The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Caran D'ache 844, A Thing Of Beauty

caran dache 844 mechanical pencil swiss made

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2020 - 20:47

I've got quite a collection of mechanical pencils, most of them of the drafting-kind. But lately I've been veering off towards more all-around pencils with a solid build. Find them much more pleasurable to carry out when visiting clients or going for a sketch session outside.

So I spotted this Caran d'Ache 844 pencil in bright red over on a local stationary supply chain with a sweet 30% discount. Obviously, couldn't refrain from buying it.

Even thou it is basically the same design as that of the 849 ballpoint (which I also own), and the Fixpencil 3mm lead holder (also own too), I find the mechanical pencil version a bit more satisfying than those. It is light, but sturdy since the body is also made out of aluminum. The clip is safe for carrying it on your shirt pocket and the 0.7mm lead size, makes it a great pencil for writing and sketching. The clicker works in a more satisfying way than that of the 849 ballpoint, and the overall build quality seems build to last. The red paint, looks deep and bright.

Lastly, the lead the pencil came outfitted with, is lovingly smooth. A trademark of most Caran pencils I own, but something I wasn't expecting, since I have a quite a lot of experience with other lead brands such as Pilot Neox, Uni NanoDia, Hi-Uni GCRT, Tombow, and other Japanese leads with quite a nice quality and smooth feel. I must definitely need to order a spare pack.

Do any of you have this pencil? What are your thoughts about it?

Attached Images

• 849.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 EllipticEquations

EllipticEquations

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2020 - 00:17

I enjoyed Caran D'ache 849 very much. However, I have to say that the fixpencil/ leadholder was a disappointment...The clicker is made of some kind of plastic that does not match the overall aesthetic. To make things worse (at least for the one that I own), the clicker became quite loose after a few years of use...

Anyway, good to know that the mechanical pencil is well-built. I might try it out. 

#3 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:59

I enjoyed Caran D'ache 849 very much. However, I have to say that the fixpencil/ leadholder was a disappointment...The clicker is made of some kind of plastic that does not match the overall aesthetic. To make things worse (at least for the one that I own), the clicker became quite loose after a few years of use...

Anyway, good to know that the mechanical pencil is well-built. I might try it out. 

This is the second time in the day that I heard that the Fixpencil lead holder's clicker becomes loose after a while. Mine is hasn't given me any issues whatsoever, but then, I pretty much never take it off. I have a lead sharpener that I always carry with me and I feed lead by the tip. Nonetheless, it really makes you wonder why they couldn't fit a metal cap with it, and spare colored-coded ones with the Technograph lead.

BTW Read that putting some electrical tape over the clicker fixes the issue. I know its not the most aesthetic solution, but at least, it won't be a bother anymore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caran dache, 844, mechanical pencil, swiss made

Sponsored Content

|