The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The 1985 Meisterstück 146 review

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2007 - 18:44

Hi

Today I bought a modern 146 from the mid 80's (w-germany written on the cap) to know what worth are modern Montblancs as compared to their ancestors. I wasn't disappointed but very satisfied of my purchase, please see enclosed the handwritten review

regards to all

georges
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

#2 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 19:50

Not to hijack a thread but there might be a 146 available in the Marketplace now lticaptd.gif

K

Edited by Tytyvyllus, 07 July 2007 - 19:50.

#3 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2007 - 20:28

Thanks for the handwritten review, Georges. I've always wanted a 146 and hope to have one before too long.

Doug

#4 KG4KAH

KG4KAH

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 13:06

Georges,

Nice review. Yes, I agree that the 146 is a competent writer, and its piston fill system holds a generous amount of ink. I have one bought in the late 80s , and like the feel of it very much. But I could not afford to replace it today, should something irreparable happen to the pen.

Regards,

Wade
Sending with regards (my 73s)

Wade
KG4KAH

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2007 - 21:55

QUOTE(KG4KAH @ Jul 8 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post
Georges,

Nice review. Yes, I agree that the 146 is a competent writer, and its piston fill system holds a generous amount of ink. I have one bought in the late 80s , and like the feel of it very much. But I could not afford to replace it today, should something irreparable happen to the pen.

Regards,

Wade

The pricing of MB's is not really justified today that is why I bought mine in used condition in a very good shape for a decent price. The price of MB should be compared to Rolex pricing it has grown significantly over the last ten years.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2007 - 21:55

QUOTE(KG4KAH @ Jul 8 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post
Georges,

Regards,

Wade

The pricing of MB's is not really justified today that is why I bought mine in used condition in a very good shape for a decent price. The price of MB should be compared to Rolex pricing it has grown significantly over the last ten years.

#7 meanwhile

meanwhile

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 19:18

QUOTE(KG4KAH @ Jul 8 2007, 02:06 PM) View Post
Georges,

Regards,

Wade

You could always buy a Pilot 823 at half the price. It lacks the disaster stories that modern MB's generate and is generally described by competent reviewers as the best pen they've ever written with. It comes in either black or brown translucent resin, and is a vac fill.

To be fair to MB, they are said to be pretty good at repairing pens - if something does happen to yours, you should be able to get it sorted at a reasonable cost, even if it means sticking the nib on an entirely new body.

- Jonathan

#8 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 22:12

This is a good review, georges. Thanks.

I have two 146's, one of recent manufacture and one older. They have slightly different nibs, the newer being dual tone, the older being mono tone. Both write extremely well and seem to flow across the paper. Both are super reliable and start up after sitting for as long as a week unused.

I like the unadorned, classic look of the pens and their torpedo shape. The resin has an interestingly warm feel, despite any issues of fragility. I do use my 146's only at home for fear of breaking them a I have indeed seen a MB pen shatter like glass on being dropped (onto a hard floor). But, for home use, the fun of using a good writing pen is worth the risk.

Price is a critical issue. I bought both of my 146's used and got fair prices. If I get another, it will also be used. I see a second important advantage to buying a used pen in the area of repair. If the pen had issues, they most probably have been delt with before I ever see them. At least, that is my hope.

(Edited: My fingers just don't hit the right keys.)

Edited by FrankB, 10 July 2007 - 23:10.

Sponsored Content

|