Suggestions For A True Fine

bunnspecial

Waterman Carène; you have to return 4 drops to the bottle or it will dump them on the cap, otherwise gorgeous and reliable pen.

I have a Pilot 91 in SFM which seems to tick all the boxes, unbelievably smooth experience, does make inks shade a lot, which unfortunately is not my preference. A 74 / 91 / 92 with a regular nib would probably work well, as well as an MF Sailor.

Parker 75, the Ciselé is the great classic.

Another Pelikan...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• A Smug Dill

• langere

• zaddick

I suggest a Sailor Realo. It fits all of your criteria, including piston filler. The "F" nib on a Realo is very precise and has good flow.

Erick

+1

Alright, as a follow up(and thanks for all the advice)

I received an order from Goulet yesterday that had the first suggestion in this thread in it-a Pilot CH92. So far, I'm happy with it-the nib basically checks all the marks I'm looking for(I could stand a bit more flex, but that's not a big deal). I'm actually kind of appreciating what is now my first demonstrator. it's nice to be able to see ink levels completely and watch how everything works.

I also scratched a long-term itch with a Vanishing Point, which I've been threatening to get for a while. I ordered it with an EF and it is...really fine... I'd go so far as to say that it's almost too fine, but I can see situations where it will be useful. It has TWSBI Blue-Black in it now, which was also an unknown(wanted another IG ink I could get reliably) and it MAY be that making it so scratchy, but it will definitely be a good meeting/note taking pin. The upside down clip isn't as strange as I expected, and makes a nice digital reference for where to put my fingers. The only really big issue is that I can't seem to get very much ink in the converter, which seems to be a common complaint, but at least with an EF nib even a little bit lasts a while.

I want to explore several other options in this thread also. Truth be told, the MB 22 suggestion hit home, since I actually have one somewhere, but several of my pens ended up in a box that I haven't uncovered after a recent move. I haven't used it in a while, but the nib is certainly on the fine side-it's finer than my 146 for sure, but maybe not as much so as the new CH92. I've never pulled the nib out of it to see what if anything it's marked.

The Sailor Realo is interesting to me, and I like the idea of a 21K nib. Truth be told, I'm not sure I even have any 18K nibs-all of mine are 14K-so I'd be interested in seeing how a nib made of gold that soft writes.

I also scratched a long-term itch with a Vanishing Point, which I've been threatening to get for a while. I ordered it with an EF and it is...really fine…

It'd be finer than the 14K gold EF nib on a Pilot Elite 95S, I'd say.

I'd go so far as to say that it's almost too fine,

Especially if you use Sailor Kiwaguro in it; that's one combination (with a Pilot Capless EF nib) I've learnt to avoid, even when I almost always prefer pens that put down very narrow lines.

but I can see situations where it will be useful. It has TWSBI Blue-Black in it now, which was also an unknown(wanted another IG ink I could get reliably) and it MAY be that making it so scratchy, but it will definitely be a good meeting/note taking pin.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'd recommend against using iron-gall inks in Pilot Capless pens, which in my experience (with about ten of them here) are not great at preventing ink evaporation when their nibs are retracted; and you're also apt to get ink onto the inside of the nose cone. The gold nib might be very resistant to corrosion from the acid in iron-gall ink, but the metal trapdoor mechanism may be less so, and so I personally wouldn't risk it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It'd be finer than the 14K gold EF nib on a Pilot Elite 95S, I'd say.

Especially if you use Sailor Kiwaguro in it; that's one combination (with a Pilot Capless EF nib) I've learnt to avoid, even when I almost always prefer pens that put down very narrow lines.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'd recommend against using iron-gall inks in Pilot Capless pens, which in my experience (with about ten of them here) are not great at preventing ink evaporation when their nibs are retracted; and you're also apt to get ink onto the inside of the nose cone. The gold nib might be very resistant to corrosion from the acid in iron-gall ink, but the metal trapdoor mechanism may be less so, and so I personally wouldn't risk it.

Thanks for the suggestion WRT not using IG in the Vanishing Point.

First of all, even though I complained about it seeming to not hold much ink(and the internet seems to agree) the nib seems to be very ink-economical(which I suppose makes sense for an EF). I've been going out of my way today to use it as much as possible. I can right a lot tighter with it than I normally can, and I made a point of just writing a full page of stream-of-conscious thought just to get use to the feel of the pen. I've written up a few days of lecture notes to teach, started planning out an exam for next week, and also wrote a big pile of thank-you notes. With my 146, for example, I'd have likely refilled it at least once with that amount of writing. The VP is very low, but it's still going with no signs of weak lines or whatever.

I'll most likely run it out tomorrow, and once that happens will heed your suggestion, clean it, and switch over to maybe a more standard blue. Private Reserve American Blue has always been one of my go-to wet inks, and I think it would pair nicely.