The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Starvation On Fountain Pens?

ink starvation wing sung pilot parker

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:50

I have this problem here in southern Michigan.  Happens on pen models where some are great and don't have it and where other pens of the same model have stingy ink flow that seems to dry up.  Pens thar work like this are in a box, so I don't bother with them any more. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

#22 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:07

The Himalaya isn't exactly a converter pen, as it can't use cartridges, but it does have a removable internal filling mechanism (syringe for v1, piston for v2) that lets one convert it into an eyedropper.  The mechanism screws onto the back of the section, and there is an O-ring seal.

Several of mine have recently proven to be too wet.

#23 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,983 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 16:38

Very odd, I can only contribute my experience with 40 something pens and 30 something inks which I've rotated mercilessly to find the "right"combinations based on ink colour: this only happens with blocked feeds, a good cleaning has solved 99% of any problems, that single drop of dishwashing liquid can do wonders.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#24 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 17:29

The problem is the user. Sorry, but how can it be otherwise?

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#25 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,062 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 23:08

I wonder if a wick feed like a preppy or varsity would exhibit the same problem. While I also encounter the "skin oil" problem, it happens on the lower half of the same page, not 3-4 pages later.

I wonder if the problem is something else, like really low humidity, or holding the pen at a very low angle.

#26 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:17

I've been into the hobby for 3 or so years and have amassed a moderate collection of pens. _...‹snip›... . Without fail, it seems that my pens' ink flow will weaken the more I write in a sitting, to the point that some of them even completely dry up and I have to push more ink into the feed to get it writing again. _...‹snip›... I have had issues in both eyedropper and converter-filled pens, even after thoroughly washing them and even placing a ball inside to break up surface tension. It seems, regardless of what I do with my pens, air is simply either not exchanged fast enough for a constant flow or not exchanged at all.

Never mind (just for now) which inks you'd like to be using, or which filling methods or type(s) of ink reservoir you prefer in your pens.

Does the problem you described happen even when you use the ink cartridges supplied with the pens in their retail packages? As far as I'm concerned, that's a good starting point for establishing whether there's something fundamentally defective with a pen as designed and made.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#27 AmandaW

AmandaW

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 13:16

Put a piece of blotting paper under your hand as you write.

This ^

I used to have a problem with a number of pens with stub nibs on Clairefontaine paper: they would write drier and drier down the page. Then the problem was solved using a sheet of paper as a guard and I came to realise it had nothing to do with the stubs, the ink or the paper.

It's all about the greys...

#28 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 14:16

I have found that with a lot of tricky and harder to solve pen problems, the issue usually lies with the user. There are many examples of people attributing hard starts or nib problems to their pens. But the actually the problem is the way they grip the pen.

Now I am not saying your grip is the problem. My point with the starting example is that user individuality can contribute to how poorly a pen operates but many of us always assume we are in the range of "normal". However if this problem that you have is consistent with ALL your pens, then I would say it's the problem of the user or some unique aspect of your environment. You have described the problem with the pens, but there is a assumption that everything else is the same, which we know is not probable. 

There are so many factors that could contribute. Some that people have mentioned possibilities like writing speed, oiliness of skin. There is also the possibility of the combination of ink and paper. Or even something very extreme like you have lots of animals around you and their stray hair is clogging up the nibs.

It does sound less than ideal. Hopefully you're able to find the solution to your issue.

#29 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:34

Gerigo, good post.

Many do hold a fountain pen too high, like it was a ball point. There are very many 'odd' ways folks grab a 'writing instrument', that no teacher cured when they should have. (I often ask how the hell can they write like that; but they do.)

Today there are many overly rounded tipping on a stiff or stiffer nibs so that one can hold the fountain pen wrong like a ball point and get away with it.

Wrong hold can also be a factor if the nib is scratchy. Misaligned is the other factor for scratchy.

One should/can hold their ball point at 45 degrees just after the big index knuckle, or a touch lower at 40 degrees at the start of the web of the thumb.

If the pen is very heavy or due to posting making a heavy pen is heavier. Letting it rest at 35 degrees in the pit of the web of the thumb, will lighten the pressure on the nib.

The idea is to let the fountain pen rest at those positions, not forcing it to stay there only. Where ever the pen feels good with in that range of 45-35 degrees.

Look up Classic Tripod and 'Forefinger up' method of holding a fountain pen. I favor the latter.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink starvation, wing sung, pilot, parker

Sponsored Content

|