opinion of the Wing-Sung 601. The design is a bit of a mash-up, but I suppose that you could call it an updated Vacumatic Parker 51. The totally opaque colours would be fine in any office.

If the paper you have to use is absolute rubbish, then a carbon or iron-gall ink may be the only option for writing a clean line.

I find that carbon ink, whether from Platinum or Hero looks brown-ish due to an overall sheen. As to whether it copies as well as text written with a dye-based black I don't know.

The likes of the Jinhao Safari clones turn brittle after around 2 years. A fault which i'm told also affects the Jinhao 992.

#8 TMA

TMA

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 13:08

I have always preferred the Jinhao X-750 to the 450. It is, to me, just a more normal shape. The 750 in Stainless Steel is rugged and attractive.

Others to consider are the Wing Sung 698 (available in various flavours as well as clear), the Crocodile 806 (in Green or Tortoise Shell) or the PenBBS 308.

#9 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 13:20

Wing Sung 698 with a  Plumix nib.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#10 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 13:56

I have had no problems with the Jinhao 450 but have seen scratches on the section from the cap on my 750., so the 450 gets the vote from me on an excellent all rounder, I find the Wing Sung pens to be a bit lightweight, in both senses of the word.

#11 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 15:10

I have had no problems with the Jinhao 450 but have seen scratches on the section from the cap on my 750., so the 450 gets the vote from me on an excellent all rounder, I find the Wing Sung pens to be a bit lightweight, in both senses of the word.

I purchased a Wing Sung 698 and a M205 Demonstrator at the same time. I returned the M205.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#12 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 15:27

I purchased a Wing Sung 698 and a M205 Demonstrator at the same time. I returned the M205.

At the end of the day, its a personal choice, I like a pen that has a bit of weight to it, an original pen too.

It is also not that cheap compared to the Jinhao, perhaps 4X as expensive,  and when the title of this thread includes the word Budget I am guessing that the OP is looking for a low priced pen, a good value pen.

But.................personal choice as I said,  noted that your vote is for the Wing Sung.

Edited by Parkette, 16 September 2020 - 15:33.

Sponsored Content

|