Labor Day Sales?

g33klibrarian

So far I'm seeing a 15% off at Fountain Pen Revolution and Endless Pens is starting a sale on Friday 9-4. Any other y'all see?

Edit: Endless Pens is coupons based on amount spent (ie $10 off $100 purchased)

Edited by g33klibrarian

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• corniche

• Barkingpig

• g33klibrarian

Obviously that only applies to US retailers, and not even North American (i.e. inclusive of Canadian, and may or may not include Mexican) retailers at large, much less the vast majority of everywhere else. I'm pretty sure I got 'newsletters' from EndlessPens, which is based in Florida, about some Labor Day sale; but I'll confess I haven't looked too closely into it as I doubt it'd be any more interesting than its (sometimes, but not always) lacklustre Hop Drop promotions lately, and I didn't see anything impressive at a glance.

Cult Pens in the UK (with whom I've spent more than enough over multiple orders in the past three weeks) has just ended its summer sale promotion, La Couronne du Comte hasn't offered anything lately (and I suppose understandably, given most of continental Europe was supposedly on 'holiday' in August), and Australian retailers… well, they're a write-off, and sadly I don't know how many of them have survived the current business climate, but it's safe to conclude that Standard Bindery and Blackstone are history/casualties. PenGallery in Malaysia, with whom I've dealt a number of times before and whose customer service I cannot and will not fault, hasn't offered any special promotions lately.

So, no, I haven't personally seen anything of note that prompts my spending money I don't comfortably have, on account of Labor Day.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Lemur Ink has 15% off for their "Moving Sale" this weekend.

(As always their free shipping over $20.00 & most reasonable $4.00 under $20.00)

Remembering how horrible it is to MOVE, I was happy to make a small order!

What is the discount code for Lemur Ink, I don't see any mention of a moving sale on their site.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png

Not a sale, but if you are looking for some Diamine ink there is a seller on eBay that has the 80ml bottles for $11.19 with free shipping.

(Usual disclaimer, I have no relationship with this seller beyond buying a bottle of ink)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

anyone knows any sales for Rhodia or other good paper?

I ordered eighteen A5-sized Rhodia Dotpad No.16 notepads from Cult Pens recently, during their 'Round the World' summer 2020 sale (which has since ended), which was significantly cheaper even than what Amazon Australia could offer me "sold and shipped by Amazon UK", which was again notably cheaper than Amazon AU's own offer as a retailer, which is again rather cheaper than what local retailers of significant presence such as OfficeWorks and Milligram in Australia. The A4-sized pads were cheap too, but I don't have much use for them; and I already have a hoard of 48 of those lined pads from Milligram anyway.

Nothing to do with Labor Day (in the US only?) sales, sorry.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hi all,

I've been cleaning out Pen Chalet:

1. Leonardo Officina Italiana Momento Zero in Sorrento Gold with a stub nib, $123

2. Conklin Endura Abalone LE with Stub, $104

3. Conklin Word Gauge in blue with stub, $65

And Levengers:

True Writer, Kyoto Gold with M nib. $61

True Writer, 20th Anniversary with M nib, $75

Cobalt ink, $12

Peyton Street Pens:

Sheaffer Prelude in copper with GT & Med nib, USA, $48

The latter wasn't a sale.

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Obviously that only applies to US retailers, and not even North American (i.e. inclusive of Canadian, and may or may not include Mexican) retailers at large, much less the vast majority of everywhere else. I'm pretty sure I got 'newsletters' from EndlessPens, which is based in Florida, about some Labor Day sale; but I'll confess I haven't looked too closely into it as I doubt it'd be any more interesting than its (sometimes, but not always) lacklustre Hop Drop promotions lately, and I didn't see anything impressive at a glance.

Cult Pens in the UK (with whom I've spent more than enough over multiple orders in the past three weeks) has just ended its summer sale promotion, La Couronne du Comte hasn't offered anything lately (and I suppose understandably, given most of continental Europe was supposedly on 'holiday' in August), and Australian retailers… well, they're a write-off, and sadly I don't know how many of them have survived the current business climate, but it's safe to conclude that Standard Bindery and Blackstone are history/casualties. PenGallery in Malaysia, with whom I've dealt a number of times before and whose customer service I cannot and will not fault, hasn't offered any special promotions lately.

