Kaweco Sport: Want To Want One

goodpens

I'm tempted to buy a Kaweco sport (likely in Macchiato or Fox).

But...

I don't like the shape.

They're lighter than I prefer.

I hear the converters are a pain and not worth it; I don't want to rely on cartridges only or always refilling with a syringe.

I'd prefer something with an ink window.

Basically, I want to want one, but can't pinpoint exactly why.

Should I go ahead and, as an equal opportunity pen enthusiast, get one? Or save the ~$25 and put it toward something I really want.

Input—either way—appreciated!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodpens

• Biber

• Ron Z

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, buy one because you can stick it in your pocket and take it anywhere. And it will write regardless.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

If you're not opposed to Chinese pens there are several metal pocket pens on eBay. Search for:

3 Inch Mini Metal Short Pocket Fountain Pen
and Moonman Mini Metal Brass Fountain Pen
or Classic Design Pocket Metal Pen
I think they are all under $10

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I suggest the alsport rather than the sport due to the use of aluminum in the alsport.

Yes, it will require cartridges, but it is quite convenient, robust and writes well.

Edited by Parker51

The AL sport and the Brass sport are heavier. But also more expensive.

You may want to check out the D'like Alpha, which is also brass (and I think there are AL versions too), cheaper and slightly larger to take a standard converter.

Or even consider a clone of the Sport/Alpha: look for brass fountain pen on eBay: you'll find the Kaweco, the Alpha, the 4USD clones and also some other alternatives (like the Moonman mini)

If it is a smallish pen you want, The Liliput, or its Delike clone may also be an interesting choice.

If you want an ink window, then I agree, a vintage Kaweco Sport (but it'll be more expensive) is what you are after.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Big fan here of the Al-Sport and brass versions! More expensive but sure feel good in the hand.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Get a vintage one. Lovely gold nibs, ink window, foolproof piston. Cast your line in German eBay and be patient, you'll eventually land one for the price of an AL-Sport or less.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I get to handle pens all day. Nice pens. Sometimes expensive pens. I have a lot of nice pens of my own too....

I have one of the brass sports that goes in the pocket every day, 'cause hey, you never know. Always writes, even if it's been a couple of months since I filled it. Even if short, when posted it's comfortable to use, especially with the weight.

My first one didn't post properly, so I wrote to ask if they could help. The answer was "Yup, we had a bunch that were a little too small in the barrel, a bit too big in the cap so they didn't post, you got one of them." ...and they sent a new cap and barrel from Germany, at no charge.

I've always liked the pens. Now I like their service too.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

A local stationery store carried Kaweco pens for a while (not sure if they still do). So I stopped in to have a look. And honestly, I didn't much care for the Sports when I held one (I honestly didn't much care for the higher priced models either). And I've read enough bad things about the quality of their converters that I don't really want one (cartridge only is a major dealbreaker for me -- I've cleaned and refilled and sealed enough Parker cartridges early on to never really want to do it again).

I do like look of the Lilliput Fireblue -- but not the price. To the point where I have considered buying a plain brass one and finding someone with a blowtorch (I have a couple of friends who do jewelry making, and I know a few people who are blacksmiths). But of course I'd then have the same problem I do with the Kaweco Sports -- a cartridge-only pen. And unlike the (plastic model Sports, you can't really turn a metal pen into an eyedropper filler....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thought about a vintage one? They're slightly heavier and they're piston fillers.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1698/1911/files/kaweco-sport-historie.pdf

Wasn't there a more recent limited edition series in acrylic with a piston filler too? The tortoiseshell, I thought, was most attractive.

Edit - just tracked down a review https://www.penaddict.com/blog/2013/10/2/kaweco-art-sport-review - it was the ART Sport and it wasn't piston. But VERY attractive (though pricey) nonetheless.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Actually Ruth, the Kaweco slide converter fits and works very well. You don't think I'd use a cartridge, do you? I like the idea of a spring in the end of the barrel pushing against the converter for a little security, but they didn't go cheap like Monteverde did on the slide converter.

it was the ART Sport and it wasn't piston. But VERY attractive

Nice, but I like the brass one better. I have a black AL as well, with the carbon fiber panels, but again, like the brass. They're pretty tough.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Actually Ruth, the Kaweco slide converter fits and works very well. You don't think I'd use a cartridge, do you? I like the idea of a spring in the end of the barrel pushing against the converter for a little security, but they didn't go cheap like Monteverde did on the slide converter.

Nice, but I like the brass one better. I have a black AL as well, with the carbon fiber panels, but again, like the brass. They're pretty tough.

I agree. Kaweco's new converter is quite nice and high quality. Fits very snugly too. I also have the AC sport in red but, the coating feels so fragile so, it's a desk pen for me.

For EDC, I prefer to use my classic sport or the steel sport.

And unlike the (plastic model Sports, you can't really turn a metal pen into an eyedropper filler....

Why? I dare say most of the water pipes and fittings in your house are likely metal, and I'll bet you have a metal water bottle or two kicking around, not to mention canned fruits and veggies, soda, beer etc. Not all of them are lined either.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

From what I saw of them they were nicer. They seemed to have softer lines about them. Just seem classier all the way around.

Why? I dare say most of the water pipes and fittings in your house are likely metal, and I'll bet you have a metal water bottle or two kicking around, not to mention canned fruits and veggies, soda, beer etc. Not all of them are lined either.

• The threads are pretty thin and do not seal very tightly when closed. There's too much space for grease to seal effectively and worry-free.
    • Adding o-rings are hard since body directly screws to grip. There's no practical place for an o-ring.
  • The nib units on metal ones are screw on, not friction fit. So no seals there either. Again the threads are not tight, grease won't cut it.

• The threads are pretty thin and do not seal very tightly when closed. There's too much space for grease to seal effectively and worry-free.
    • Adding o-rings are hard since body directly screws to grip. There's no practical place for an o-ring.
  • The nib units on metal ones are screw on, not friction fit. So no seals there either. Again the threads are not tight, grease won't cut it.

Fair enough.

Another Kaweco pocket pen alternative to the Sport (though somewhat pricier): I am new to Kaweco--I bought a brass Supra some time back and it hits most of the buttons for me: decent weight, writes reliably (even after a few months sitting idle), makes a decent weapon in a pinch....etc. With the extension, it is a great full-sized pen with a Nr.6 nib. Without the extension, it is a great pocket pen (though you have to go to either cartridges or I am not sure if the mini converter fits the pen without the extension (the standard converter definitely only works with barrel extension in place), and one of the smallest pens I am aware of with a big Nr.6 nib (similar in size, and design concept for that matter, to the Schon DSGN Pocket Six).

If one prefers silver colors to gold, the Supra also comes in stainless steel as well a brass (I just wish it came in pure copper, like the Liliput).