Good Alternatives To Franklin Christoph 12 Penvelope?

Keyless Works

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keyless Works

• zaddick

• bemon

• Runnin_Ute

Thank you for the feedback about it. I have been considering one. It may be the right size for me, as I do not have pens as large as those you list.

I hope you find the right alternative.

He doesn't make 12 pen versions that I know of but Arthur at innovative journaling has a 6 pen case that holds my KOP, Mikado, and other large pens.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Try the 12 pen case below. Had one for 7 years and has held up very well.

https://andersonpens.com/accessories/pen-storage/girologio/

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

He doesn't make 12 pen versions that I know of but Arthur at innovative journaling has a 6 pen case that holds my KOP, Mikado, and other large pens.

I am not seeing pen cases on his website? His stuff looks nice though...maybe I am blind. Do you have a link to the 6 pen case?

Try the 12 pen case below. Had one for 7 years and has held up very well.

https://andersonpens.com/accessories/pen-storage/girologio/

This case looks very similar to the old FC penvelope but for half the price...do you find large pens difficult to get in?

I am a sort of pen case fanatic and have quite a bunch of them. I have found the Penvelope to be quite exacting in their tolerance for pen size because the loops aren't flexible.

If you really want a pen case that is going to work well, spend a little more to get the 12 pen case by Visconti. The way it's designed actually works REALLY well. It's soft enough that it even takes pens that might be slightly oversized for the slots. That's because it's actually soft sided and stretches. I have used so many pen cases and have always returned to it.

There are a few others but those are either exorbitant, like the Montblanc version that is AMAZING, but over $800. Or Itoya Romeo versions that aren't accessible to most.

I am a sort of pen case fanatic and have quite a bunch of them. I have found the Penvelope to be quite exacting in their tolerance for pen size because the loops aren't flexible.

If you really want a pen case that is going to work well, spend a little more to get the 12 pen case by Visconti. The way it's designed actually works REALLY well. It's soft enough that it even takes pens that might be slightly oversized for the slots. That's because it's actually soft sided and stretches. I have used so many pen cases and have always returned to it.

There are a few others but those are either exorbitant, like the Montblanc version that is AMAZING, but over $800. Or Itoya Romeo versions that aren't accessible to most.

I have a Itoya Romeo pen tray that I like a lot. I got it in store though.

Is there a place to buy the Visconti Dream Touch cases? I haven't found a place that still stocks the 6 and 12 pen version. They seem to be discontinued. I know there are new Visconti cases but I can't find pictures of what they look like inside.

I'd be willing to spend $300-$400 for the right case.

Edited by Keyless Works

I've been using the Wancher 13 pen portfolio. I have a few of them but they are now more difficult to get since Engeika stopped business, as they were quite easy to buy on the bay thorugh Engeika.

They are nice, but not as nice as FC's.

edit: a picture might be useful

fpn_1600366980__wancher_13_pen_portfolio

Edited by sansenri

Do you need hard sided? I've been quite happy with the 12 pen rolls from Rickshaw Bag Works. you could find a tin or box to fit the rolled up pens if you need rigidity for transport. I can get all sorts of pens in there and there are lots of customized options. Could also be an excuse to eat of tin of Almond Rocca or some such, you know, just to get the tin. :D

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Do you need hard sided? I've been quite happy with the 12 pen rolls from Rickshaw Bag Works. you could find a tin or box to fit the rolled up pens if you need rigidity for transport. I can get all sorts of pens in there and there are lots of customized options. Could also be an excuse to eat of tin of Almond Rocca or some such, you know, just to get the tin. :D

I've considered these as they do look nice quality. Do the clips ever come in contact with each other? I have pen rolls and I worry that fabric flap doesn't really do much to prevent the clips from touching.

There are two styles - the more traditional with the larger top flap and more of the pen exposed, and one where much more of the pen is in the roll. I like the later. They let me put my pens in so the clips are pretty much always fully in the slot and only the derby is exposed to the potential of touching. It is like the 3 pen pouch they sell. Here are some pics from my desk with 2 149s and a KOP in the case. You can see they don't touch and are not really exposed to much risk, although the top does not seal.

fpn_1600370224__20200917_121336_resized.

fpn_1600370277__20200917_121328_resized.

fpn_1600370312__20200917_121246_resized.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two styles - the more traditional with the larger top flap and more of the pen exposed, and one where much more of the pen is in the roll. I like the later. They let me put my pens in so the clips are pretty much always fully in the slot and only the derby is exposed to the potential of touching. It is like the 3 pen pouch they sell. Here are some pics from my desk with 2 149s and a KOP in the case. You can see they don't touch and are not really exposed to much risk, although the top does not seal.

fpn_1600370224__20200917_121336_resized.

fpn_1600370277__20200917_121328_resized.

fpn_1600370312__20200917_121246_resized.

Looks like pretty soft touch material on the inside. What is is it? I'm headed to their site now to see if they sell this same case with a leather exterior.

synthetic plush material. Can't recall the official name. it is quite soft.

I don't recall leather as an option. They have some pretty tough nylon type material and also softer tweeds and the like. Lots of customization. But to me it is meant to go inside something rigid if carried on the go where the pens may be exposed to rough and tumble treatment.

synthetic plush material. Can't recall the official name. it is quite soft.

I don't recall leather as an option. They have some pretty tough nylon type material and also softer tweeds and the like. Lots of customization. But to me it is meant to go inside something rigid if carried on the go where the pens may be exposed to rough and tumble treatment.

Yeah I didn't see any leather on their site. Too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Girologio 12 pen case and l like it very much. I just tried my Guider Capsule in the loops - it measures 159 mm long capped and roughly 18 mm in diameter. It does fit without too much trouble. This means it is larger than either a MB 149 or a Pelikan M1000 (147 mm in length) 149 is 16 mm at widest point and the M1000 just over 14 mm widest point. So a KOP or a 360 should fit.

The Guider does butt up against the fabric that holds the zipper, but it isn't so close the zipper hits the pen, so no danger of damaging the material.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain