Sailor Compass (Aka Profit Jr.)

ahtzib

Thanks for this presentation, I happen to have just acquired the 1911S in what I think is the exact same colour, which is hard to capture, it has some yellow under sunlight, which turns to a bright bottle green under artificial lights; every time I look at it I think "sci-fi movie". In all truth I think I got it because it was seared in my mind having looked to at it so many times.

The 14k F nib flows well, Chiku Rin is a great match and happens to come out very light, which I really like, even though it's borderline legible. It feels as solid and thus far has been as reliable as my Pro Gear large, the section threads are metal with a rubber washer. I think the pen, converter (and in some related models, ink as well) package is a good idea, but the Compass does seem a bit overpriced, my 1911s was $68 + quite a bit for taxes and shipping, plus the converter.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• ahtzib

• corniche

• inkstainedruth

Now if only Sailor offered it in the solid colors it's available in Japan, and it was around $10 cheaper, it would be a truly great entry level option

Now if only Sailor offered it in the solid colors it's available in Japan, and it was around $10 cheaper, it would be a truly great entry level option

The procolor is the same pen, in solid colour, except its double the price of the Profit Jr.

The procolor is the same pen, in solid colour, except its double the price of the Profit Jr.

Sorry, but I'm afraid you're wrong in every respect there.

fpn_1600040576__sailor_procolor_500_and_

Source: Sailor.co.jp

The MSRP of the Profit Junior is ¥2,000+tax while the MSRP of the Procolor 500 is ¥5,000+tax.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 months later...
On 9/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, corniche said:

Is the Compass available in solid colors?

I have seen ProFit Jnrs on eBay in solid colours

On 9/13/2020 at 9:56 AM, senzen said:

Thanks for this presentation, I happen to have just acquired the 1911S in what I think is the exact same colour, which is hard to capture, it has some yellow under sunlight, which turns to a bright bottle green under artificial lights; every time I look at it I think "sci-fi movie". In all truth I think I got it because it was seared in my mind having looked to at it so many times.

The 14k F nib flows well, Chiku Rin is a great match and happens to come out very light, which I really like, even though it's borderline legible. It feels as solid and thus far has been as reliable as my Pro Gear large, the section threads are metal with a rubber washer. I think the pen, converter (and in some related models, ink as well) package is a good idea, but the Compass does seem a bit overpriced, my 1911s was $68 + quite a bit for taxes and shipping, plus the converter.

I'm predisposed to darker inks, especially blues. But when I read your post, I was reminded that I actually relegated a small bottle of chiku-rin to the back of my ink drawer ages ago. I just finished a fill of Sailor blue in my Compass and decided I'd give my much-neglected chiku-rin a try...and you're right! It's a perfect match for this pen. I wasn't sure I'd ever have a use for this particular shade of iro, but this will be a fun way to use it up. Thanks so much your reply and the cool ink-matching idea!

• 7 months later...

Are those new colors?  Some of them I could see myself using....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 8/29/2021 at 6:21 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Are those new colors?  Some of them I could see myself using....

Especially since I think the default nib is MF.  Who sells these in  the States?  Most of the retailers here seem to only have the gold nib Sailors.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

16 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Who sells these in  the States?  Most of the retailers here seem to only have the gold nib Sailors.

I don't know about that range of colours specifically, but both Pen Boutique and Goulet Pens list Sailor Profit Jr. pens (in see-through colours) in their online shops' product catalogues, and EndlessPens sell — or sold, while specific colourways were in stock — the Sailor Lecoule (including the opaque ‘adult colours’ range, as well as the ‘power stone’ range and some see-through models) which are fitted with the same type of steel MF nib.

US-based stockists of the Sailor Shikiori Hisakata and Tsukuyo no Minamo ranges (based on the Procolor 500 model), which have a different type of steel nib, seem a bit more difficult to find.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 minutes ago, bestillmysoul said:

Which convertor does the Sailor Profit Junior accept?

Current production models 14-0806-220, 14-0506-2xx, and 14-0704-220, and discontinued models 14-0500-* and 14-0504-* (but not 14-0502-*).

