5Cm (50Mm) Cartridges From China Fit In What, Please?

PithyProlix

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Sailor Kenshin

• Seele

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I almost forgot that I ordered a couple Jinhao 51a's a few days ago. I understand they use a C/C so that's a bit of a stroke of luck for me.

I have a couple of those and enjoy them a lot (so much I'm about to order one more). Which nibs did you choose?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I have a couple of those and enjoy them a lot (so much I'm about to order one more). Which nibs did you choose?

Oh, that's great to hear - these will be the first Chinese pens I will have actually used and I'm looking forward to getting them. My favorite pens are my old Parker 51's so I got both in the hooded version with the 0.38 nib. One has a funky Red/Purple acrylic barrel (about $3.20 USD) and the other has a Tiger Wood barrel (about $2.45).

May I ask - do you use ink cartridges in them?

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

May I ask - do you use ink cartridges in them?

No I haven't tried that yet. They came with converters so I filled those.

My next one will be the red/purple with a 0.38 hooded nib. :)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

OK, then - I'm off to find another pen ...

I didn't even know cartridges have a bead - which shows how much I know about cartridges. :)

Thanks again.

But they were selling CARTRIDGE 616s a while back. I wonder if these would fit.

I'm tempted to buy these carts. Love the colors.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

But they were selling CARTRIDGE 616s a while back. I wonder if these would fit.

I'm tempted to buy these carts. Love the colors.

I like the idea of getting 'fun' colors in cartridges because while I'd like to have those types of colors for occasional use if I bought a whole bottle I would probably only use a small fraction of it.

Here's an idea: since these cartridges are easily refillable & seal-able they could be used for ink swaps so people can easily try out new inks. It could even be done through the mail - instead of 'pen pals' it would be 'ink pals'! :P

(I just now polished the scratchy nib of my 616 and unfortunately I can't get much ink to flow ...)

Edited by brian_minsk

Here's an idea: since these cartridges are easily refillable & seal-able they could be used for ink swaps so people can easily try out new inks. It could even be done through the mail - instead of 'pen pals' it would be 'ink pals'! :P

One doesn't really need old ink cartridges for that.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348916-best-way-of-dealing-with-ones-purchasing-mistakes/?p=4262650

Acquiring enough ink cartridges in the first place, and then having to first either use up the ink or empty it into a collector, and then cleaning it thoroughly to avoid contaminating whichever ink colour with which the empty cartridge will be refilled, is a pain in the butt to do even if it works functionally and qualitatively. Then one has to be concerned whether the recipient will be using an Aurora, Diplomat, Jinhao, Lamy, Pilot, Platinum, Sailor, etc. all of which use a different converter format/bore from one another.

Once the thickness of the postal article including the envelope exceeds 5mm, you may as well just use small centrifuge tubes or 1.8ml sample vials, even if you're sending the contents in the guise of a "large letter" of up to 20mm in total thickness.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I think the mentioned 5mm is likely misleading , it clearly shown a wide throat ( aka Parker / Aurora / Lamy spec ) throat or more precisely typical in Chinese student pens , 3.4mm throat. The 5mm is the outer diameter of the mating collar instead. and AFAIK they will not fit the Hero 616 Plus ( the C/C version of the 616 , which is totally different from the pen engineering side apart from the vintage 616 model but externally and style vise identical ).

I think the mentioned 5mm is likely misleading , it clearly shown a wide throat ( aka Parker / Aurora / Lamy spec ) throat or more precisely typical in Chinese student pens , 3.4mm throat. The 5mm is the outer diameter of the mating collar instead. and AFAIK they will not fit the Hero 616 Plus ( the C/C version of the 616 , which is totally different from the pen engineering side apart from the vintage 616 model but externally and style vise identical ).

You are correct that 5mm is the outer diameter - I should have more precise. And given the appearance of the blister pack they are clearly marketed towards kids.

That said, while I don't have calipers I do have a transparent ruler and it really seems to me that the inner diameter is closer to 4mm than to 3mm,

So now I am a bit confused about what they will actually fit. Regardless, I will try to fit a cartridge with black ink in a Jinhao 51a that is on the way to me since black is a color I can easily spare.

That said, while I don't have calipers I do have a transparent ruler and it really seems to me that the inner diameter is closer to 4mm than to 3mm,

So now I am a bit confused about what they will actually fit.

Most, if not all, Chinese brands of c/c-filled pens use either 2.6mm-bore or 3.4mm-bore cartridges. I'd be very surprised if the mouth of the Chinese ink cartridges you showed us has an inner diameter of >3.5mm.

Regardless, I will try to fit a cartridge with black ink in a Jinhao 51a that is on the way to me since black is a color I can easily spare.

I'm pretty sure the feed in the Jinhao 51A (with hooded nib) fits 2.6mm-bore cartridges. After all, my wife and I gave a bunch of them — which came with a converter each — away last year as bomboniere last year, along with some Diamine "international standard" 2.4mm-bore ink cartridges to get our wedding guests started, should they not wish to bother with getting bottled ink upfront. (Yes, of course we tested that the combination works; we kept one unit as a tester/sample of what we gave away, with Diamine ink cartridge plugged in and all.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Mech-for-i advised earlier these are for Aihao student pens. Instead of obsessively searching for pens I think I might actually like and just *might* work with these cartridges I went ahead and ordered three uber-cheap Aihao student pens. They are pictured with what looks like these cartridges in an AliExpress listing - so that helps reassure. At 58 Thai Baht ($1.86 USD) for three pens, shipped, it's a no-brainer.

HTB1HN7PdQfb_uJkHFNRq6A3vpXaw.jpg

HTB1KKvEmRfH8KJjy1Xbq6zLdXXaj.jpg

Edited by brian_minsk