Efnir: Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same

This is review #41 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning: Slightly harder than Fuyu-Syogun, 1.5 rinses rather than 1. :D

Quote is from Ursula K. LeGuin, The Other Wind.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.PilotIroshizukuKirisame.jpg.3cf95e7402f342762316002b823f464d.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.PilotIroshizukuKirisameS.jpg.20540a4c034bbcfcfd05fa60b897ea41.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.PilotIroshizukuKirisameZ.jpg.5d8e3451bb1f56ca44be53be4aa616b4.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.PilotIroshizukuKirisameAP.jpg.375240668cc732efaaf0bd84e4066c28.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Undocumented Mix.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Sailor Kenshin

• Intensity

Great review Liz, as usual....

I wonder what would this thread provoke, hopefully something nice out of the cauldron ;)

Funny some Wiccan, witch, sorceress, or maybe it was a wizard, who had dissed another ink, for being similar to ballpoint.

And now with a twitch of the nose promotes another for resembling a lowly pencil..... Shocking ;) :D

Great review Liz, as usual....

I wonder what would this thread provoke, hopefully something nice out of the cauldron ;)

Funny some Wiccan, witch, sorceress, or maybe it was a wizard, who had dissed another ink, for being similar to ballpoint.

And now with a twitch of the nose promotes another for resembling a lowly pencil..... Shocking ;) :D

:lticaptd:

Pencils are acceptable and have their uses. There is no excuse for using a ballpoint! B)

:lticaptd:

Pencils are acceptable and have their uses. There is no excuse for using a ballpoint! B)

My point! Then use a pencil :P

And ballpoints are handy when you need to write something on a fountain pen hating label..... :lol:

My point! Then use a pencil :P

And ballpoints are handy when you need to write something on a fountain pen hating label..... :lol:

I say replace the label! ;) Rollerballs and fineliners / Sakura Pigma Microns are the only non-fountain pens I have left.

Meanwhile, JetPens got Hobonichis in, so in addition to my Uni Kuru Toga Advance, 0.7mm mechanical pencil, I got four inks which I have just added to the "next ink poll" - in case anyone wants to go vote:

• J. Herbin Lie de Thé (got a bottle)
  • Kaweco Midnight Blue (got a pack of cartridges - cheaper than ink samples)
  • Kaweco Smokey Grey (ditto)
  • Kaweco Summer Purple (ditto)

I also got a cute little eraser dust mechanical sweeper thing. Supposedly it works and makes obnoxious clicking noises. :) We'll see if it lives up to its reputation.

Nice one! Thank you for showing it. When I put this kiri-same besides the fuyu-syogun, I must admit that I like them both. Fuyu-syogun is cooler - more of a winter grey. This kiri-same is browner, warmer and more of an autumn grey. Both of them are excellent inks!

Reminds me of Diamine Silver Fox. Already have a bottle of that 'pencil lead' so this particular Pilot Iroshizuku can be safely ignored. :)

I say replace the label! ;) Rollerballs and fineliners / Sakura Pigma Microns are the only non-fountain pens I have left.

Meanwhile, JetPens got Hobonichis in, so in addition to my Uni Kuru Toga Advance, 0.7mm mechanical pencil, I got four inks which I have just added to the "next ink poll" - in case anyone wants to go vote:

• J. Herbin Lie de Thé (got a bottle)
  • Kaweco Midnight Blue (got a pack of cartridges - cheaper than ink samples)
  • Kaweco Smokey Grey (ditto)
  • Kaweco Summer Purple (ditto)

I also got a cute little eraser dust mechanical sweeper thing. Supposedly it works and makes obnoxious clicking noises. :) We'll see if it lives up to its reputation.

Enjoy your goodies :)

I'm intrigued to see how the Summer Purple works in your pens.... Mine had flow issues.... Pity, lovely colour :)

Nice one! Thank you for showing it. When I put this kiri-same besides the fuyu-syogun, I must admit that I like them both. Fuyu-syogun is cooler - more of a winter grey. This kiri-same is browner, warmer and more of an autumn grey. Both of them are excellent inks!

Thanks! That's it exactly! Personally, I only like Kiri-same in Japanese F and EF nibs, where it looks like pencil. In broader nibs, it's too brownish pink for my liking.

Enjoy your goodies :)

I'm intrigued to see how the Summer Purple works in your pens.... Mine had flow issues.... Pity, lovely colour :)

Thanks! I've never used Kaweco inks, so it'll be interesting to see how they do. Lie de The is one I really like, though - looks lovely in my Pelikan m405, "F" :rolleyes: nib.

I ordered them "free shipping" - otherwise known as "slow boat to China" - so I expect it'll be a few weeks, but then they all have 0 votes, so they'll need time to "catch up". :D

Edited by LizEF

Lovely. This is my first (and so far, only) Iroshizuku ink.

I love it, but I have a hard time using it. I don't write enough in grey.

It is rather pale, so probably not the first choice for most uses. I make a deliberate effort to ensure my lesser-used inks don't turn into never-used inks - unless I actually dislike the ink. :)

Why, you seem to be on a streak, reviewing inks I have!

Thanks. This is my warm counterpoint to the Iroshizuku Fuyu Syogan, and I had recently gone on a drastic gray ink spree (MV Smoke Noir, MB Oyster, Diamine Silver Fox included, which is paler than this).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Why, you seem to be on a streak, reviewing inks I have!

Thanks. This is my warm counterpoint to the Iroshizuku Fuyu Syogan, and I had recently gone on a drastic gray ink spree (MV Smoke Noir, MB Oyster, Diamine Silver Fox included, which is paler than this).

:D I have spies. Wait! That's supposed to be a secret. Forget I said that. If Diamine Silver Fox is paler than this, I think I will manage without it. I do have a few more greys, but they're all samples I haven't tried yet, so the Fuyu-syogun and Kiri-same swatch cards are sure to make guest appearances in future reviews. :)

Thanks! I've never used Kaweco inks, so it'll be interesting to see how they do. Lie de The is one I really like, though - looks lovely in my Pelikan m405, "F" :rolleyes: nib.

I ordered them "free shipping" - otherwise known as "slow boat to China" - so I expect it'll be a few weeks, but then they all have 0 votes, so they'll need time to "catch up". :D

I remedied that ;)

:D I have spies. Wait! That's supposed to be a secret. Forget I said that. If Diamine Silver Fox is paler than this, I think I will manage without it. I do have a few more greys, but they're all samples I haven't tried yet, so the Fuyu-syogun and Kiri-same swatch cards are sure to make guest appearances in future reviews. :)

Do you have the Monteverde Smoke Noir? It's almost black, but I really like it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Do you have the Monteverde Smoke Noir? It's almost black, but I really like it.

No, the other three are:

• 3 Oysters Delicious Cool Gray
  • 3 Oysters I.COLOR.U Doldam
  • De Atramentis Document Ink Urban Grey

They seem to be fairly different from each other, but we'll see.