Big Design Ti Ultra Pen

andyv108

Has anyone purchased the "Ti Ultra Pen" by Big Design? It is a titanium pen that can be converted into a fountain, rollerball, or ball pen. It is pricey at $240 but comes with all the hardware to convert the pen and includes two nibs (stainless and titanium).

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Emiliano

San Antonio, Texas

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gloucesterman

• peroride

• andyv108

• EllipticEquations

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not purchased the Ti Ultra Pen, but I own several similar pens from Modern Fuel and Stilform. They are similar in the sense that they are all machined from metal, and made by somewhat non-traditional and design-oriented companies. They are also similar in their pricing strategy and in their aggressive online advertisement.

To be honest, I am very disappointed by these pens. They come with something new, but after a few days I lost interest in those gimmicks..The nibs are quite boring, especially if you consider the price. Also at least for me, they are too heavy for long writing sessions. The weight is a consequence of their all metal bodies as well as their gimmicky designs...

One thing they always say is that this pen will last you a lifetime...I don't disagree with that. But I don't live forever, and most of my pens, that are much cheaper and much more interesting, will last me a lifetime...So that's a nice ad slogan but not much more...

Sorry to be so negative...Just sharing my honest opinion. If you indeed purchase the pen, I still hope that you will enjoy it :)

I have one, good concept and well executed.

(Un)fortunately the titanium bock 250 is so good i didn't want to use it for it's intended purpose: fountain pen companion.

Now rightfully it has a Montblanc rollerball refill. Turns out I do not use it as much as I should- remote work and fountain pens with permanent ink (Sailor Souboku) really fit the bill.

The thing is built like a tank but too heavy for my tastes though one could defend oneself with this kubotan (paracord lanyard at the clip and strike with endcap).

It is well balanced but does take many tight turns to untwist the cap so not a quick draw pen. One great benefit however is the non-fountain pen section takes all manner of refills from ballpoint to rollerball as in G2 or MB

In the long run, the gimmick of multi-pen: fountain pen + X is not practical as the extra section must be carried to switch. You might as well just get multiple single use dedicated pens.

This pen would work for someone who only wants 1 pen in their lifetime or as a gift to a tactical EDC prepper type person.

Any chance of a picture or two? Or at least a link to some images, please.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Any chance of a picture or two? Or at least a link to some images, please.

https://bigidesign.com/products/ti-ultra-pen

Seems high, but the kit is really is a good value. I had a discount coupon so that helped.

You get a bunch of doodads: steel, titanium bock nibs, 2 sections, o-rings.

I didn't think at the time, but in real life routine; I didn't want to schlepp around all these bits and pieces to do a switcheroo.

There's different grades of titanium; Conid feels better but there's a big price difference B)

My Conid Kingsize is around 38 and then some whilst the fat Ti Ultra is 46.5g

I really think the pen shines on the non-fountain pen section that takes in tons of refills, but then you might as well get one of their smaller pens. I still like it though, maybe when I travel again

fpn_1599111524__ultra_ti.jpg

Thank you for the additional information. It looks quite nice and the weight alone would be a strong negative for me.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”