M120 Replacement Nib Unit?

brokenclay

I am ordering a Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue from Cult Pens, and wanted the option of another nib. They carry M200/205/215 and M400/405 replacement nib units. Are any of these compatible with the M120?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brokenclay

• carlos.q

• namrehsnoom

• TitoThePencilPimp

Yes they are. Vintage 400 and 400NN nibs will also fit.

If you have not tried out the nibs you mentioned please be advised that modern Pelikan steel nibs in the M200 range are "soft" bordering on semi-flex, while modern Pelikan nibs in the M400 are known as "nails". Choose the nibs according to your preference.

Thank you!

Yes, I was aware of the nib scrollwork on the 120 nib, but I wasn't aware of the soft/hard difference between the 200 and 400s. Given the low price at Cult Pens at the moment, I may just get both.

ETA: No, I won't! Cult Pens has the 2xx nib units in steel, but the 4xx only in gold.

Edited by brokenclay

ETA: No, I won't! Cult Pens has the 2xx nib units in steel, but the 4xx only in gold.

That is correct. M4xx nibs are gold... and much more expensive. I forgot to mention that in my post.

That is correct. M4xx nibs are gold... and much more expensive. I forgot to mention that in my post.

:-). No worries. I am squandering a fair amount of money on Cult Pens' super sale, but Pelikan gold nibs aren't going to be in my basket at the moment.

The gold nibs just look pretty. I much prefer the current steel to current gold nibs Pelikan offers. You are not missing much.

• 4 weeks later...

Gold plated work just fine....and if you don't take abrasive to it, should last for years. Don't rub the nib with anything but a soft damp cotton cloth..........even paper can be too much.

I was buying a used pen (a 150) in a half antique/ half junk store. The owner said, oh the nib is dirty. I told him it was ok. DON'T......and it was too late he took a paper towel to it removing the old ink and the gold plating. Good thing the pen was cheap.

And you Do Not Want a modern fat stiff Gold nib...................if so go get a '50-65 semi-flex nib..... :notworthy1: :puddle: .....all will tell you they are worth every penny............don't get a '82-97 semi-vintage gold nib. A gold plated or steel 200's nib is =.

You can save up for that vintage nib.....originally being a cheap noobie...for many years, I never thought I'd have a 400 with a semi-flex nib/////well got a semi-flex 140 first.... :notworthy1: At the flea market I tested the nib on my thumbnail and knew immediately what all the fuss was about.

I grew up with regular flex nibs as regular issue...........many are younger than me grew up on nails as regular issure. I don't find regular flex nibs like the springy 200 to be all that 'soft'. just what a nib should be for a nice comfortable ride....nicely springy, more than 'soft'. .

Semi-flex is SOFT.......softer.........springier.............absolutely fantastic. I have some 30-40including obliques but I live in Germany and got them back when pens were affordable. (Unless left handed....do not waste your money buying any oblique nib that Is Not semi-flex. I have some 15 or so that are and some5-6 that are not or had them. One nail oblique I sold. The other I had made into CI.....The other regular flex obliques just didn't do the job that a semi-flex does. Though some looking hard found slight traces under their microscope. :wallbash: I having the real thing...German Oblique in semi-flex.... :D .

Eventually, you will have semi-flex and oblique in semi-flex.....next year is also another day.

Semi-flex is not a calligraphy nib!!!! It gives you a natural and fast old fashioned fountain pen script.

Regular flex can be mashed to 3X a light down stroke. Semi-flex needs half that pressure to get to 3 X tine spread. Maxi-semi-flex half of that or 1/4th the pressure needed to mash a regular flex to 3X. All three are in the 3 X tine spread set.............if you force the nib to go wider you risk metal fatigue and springing the nib.

I had always wondered why so many folks said they write slow with semi-flex. I didn't, just scribbling away.

A year of so ago, I ran into some Nib Abuse, where someone was forcing the Pelikan semi-flex nib to go 5X, which is middle of super-flex range. 5-6 X is about 'normal' the 7X you see so often is a nib sprung just for your convenience. &X tine spread is rare! It sure don't look it on Youtube or when selling a pen on Ebay. Sprung nibs won't ever be quite as good as they once were. He was selling a pen he abused the nib on it..... :angry: :gaah:Perhaps he didn't know ...but his calligraphy showed he was no noobie. I just wonder how many nibs he ruined and sold.

It is not a 'it's your pen' abuse, but the ruined nib will be sold.

If there is huge wide lettering on the selling of a semi-flex pen; stay away from it. It has been abused and if not ruined has been weakened.

Testing a nib a couple two or three times to see what it is, is one thing. taking a nib that is designed to only go 3X out to 5 X and writing a book with it.....is not. I don't take any of my semi/maxi-semi-flex out to 5 X...If it goes to 3 X that's good.

Get the vintage gold '50-65 nib from someone who is reputable.

The feed will have 4 combs/rill's, make sure they are all intact.

Spend some time looking up the vintage '50-65 semi-flex nibs. So when you are ready for them, you know enough.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.