The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

After A Hiatus, It's Time For A Stub

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 weltyj

weltyj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 22:55

Hello All,

I used a fountain pen at work for about 4 years, and retired in early 2017.   We travelled, backpacked, hiked so much the fountain pen just wasn't practical.   Sitting around because of COVID19 has me thinking it's time to get back at it.  

At work, I used fine nibs -- a lot of math, documenting computer algorithm logic, etc.   I used a Pilot Custom 74 with a SFM nib, with Iroshizuku Kon Peki ink, as well as a hero 100 flighter with platinum blue pigment ink.  At home I used a pilot metrobpolitan M nib with J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir ink.  I also used a carbon desk pen for sketching, as well as Nemosine Singularities for sketching.

I think having a stub will be fun to add a little spice to the writing.   I'm not really looking to improve my handwriting, or learn better italic/calligraphy etc, though that might be an interesting pastime while we hunker down again this fall/winter.

---

1. Main use -- I'll be writing very short, letters, taking notes on various and sundry things.  (No need for large ink capacity) 
  2. I fully expect the pen will sit idle for a few days at times, so the ability to not dry up badly during that period is critical.
  3. Price -- I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a pen or nib (hopefully < $70), but I do want something that will function well for a many years.
  4. I'm not thinking a tipped nib or custom ground nib at this time is appropriate for me.

So, here's my obvious options as I see them, if you have answers for my questions, or other options for me to consider I'd be delighted to read your thoughts!

• I have a Nemosine Singularity pen (standard #6 nib), I could buy a nemosine 1.1mm stub for it, or guolet pens 1.1mm stub.   I never had a problem with them drying up.

-- Would ink flow be sufficient?

• Buy a TWSBI ECO with the stub nib.  The feed is apparently tuned for the stub nibs, so ink flow should be fine.   I'm not a big fan of the transparent body, but not hugely turned off either.

-- Do these dry up after a few days of not being used?

• Buy a Conklin All American, or Duragraph with the Goulet 1.1mm stub

-- Do these dry up after a few days of not being used?

If looks were the priority, I'd get a Duragraph in amber.

If functionality was the priority, I'd get a TWSBI ECO.

If price was the priority, I'd get a stub nib for my Nemosine Singularity.

I lean towards trying out a Duragraph.

---

What did I not think about, or think about incorrectly in the above?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeff

Sponsored Content

#2 corniche

corniche

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 00:17

Hi Jeff,

I like the Singularity with the .8mm stub, but be warned, that pen went out of production around a year ago.

TWSBI offers a great stub that does seem to stay moist.

Conklin stubs have had major issues for me, but they have recently switched to JoWo nibs, so hopefully they'll perform better. I have no experience with a Goulet nib on a Conklin.

This will push your budget to the max, but you'll love the results. You could also get a Platinum 3776 Century straight from Japan with a broad nib and the Slip-n-Seal cap - which REALLY works - and send it to Pendleton Brown and have him make you a butter line stub. 👍

- Sean :)
https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

#3 weltyj

weltyj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:35

Hi Jeff,

I like the Singularity with the .8mm stub, but be warned, that pen went out of production around a year ago.

TWSBI offers a great stub that does seem to stay moist.

Conklin stubs have had major issues for me, but they have recently switched to JoWo nibs, so hopefully they'll perform better. I have no experience with a Goulet nib on a Conklin.

This will push your budget to the max, but you'll love the results. You could also get a Platinum 3776 Century straight from Japan with a broad nib and the Slip-n-Seal cap - which REALLY works - and send it to Pendleton Brown and have him make you a butter line stub.

- Sean :)

I have the Nemosine Singularity, I'd just have to buy a stub (1.1mm) nib.  Your experience with the 0.6mm gives me hope.

Yeah, a Platinum 3776 Century with a custom grind would be sweet, but I'll just dream about that one for now ;-)

Thanks!

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:54

I think having a stub will be fun to add a little spice to the writing.   I'm not really looking to improve my handwriting, or learn better italic/calligraphy etc, though that might be an interesting pastime while we hunker down again this fall/winter.

• Main use -- I'll be writing very short, letters, taking notes on various and sundry things.  (No need for large ink capacity) 
  • I fully expect the pen will sit idle for a few days at times, so the ability to not dry up badly during that period is critical.
  • Price -- I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a pen or nib (hopefully < $70), but I do want something that will function well for a many years.
  • I'm not thinking a tipped nib or custom ground nib at this time is appropriate for me.
    _  ⋮
What did I not think about, or think about incorrectly in the above?

Nemosine's Stub nibs to fit the Singularity are generally good, although not necessarily consistent from one unit to the next; I have multiples of each of the 0.6mm, 0.8mm and 1.1mm nibs. However, Nemosine has gone out of business, so it may not be as easy as you imagined to get new Nemosine Stub nibs.

Pilot's steel calligraphy/stub/italic (used interchangeably, if confusingly, depending on the listing or who you ask) nibs are better, but you can't just buy the nibs without the pens on which they're factory-fitted. You can get a CM ('Calligraphy Medium') nib for the Pilot MR or Prera, or in different nib width grades (but predominantly Medium) on the Plumix; but I wouldn't trust any of those models to be particularly effective at preventing ink evaporation when capped and unused, although in my experience the Plumix outperforms the MR (which includes, but isn't limited to, the MR Metropolitan range) in that regard by a long mile.

