How To Align Image On Cap With Image On Barrel?

uticarose

Hello!

I bought a Platinum Izumo Black Dragon, which has part of a sword on the cap and the rest on the barrel. I've tried all sorts of configurations but can't get them to line up. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by TexasCollector

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uticarose

• I-am-not-really-here

• hari317

• BaronWulfraed

Other than somehow "breaking" the brass threaded insert out of the barrel, and then rotating it as needed before recementing it...

It under rotates about 3/16 inch. I thought I check with FPN before I send it in for repair and wait for who knows how long. Thanks!

Depending on how adventurous you are, there are spots to look -

1. The inside threads of the cap. But on this pen from what I see, those threads are recessed and not necessarily accessible.

2. The threads on the section that the cap screws onto.

3. The threads on the section that the barrel screws onto (assuming it is a cartridge converter filler).

4. The threads inside the barrel that screw onto the section.

Of the four, 2 and 3 would be (theoretically) possible to reduce length. For under rotation I would choose the threads where the barrel attaches to the section. Reduce the overall length of the threads by very carefully filing down the starting point.

unfortunately this is fraught with error without the right tool(s). And it is a one shot deal.

Im hesitant to break it to fix it. Are you in the business of repairing pens?!!!!

Sorry, no. I do have a Pilot Sterling where the barrel always screws on such that, in my case, the leopard never faces upwards when being used. It is so irritating that the pen sits unused, money wasted, and I am so very tempted to grind the threads. If it all went south in the process I'd keep the barrel and cap for a future frankenpen.

Hello!

I bought a Platinum Izumo Black Dragon, which has part of a sword on the cap and the rest on the barrel. I've tried all sorts of configurations but can't get them to line up. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The aritst paints the pen taking great care. once painted the cap and barrel from each pen are a pair and cannot be swapped around.

I guess the caps and barrels got swapped at the shop maybe during a requested nib swap or whatever.

cap from one pen and the barrel from another. So atleast two 'out of whack' pens are now in the wild.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Im hesitant to break it to fix it. Are you in the business of repairing pens?!!!!

Not me... but I do own a plain Izumo, so have some idea of how it is built.

Mine has a different problem. The brass ferrule in the section... I get an ink seepage from the feed up the outside of the ferrule where it eventually makes itself known on my fingers (it is not seeping from the cartridge/converter as those are dry when removed). If I apply clear nail-polish or sac-cement around the base of the section/ferrule join, I stop the ink seepage -- but then run into feed starvation!).

how will this help in making the nib line up with the barrel imprint?

By changing the total rotation length. If a cap closes in 2.25 turns but that is slightly too far then reset the start point by grinding or filing down the thread starter location.

By changing the total rotation length. If a cap closes in 2.25 turns but that is slightly too far then reset the start point by grinding or filing down the thread starter location.

It is where the two threaded parts "butt"each other and stop that determines the alignment of nib and the pattern. Earlier suppose it took two turns. Now you shortened the start of the thread and now it takes just one turn. But still the section will stop exactly at the same point as before. The point where the section buts the barrel.

There are two solutions. First is somehow rotate the barrel "bush". Ie the component inserted into the barrel which has the section threads.

Else insert a small o ring or spacer between the section shell and section connector( this might work without leaving an unsightly gap depending on amount of misalignment)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.