The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cracked Section On Oversized Balance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bunnspecial

bunnspecial

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 22:34

I seem to be having terrible luck lately with section damage.

I have a 1930s lever filler Oversized Balance in red veined gray. it's a family piece, and the barrel/cap are perfect. I had Ron Zorn restore it ~6 years ago, and have carefully and sporadically used it over the years-always with "gentle" inks like Waterman Blue.

In any case, I inked it the other day and found ink on my fingers every time I picked it up to write with it. I spent a lot of time looking it over, wiping it down and cleaning it, and so forth, and finally noticed a crack in the section. It extends from the nib end of the section and probably about 1/4" up.

In reading some old discussions here, there's some talk of plastic welding sections together with solvent, but ultimately suggestions that they should be replaced.

How feasible is this? I'm guessing that sections need to come from parts pens, and I'm guessing there may not be a huge surplus of oversized sections.

Am I best just to leave this one be and retire it completely, or is is there a reasonably possibility of having it repaired? I care enough about this pen that I'm certainly open to paying whatever it takes-within reason-to fix it properly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,947 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 00:05

Here's the thing.  Because the nib is a wedge, there is a great deal of outward pressure on the section.  Remember, you can split a log with a wedge.  Even if you solvent weld the section, the stress of the wedge as the nib is pressed into position is likely to break it again.  It has  to be tight to keep the nib and feed from shifting.  Black hard rubber rarely cracks, black plastic, maybe. The clear, or formerly clear celluloid one can fail.  Oddly enough the  black ones  can be repaired by inserting a bushing of hard rubber all the way back including replacing the sac nipple.  This distributes the stress, but you need a lathe to do it, and it's rarely worth the cost VS buying a replacement.  Clear celluloid, just replace it.  I've had NOS clear sections crack when I try to put a nib and feed in the pen.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 bunnspecial

bunnspecial

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 00:46

Ron,

Thanks for your response.

I sent you an email on this a day or two ago and I'll do any formal inquiries through email, but do you have spare sections to replace it now? I'd be willing to go down the bushing route also, especially if it would be a "permanent" repair. It is a black section.

#4 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:47

http://fivestarpens....-pen-parts.html  If you don't see it, ask!

#5 bunnspecial

bunnspecial

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 13:03

http://fivestarpens....-pen-parts.html  If you don't see it, ask!

I see one, thank you!

I need to peruse there a bit more. I have a vac-fill Balance also that writes really nicely and has a 14K lifetime nib, but I've not used it much since I don't have a cap for it! I should pull it out and see if they have a cap that will fit.

Sponsored Content

|