The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Triple Broad Vs Sailor Cross Nib

pelikan 3b sailor cross nib exotic nib

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:01

To all who own the discontinued Pelikan 3B nib (on any model) AND the Sailor cross nib, i would like to know which one writes broader and which one is wetter. If you could please post a writing sample, it would mean so much !

Sponsored Content

#2 Mercian

Mercian

Egregiously prolix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 23:50

If nobody posts comparisons on this thread you could try looking on SBRE Brown’s YouTube channel.

I know that he bought his Pelikan M800 Tortoise with a 3B nib, and he also has a couple of reviews of different pens with Sailor Naginata Cross nibs.

He didn’t do a direct comparison of the two, but you ought to be able to get a good idea of their comparative widths by watching his reviews.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

#3 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 00:16

If nobody posts comparisons on this thread you could try looking on SBRE Brown’s YouTube channel.

I know that he bought his Pelikan M800 Tortoise with a 3B nib, and he also has a couple of reviews of different pens with Sailor Naginata Cross nibs.

He didn’t do a direct comparison of the two, but you ought to be able to get a good idea of their comparative widths by watching his reviews.

I did contact him and asked if he could do a comparison he told me that he doesn’t have the two pens at the moment to do a side by side comparison. I feel my luck is so little to find a comparison side by side 

#4 geodesigner

geodesigner

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 14:43

I do not have a NAG Cross available to compare, but here's a close-up of the tip of the 3B and a writing sample on 5mm grid (Hobonichi). Hope it helps!

DSC-9039.jpg

P3100004.jpg

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 15:43

Geo thank you for the pictures!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#6 hersheybearsgoalie2

hersheybearsgoalie2

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 19:56

I have an M800 with an oblique triple broad, and a 1911L with a cross concord nib.

Hope this helps!

Attached Images

• O3B and Cross Concord.jpeg

#7 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 20:49

I have an M800 with an oblique triple broad, and a 1911L with a cross concord nib.

Hope this helps!

It seems that they are quite similar in terms of thickness on their broadest stroke! Would you agree on that ? And regarding the sailor is the cross concord broader than the naginata concord ?

Edited by The-Thinker, 14 October 2020 - 20:53.

#8 hersheybearsgoalie2

hersheybearsgoalie2

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 23:49

It seems that they are quite similar in terms of thickness on their broadest stroke! Would you agree on that ? And regarding the sailor is the cross concord broader than the naginata concord ?

Yes, I would say that they are very close. I do not have a naginata concord on hand, so I wouldn't be able to speak on that.

#9 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 00:10

A Concord nib is one layer with 2 touch points while a Cross Concord is 2 layers with 4 touch points. It is a fair bit wider due to the surface area in contact with paper.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#10 manolo

manolo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:59

I bought an M1000 fitted with an M and had to exchange it for an F. Although I always favour wide nibs, and I use Bs, OBs and stubs the most, flow with that M1000 "M" was too high for regular papers. 

This makes me wonder: When do you use those M1000 with BBs, OBBs? Are they just for "recreational" use? Can you cope with them in regular-office use?

#11 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:27

I usually use bbb or exotic nibs for fun or for art making, they surpass what a usual fountain pen can do !

I bought an M1000 fitted with an M and had to exchange it for an F. Although I always favour wide nibs, and I use Bs, OBs and stubs the most, flow with that M1000 "M" was too high for regular papers. 

This makes me wonder: When do you use those M1000 with BBs, OBBs? Are they just for "recreational" use? Can you cope with them in regular-office use?

#12 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:29

That is true, but from a recent pic I saw that the naginata concord was broader than the cross concord, I assumed it was due to the fact that the naginata concord is bent downwards and has a huge surface area (gold surface) to act like “spreading plate” other than the 2 welded nib tips that might be smaller.

A Concord nib is one layer with 2 touch points while a Cross Concord is 2 layers with 4 touch points. It is a fair bit wider due to the surface area in contact with paper.