20 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I don't know about that range of colours specifically, but both Pen Boutique and Goulet Pens list Sailor Profit Jr. pens (in see-through colours) in their online shops' product catalogues, and EndlessPens sell — or sold, while specific colourways were in stock — the Sailor Lecoule (including the opaque ‘adult colours’ range, as well as the ‘power stone’ range and some see-through models) which are fitted with the same type of steel MF nib.

Huh.  I saw Goulet had the see-through versions, but those aren't my preference. I had neglected to check Pen Boutique but don't see any Profits there. Also had forgotten about Endless, but they are (as you noted) sold out.  Anderson has the steel 1911s, but not the neat colours shown above.

Festina lente

• 3 months later...

I noticed a number of concerns regarding Compass and the durability of the plastic.

Here is a brief story.

Accidental test of Sailor Compass durability

Laundry Guy, soon to be known as Inattentive Laundry Guy, moves the clean clothes over to the dryer.

What’s that noise? Ah (insert word of choice) that’s my Compass that just went through the laundry bouncing on the floor.

Translucent green no longer, the Edelstein Olivine made it an eye dropper, including the cap.  The pretty translucent green is now opaque.  Great.  I put it aside and finish task.

What’s that noise?  Oh, the Compass attempts suicide (or was it pushed) as it leaps from the dryer top to the floor.  Insert words and phrases of choice.

Cleanup on Isle 7, Clean up on Isle 7.

At the present time the nib is enjoying a bath while the cap and barrel are stuffed with paper towels to dry.

Time passes.

Observations

1. No ink escaped the pen during submergence, spin, etc and then two drops to the floor.
  2. The pen disassembled normally and was rinsed.
  3. After drying the cap and barrel have no apparent marks or breaks

Two Month follow. Up

Pen works perfect, every time it is used.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

18 hours ago, bone215 said:

Two Month follow. Up

Sold. Don't think that would happen with a Diplomat Magnum, nor a Pilot Metro.  

Laundry guy somehow didn't dye the clothes??? I thought Platinum had all the special sealing mechanisms!

Edited by essayfaire
typo

Festina lente

1 hour ago, bone215 said:

I noticed a number of concerns regarding Compass and the durability of the plastic.

Here is a brief story.

Accidental test of Sailor Compass durability

Laundry Guy, soon to be known as Inattentive Laundry Guy, moves the clean clothes over to the dryer.

What’s that noise? Ah (insert word of choice) that’s my Compass that just went through the laundry bouncing on the floor.

Translucent green no longer, the Edelstein Olivine made it an eye dropper, including the cap.  The pretty translucent green is now opaque.  Great.  I put it aside and finish task.

What’s that noise?  Oh, the Compass attempts suicide (or was it pushed) as it leaps from the dryer top to the floor.  Insert words and phrases of choice.

Cleanup on Isle 7, Clean up on Isle 7.

At the present time the nib is enjoying a bath while the cap and barrel are stuffed with paper towels to dry.

Time passes.

Observations

1. No ink escaped the pen during submergence, spin, etc and then two drops to the floor.
  2. The pen disassembled normally and was rinsed.
  3. After drying the cap and barrel have no apparent marks or breaks

Two Month follow. Up

Wow!  Good to know there was a happy ending....

I had visions of Edelstein Olivine on every piece of clothing you owned.  Mind you I LOVE Edelstein Olivine -- but on paper -- not on my shirts, or on the towels, or on the sheets....

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

perhaps when I said "two drops" I should have clarified, the pen dropped to the floor two times, but not a drop of ink escaped the pen.  It was just the ink was all over the inside of the pen.

none the less         it is a tough little pen and it has a sailor nib.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• 11 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 5:39 AM, corniche said:

Hi Dimy,

Yes. As long as the section, section threading and barrel, (dont forget to look inside with a penlight), are all plastic, with NO metal parts; you can convert the pen to an eyedropper. Just make sure the barrel doesn't have a breather hole. ;)

Naturally, this one meets those parameters; as do many others.

- Sean :)

But it does have that plug so that might be an issue. 

The rebranding of the profit imo is a response to the knockoff of a knockoff that is the monza lol. The Jr profit offered in Japan doesn't come with a converter.