So, no, I haven't personally seen anything of note that prompts my spending money I don't comfortably have, on account of Labor Day.

Labor Day is an official Holiday in Canada as well as the U.S.

The holiday predates the use of May first as a Holiday as established by a certain political group several years later.

I don't believe any holiday would prompt me to spend money, except as a way and in relation to celebrating it and in regard to pens, that would be Fountain Pen Day. Still, businesses do use holidays in some places to have sales, especially if by statute they have or had a limit on how many sales they might have per year and those are or were tied to specific holiday periods.

How did a LD Sale turn into a need for a history lesson or a book to be written aka long post? Some of you have emotional issues that need to be resolved prior to posting... :D

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I don't believe any holiday would prompt me to spend money, except as a way and in relation to celebrating it and in regard to pens, that would be Fountain Pen Day.

I agree. I actually hate shopping holidays like Black Friday after Thanksgiving. Spending for the sake of spending feels weird at best. For me, I've been saving up for a Lamy 2000 and was hoping to save a few bucks in the process. I largely succeeded ($126 from Endless Pens) and now hope I really like it.

PS... thanks to everyone who chipped in info!

Edited by g33klibrarian

I agree. I actually hate shopping holidays like Black Friday after Thanksgiving. Spending for the sake of spending feels weird at best. For me, I've been saving up for a Lamy 2000 and was hoping to save a few bucks in the process. I largely succeeded ($126 from Endless Pens) and now hope I really like it.

PS... thanks to everyone who chipped in info!

Hi G33,

Me, too - in regards to the Lamy 2000 - I'm waiting for my first one, too.

I might have gone a little overboard, but I don't care - I got some great deals.

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I actually hate shopping holidays like Black Friday after Thanksgiving. Spending for the sake of spending feels weird at best. For me, I've been saving up for a Lamy 2000 and was hoping to save a few bucks in the process.

I wouldn't care whether it was Labor Day or Liberal Day, Black Friday or just any day of the week. I love spending on stuff I like eating, doing or having, arguably for the sake of spending because it gives (my) money meaning.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to the opportunity to "save" a few dollars by spotting an opportunity and scoring a bargain; whether it's moving sale, closing-down sale, or a promotion campaign in the name of some other occasion is just as good. And "shopping holidays" are great because it's like a game of being bombarded by hundreds of leads — some of which will have useful information, some will be red herrings, and some may even be dishonest or traps — in a narrow window of time, and having to sort through that quickly and effectively to win a "prize" (of a particular bargain one happens to desire) that is on offer.

For some opportunities, one has to beat other unseen and unknowable players, i.e. fellow consumers and/or bargain-hunters all over the place, to the punch to win. Whoever is the most alert for news, most aware when it comes to what other commercial terms will apply (e.g. free shipping thresholds, so one might already have in the back of his/her mind a list of items with which to pad orders), most resourceful in terms of having additional discount codes or cashback/rebate offers that can be used in conjunction, most ready with a credit card and/or a budget to deal with those occasions, and quickest to execute but not prematurely in case the discount level is understood to either increase or decrease over the narrow "game-play" period, will have the advantage.

I love it.

I largely succeeded ($126 from Endless Pens) and now hope I really like it.

Yes, EndlessPens offer pretty good discounts from time to time — and usually its weekly (or fortnightly?) Hop Drop promotions beat any named day sale campaigns — but since the free shipping threshold went up, I've only placed one order with them this year, on the occasion when it temporarily lowered the threshold for a weekend. Otherwise, having to pay US$30 in shipping would wipe out most of the effective "savings" from discounts on offer.

I still have an unopened Lamy 2000 Makrolon, Lamy Studio Lx All Black and Lamy cp1 with titanium oxide finish each that I bought from EndlessPens last year. The last two are my two favourite Lamy pen models, and are just back-ups (acquired relatively cheaply), but of course the units of both that I'm already using are a long way from requiring replacement. As for the Lamy 2000 ... hmmm.

Anyway, whatever the supposed occasion or reason is for discount offers, Cult Pens and La Couronne du Comte, then EndlessPens and Fontoplumo, and then perhaps Pensachi and Pen Chalet, would be where I'd look first any day of the year to look to "save" a few dollars in the process of buying "toys".