Deccan Author Red Ebonite Eyedropper

Savit

Sharing the pictures of my new Deccan Author Red Ebonite eyedropper pen.

There are 2 previous posts discussing about the acrylic versions of this pen:

I bought the eyedropper, ebonite Author in red colour, with Deccan stock fine nib.

Overall design: It is a simple and elegant design. The colour appears more brownish-red than bright red that is seen in images with light.

fpn_1599148025__whatsapp_image_2020-09-0

fpn_1599147438__dscn4736_low.jpg

The clip appears slightly off the center (but it doesn't matter to me). There were small fragments of chipped off ebonite material in the barrel.

The cap opens in exactly 2 turns.

fpn_1599148272__dscn4752_low.jpg

With cap posted:

fpn_1599147338__dscn4743_low.jpg

Barrel is quite thick and the pen looks very sturdy:

fpn_1599148369__dscn4732_low.jpg

Nib: The junction of nib/feeder and section is beautiful.

fpn_1599148569__dscn4751_low.jpg

fpn_1599148607__dscn4750_low.jpg

Deccan logo (stylized D with stars):

fpn_1599148723__dscn4742_low.jpg

fpn_1599148805__dscn4748_low.jpg

It is quite comfortable to hold in hands while writing. I will use the pen for a couple of weeks and follow-up with how the nib writes. My favorite writing style of nib is a fine nib that puts down a wet line. I will do whatever tuning it takes to suit this pen to my regular writing need.

Please share your pictures of this pen if you have.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Savit

• hari317

• biswa124

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats. Enjoy your pen. It used to cost a bomb a few years back. How much do they charge for it now? The clip looks familiar from a fellowship iirc. Its been a long time. Did you buy it from their shop?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have one, in black ebonite, with a slightly different shape of clip. Yes it was easily my most expensive Indian pen. I bought it years ago from Mesu, who at that time sold quite a few Gamas, Walitys, and assorted other Indian fps that I could not easily find. Mine seems sort of fragile, the material is highly polished and quite thin. One of my better writers. It's not always filled, but it lives on my desktop and I often use it to dip test inks. I think it was this pen that launched my Indian nib odyssee.

Sorry, no pictures to post.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Nice looking pen, red single tone ebonite is not so common, and often looks pale pink. This brick red colour looks nice.

Nice pictures too SBP!

Congrats. Enjoy your pen. It used to cost a bomb a few years back. How much do they charge for it now? The clip looks familiar from a fellowship iirc. Its been a long time. Did you buy it from their shop?

Thanks, Hari. I bought it through phone communication - they sent pictures etc through whatsapp.

They charge 1500. I suspect they have reduced the cost for many pens. I saw a previous post made a couple of years ago that the cost of Advocate was about two thousand. Now a days they charge around eleven hundred for advocate.

I was eyeing for a red advocate that they had. But when I reverted back after a few days confirming that I wanted it, it was gone!

I have one, in black ebonite, with a slightly different shape of clip. Yes it was easily my most expensive Indian pen. I bought it years ago from Mesu, who at that time sold quite a few Gamas, Walitys, and assorted other Indian fps that I could not easily find. Mine seems sort of fragile, the material is highly polished and quite thin. One of my better writers. It's not always filled, but it lives on my desktop and I often use it to dip test inks. I think it was this pen that launched my Indian nib odyssee.

Sorry, no pictures to post.

Good to hear about your experiences with this pen... Thank you..

Nice looking pen, red single tone ebonite is not so common, and often looks pale pink. This brick red colour looks nice.

Nice pictures too SBP!

Thanks, sansenri.. I am looking forward to tuning it well and using it on regular basis..

Thanks, Hari. I bought it through phone communication - they sent pictures etc through whatsapp.

They charge 1500. I suspect they have reduced the cost for many pens. I saw a previous post made a couple of years ago that the cost of Advocate was about two thousand. Now a days they charge around eleven hundred for advocate.

I was eyeing for a red advocate that they had. But when I reverted back after a few days confirming that I wanted it, it was gone!

the authors used to be thrice the cost you mention, half a decade back. Its good if they are dealing over the phone now. I still have a few authors. Will post a group photo later this weekend.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

that is a nice looking pen. i would agree that one doesn't usually see red that vibrant in ebonite, it is usually much paler. I thought the clip looked interesting as well. I'm with MuddyWaters in wishing there was a way to get Deccan pens internationally. I bought one from FPR years ago, but they no longer carry them.

Mine looks like that - only it's eyedropper-filled.

Thanks for prompting me to go look, BTW - the barrel turns out to be as thick as these, too, so not as fragile as I thought... it's only the cap material that is really thin...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The red ebonite really looks nice and I quite like the idea of it behaving differently in different light conditions from what I understand. I do plan on getting my hands on them but that will have to wait for a while. Nice pen at quite nice price thanks for sharing.

The red ebonite really looks nice and I quite like the idea of it behaving differently in different light conditions from what I understand. I do plan on getting my hands on them but that will have to wait for a while. Nice pen at quite nice price thanks for sharing.

the red ebonite photographs very differently under differing light conditions. In hand it is the same color.

the red ebonite photographs very differently under differing light conditions. In hand it is the same color.

I kinda wished it showed some variations like the Blue ebonite that You (hari sir) showed in jumbo one (Nilgai if I remember correctly)....I guess blue has the weird nature in colors (or actual lack of them in nature) as many show such results...still a very beautiful pen to me.

the authors used to be thrice the cost you mention, half a decade back. Its good if they are dealing over the phone now. I still have a few authors. Will post a group photo later this weekend.

Were you referring to ebonite authors or all authors? The acrylics still cost quite a bit (Rs. 6,000 IIRC), but they charge a very reasonable price for the ebonites.

I have one of these red ebonites, very nicely finished. The size seems to have gotten a bit larger as well.

Were you referring to ebonite authors or all authors? The acrylics still cost quite a bit (Rs. 6,000 IIRC), but they charge a very reasonable price for the ebonites.

I have one of these red ebonites, very nicely finished. The size seems to have gotten a bit larger as well.

the acrylic ones. Those were the only versions available when I bought my examples. Of course things seem to have changed or evolved quite a bit in the meanwhile. Do all authors come with this clip shown by SBP now?

That does look like a nice pen. And ebonite has such a nice warmth to it.

What's the size (length, girth) and weight? I have to use smaller size pens because I have girly hands, and too big and heavy isn't comfortable. Weight-wise, the limit is 28 grams capped or posted (which is the weight of the TWSBI 580-AL and 580-ALR, and is now my benchmark for weight limit on pens).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

the acrylic ones. Those were the only versions available when I bought my examples. Of course things seem to have changed or evolved quite a bit in the meanwhile. Do all authors come with this clip shown by SBP now?

I bought two rauthors ecently, one acrylic one ebonite. Both have the same clips as above. I do prefer the clips from earlier models. The best author I have is an eyedropper circa 2013 (shown above in the family photograph). The earlier one (aerometric filler, also in the family photograph) is nice but I find it to be a bit small. And it does not hold much by way of ink.