The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 823 Hairline Barrel Cracks

pilot custom 823 leaks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 15:50

My Pilot Custom 823 has started to leak small amounts of ink from the lower barrel and the trim ring. There appears to be a tiny hairline crack in the area. The pen has not been disassembled. The problem began after a normal flushing due to an ink change. Any way to repair this?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,985 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 16:04

...and I bet it's close to or along the seam.

This is a tough repair because the acrylic doesn't respond to the solvents we use very well, and the pressure of the 0-ring seems to put enough stress on the area that it opens up again. 

If I were to repair it, I would also remove the 0-ring, and seal the threads with a rosin based thread sealant

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 16:32

...and I bet it's close to or along the seam.

This is a tough repair because the acrylic doesn't respond to the solvents we use very well, and the pressure of the 0-ring seems to put enough stress on the area that it opens up again. 

If I were to repair it, I would also remove the 0-ring, and seal the threads with a rosin based thread sealant

I will send you an email requesting a repair. Thanks

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:33

Ron's work is peerless, for sure, but why not email pilot and see what they can do? They replaced a cracked section on my justus 95 for free.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, custom 823, leaks

Sponsored Content

|