#13 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 6,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 16:35

That is true, but from a recent pic I saw that the naginata concord was broader than the cross concord, I assumed it was due to the fact that the naginata concord is bent downwards and has a huge surface area (gold surface) to act like “spreading plate” other than the 2 welded nib tips that might be smaller.

Ah, OK. I see where you are going now. Yes, that aspect of the pen will enable broader writing vs. the Cross Concord if the pen is well setup. This will eventually wear on the nib as there is no tipping, but the fun is worth the risk. 

I have a custom Concord that Yukio Nagahara made for from with an Oldwin nib and it writes very broad. 

#14 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 6,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 17:11

fpn_1603473061__20190826_141838_resized.

#15 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2020 - 21:50

Drool

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#16 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:47

fpn_1603473061__20190826_141838_resized.

wow that is quite broad ! that is what i was asking indeed! is it true that it is broader than the king eagle nibs if written that way ? and do the fude nib (bent up) and concord (bent down) produce same line width ?

#17 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,665 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:16

A modern 400/600 are semi-nails, if you press real hard you get 2X a light downstroke.

A post 97 800 is a nail, 1 X only.

Bock 1000's...made from '97 to @2010, was semi-flex. It was the last Pelikan nib that was taken back In-House. I have a 2005 OBB. I also have a W.Germany OBB 600 which writes as expected 1/2 a width narrower.

I have a '50-54 500 with an eyeballed OBBB. In I have three or so OBB's from that era, I think I can judge the maxi-semi-flex nib to OBBB. It will be 1/2 a width** narrower than modern, post '97.

I can't use the OBBB, maybe perhaps because of the beautiful maxi-semi-flex it has...

I have no need to sign important documents, in writing a 15 letter legal signature takes @ 3/4ths a page. OBBB is a paper hog.

I do have a BBBB Manuscript pen, that is only good for Headings.

*** There was much complaining on the Com, about the Bock nib.....made exactly to Pelikan's specks. When taken back in-house.....the exact complaints remained... :lticaptd: ....stiff fat blobby nibs, that didn't write in a clean line. Round blobby nibs have that problem, lacking a clean line. (less repair cost due to the heavy-handed, and ballpoint users didn't have to learn to hold a fountain pen, just keep holding it vertical like a ballpoint.)

The post Bock 1000's nib is regular flex.........only 'soft' if one is used to using nails and semi-nail nibs.

The 200's nib is also regular flex, which I believe is that the Japanese call 'soft'.

You are not going to get a great 200's nib in OBBB.............can look for IMO better nibs of any width in the vintage and semi-vintage era's.

So comparing a 'soft' Japanse nib with some tine spread, is a different animal, than semi-nail or nail Pelikans.

Besides which, in all companies, there is tolerance which can make a fat F = exactly a skinny M, in that company's standard.

Pelikan is known as a fat nib, now***, Sailor is Japanese so would be thinner .....my guess. 

*** Wasn't true in vintage and semi-vintage days.

MB's nibs are fat.

I don't know if they have BBB, but if swapping a nib, do be very specific of where you want the nib to

be in their spec. Having heard that MB was Fat, the M nib was a B in the pen shop on poor paper. At home on better paper it was only a M. :wacko:

So I sent my Woolf back to put a B on it....unfortunately, that B was on the fat side of spec; a BB....so is not used as much as it deserves by me.

My advice to ask the same question in the MB section. A MB BB vs a Sailor 3B....In Japanese nibs are reputed to be narrower than western....Id expect the two to be close.

A 146 is lighter and more nimble than an 800. It doesn't have to be a 149.

With any pen, the ink and the paper can make up to a width difference.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, Yesterday, 00:18.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#18 koutsos1965

koutsos1965

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 18:13

Hi, do you know something about Pelikan 800 totrtoise red special edition?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, 3b, sailor, cross nib, exotic nib

Sponsored Content

|