Securing Clutch Ring On Sheaffer School Cartridge Pen

PDW

I know I'm not the first to find myself crawling around on the floor looking for the steel ring that secures the cap on a Sheaffer school cartridge pen having opened the pen without due caution.

Do people glue or otherwise secure loose rings in some way to prevent this happening? I have shellac, impact adhesive (Bostik), superglue and two-part Araldite. Is there a best candidate from these, would another glue be better, or is it best to do nothing and just be prepared to crawl around the floor squinting from time to time?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PDW

• Sailor Kenshin

• pajaro

• BaronWulfraed

I still haven't found the ring on mine -- suspect it went /under/ a book case, and my bedroom is too cluttered for me to empty the case in order to lift it enough to look...

I still haven't found the ring on mine -- suspect it went /under/ a book case, and my bedroom is too cluttered for me to empty the case in order to lift it enough to look...

I have a study like that - once lost, never found again, whatever it is. :(

I had one come off, and I jammed it back on by friction fit. I think that shellac, nail polish, epoxy or something else would be advisable. I once had one of these clutch rings stay in the cap when I uncapped the pen, and I couldn't get it out of the cap. The cap sometimes went back on the pen, and sometimes would not recap. I lost the pen at some time.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Borrowers use fountain pens? Hhhmmm ...

Maybe the clutch ring as some sort of coronet?

(I've been considering trying to cut out a disk of extra-heavy aluminum foil to make a stop-gap ring)

• 3 weeks later...

Once, when I needed a clutch ring, I took one from a desk pen version of the school pen that was in black. The school pen desk pen didn't seem to need the clutch ring.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

PDW, Look inside the cap. On old Sheaffer slip-cap School Pens, from 1960s-70s, I have occasionally had the same problem. The wide silver band slips its moorings and gets stuck inside the cap during uncapping. I have liberated a couple using dental tools, but several seem lodged inside the cap permanently. The caps never fit properly following that, but these convenient little fountain pens remain functional. Now I always remove the slip caps gently.

PDW, Look inside the cap. On old Sheaffer slip-cap School Pens, from 1960s-70s, I have occasionally had the same problem. The wide silver band slips its moorings and gets stuck inside the cap during uncapping. I have liberated a couple using dental tools, but several seem lodged inside the cap permanently. The caps never fit properly following that, but these convenient little fountain pens remain functional. Now I always remove the slip caps gently.

:P Especially if you've ever capped the barrel without the section screwed in for some reason. And then suddenly the trim goes poof...

Didn't have the right tools myself, so I used a nail with a very sharp round tail end to reach up, and tug little by little in rotation until it finally came down far enough to get it out the rest of the way.