There is no such thing as industry "standard #6" nibs — when neither JoWo nor Bock has the ultimate say, their #6 nibs aren't necessarily made to the same physical dimensions and curvature, and they aren't the only nib manufacturers for mainstream pen brands today — but, just as Nemosine's nibs can fit a number of other-branded pen models, so can Pilot's steel nibs for its MR, Prera and Plumix (among other) product lines. Pali 013 (which is essentially the same as a Wing Sung 3013), PenBBS 494 and Wing Sung 698 — all cheap pen models that are not c/c-filled pens — are among them, if I'm not mistaken.

It doesn't sound to me that you are primarily interested in spending as little as possible at this point; I think that's good. If my budget for such an experiment was US$70, I'd start with getting a set of the Pilot Enso Plumix pens, which come with steel F, M and B italic nibs (already fitted on separate pen bodies). That shouldn't even cost half of the budget. If you then find you don't enjoy using the Plumix pens as-is, you could swap any of the nibs into the Pilot MR pen you already have. Or you can buy one of the aforementioned Chinese pen models, or something similar, and swap a Pilot Plumix nib onto it. Believe it or not, the Wing Sung 3013 is better than the Pilot MR at preventing ink evaporation; and it has a significantly larger ink capacity (but the metal stem inside the vacuum-filler barrel is apt to corrode over time.

If you can still buy Nemosine Stub nibs, you could fit one onto a PenBBS 309 piston-filler body; in my experience there is sufficient headroom in the cap, and you have dozens of acrylics from which too choose for "looks". They aren't too bad at preventing ink evaporation.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#5 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 15:45

The Nemosine Singularity takes a #6 nib.  Nemosine's #6 stubs were 0.8mm and 0.6mm.  I've had problems trying to use Nemosine #6 nibs in Fountain Pen Revolution #6 pens, because the cross-sectional profiles are quite different.  Nemosine's 1.1mm stubs were always on #5 nibs, IIRC.

FPR sells 1.0mm stubs in both #5.5 and #6, as well as ebonite feeds, some with high flow.  Sometimes these are really wonderful pens.  Sometimes a little tweaking and nib tuning can turn them into wonderful pens.  And sometimes, they're just problem pens.  But if you contact Kevin regarding a problem with a pen he has sold you, he will do whatever is in his power to make you happy, perhaps to the point of spending more than you did on the pen. 

I'd tend to rate consistency of QC by national origin thusly:

Japan

Germany

the rest of Christendom

China

Italy

India (at least for export)

Pakistan

#6 weltyj

weltyj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 16:41

There is no such thing as industry "standard #6" nibs — when neither JoWo nor Bock has the ultimate say, their #6 nibs aren't necessarily made to the same physical dimensions and curvature, and they aren't the only nib manufacturers for mainstream pen brands today — but, just as Nemosine's nibs can fit a number of other-branded pen models, so can Pilot's steel nibs for its MR, Prera and Plumix (among other) product lines. Pali 013 (which is essentially the same as a Wing Sung 3013), PenBBS 494 and Wing Sung 698 — all cheap pen models that are not c/c-filled pens — are among them, if I'm not mistaken.

If you can still buy Nemosine Stub nibs, you could fit one onto a PenBBS 309 piston-filler body; in my experience there is sufficient headroom in the cap, and you have dozens of acrylics from which too choose for "looks". They aren't too bad at preventing ink evaporation.

The Nemosine Singularity takes a #6 nib.  Nemosine's #6 stubs were 0.8mm and 0.6mm.  I've had problems trying to use Nemosine #6 nibs in Fountain Pen Revolution #6 pens, because the cross-sectional profiles are quite different.  Nemosine's 1.1mm stubs were always on #5 nibs, IIRC.

FPR sells 1.0mm stubs in both #5.5 and #6, as well as ebonite feeds, some with high flow.  Sometimes these are really wonderful pens.  Sometimes a little tweaking and nib tuning can turn them into wonderful pens.  And sometimes, they're just problem pens.  But if you contact Kevin regarding a problem with a pen he has sold you, he will do whatever is in his power to make you happy, perhaps to the point of spending more than you did on the pen. 

Thank you both for your detailed responses.   Seems like going the new nib route looks promising -- I have been looking more on FPN, and other places.   Several have reported no problems putting the Goulet #6 nib in the Nemosine Singularity (I have two of those pens), and S. E. Brown has a youtube showing a Goulet #6 1.5mm in a Jinhao x750, which worked quite well.   I also have a Jinhao x750.

I believe I'll get a Goulet 1.1mm, and a 1.5mm and try the nib swap.   And while I'm playing with those, I can keep an eye out for a Greg Minuskin special with good stub.

Cheers!

Jeff

#7 brokenclay

brokenclay

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 19:52

You can still get Nemosine nibs from the Birmingham Pen Company: https://www.birmingh...ollections/nibs

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 15:36

The TWSBI GO stub is one of my favorite EDCs and a pen that I gift to newbies.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#9 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 18:03

I'd avoid Conklin. I've only tried the Durograph in medium, but all 4 have had terrible nib QA. I sold all but 1. 

#10 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 19:20

fpn_1600456798__nemosine_singularity_stu

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#11 weltyj

weltyj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 19:21

You can still get Nemosine nibs from the Birmingham Pen Company: https://www.birmingh...ollections/nibs

The TWSBI GO stub is one of my favorite EDCs and a pen that I gift to newbies.

I'd avoid Conklin. I've only tried the Durograph in medium, but all 4 have had terrible nib QA. I sold all but 1. 

Thanks all -- I have the two Goulet nibs (1.1, 1.5mm) "in the mail" now, and will report back how they fit in my Nemosines (or Jinhao x750).   I am stalking Greg Minuskin's site to see if the "right" stub shows up.

#12 weltyj

weltyj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:51

Nibs arrived :-)

Attached Images

• DSC03356.jpg

#13 brokenclay