The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Grind Ic Or Ib Nib To Fine?

4 replies to this topic

#1 ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:36

Is it possible to grind an IB or IC nib to a fine nib or do they need to be totally replaced with a new fine nib? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:16

Is it possible to grind an IB or IC nib to a fine nib

As long as there is enough tipping material on the nib in its current state, I see no logical reason why one could not skilfully and/or precisely remove enough of it such that what remains will put down a fine enough line smoothly and consistently. After all, (re)grinding a nib is essentially just removing metal to reshape the contact surface of what's left behind. Starting from a Coarse or Double Broad nib may mean more effort and/or more time is required; and if you're paying someone else to do the work, they may charge you a commensurately higher fee for the service, but it should be technically and humanly possible to do all the same.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#3 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 16:40

Just trade or sell and buy a fine new or used.

#4 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:32

Possible? Sure. Practical or cost effective? May not be. If you pay someone, you will be without the pen, in addition to charges to perform the work. It may be less costly to just buy a new nib.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#5 ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:54

Thanks to all who posted a response to my query. I'm probably going to check with Conway Stewart and see if they can swap nibs.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|