The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Indian Pens With Hooded Nib?

hood hooded ratnam ratnamson ratnam son

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 S_B_P

S_B_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 13:31

I am considering to acquire a Ratnamson pen. Among their pens, the model #21 is one with a hooded nib. It seems unique as an ebonite pen with a hooded nib. It also comes in 3 sizes.

On searching previous posts, I do not see much reviews or enthusiasm about this model of pen in this forum.

Has anybody used this pen? What are your experiences?

Are there any other Indian pen manufacturers that offer pens with hooded nib?

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 13:57

You must have seen my review of it among others so I need not say anything. Guider makes a hooded pen. I believe ASA makes one too. These three are ebonite. In plastic you have several options from airmail camlin kanwrite etc.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 16:22

The difference I observed is its nib. Ratnamsons mostly use Parker 51 style hooded nibs whereas Asapens use general schmidt or jowo nibs but it is installed like hooded nib.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 16:48

The difference I observed is its nib. Ratnamsons mostly use Parker 51 style hooded nibs whereas Asapens use general schmidt or jowo nibs but it is installed like hooded nib.

Binod my Ratnamson 21 uses the 00 size nib. Not a tubular nib. My guider uses a tubular nib. HTH.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#5 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 16:58

Binod my Ratnamson 21 uses the 00 size nib. Not a tubular nib. My guider uses a tubular nib. HTH.

Thank you for the correction, Hari. yes it is 00 size nib in Ratnam 21. I saw these nibs in some tiny camlin pens too. I personally am not a big fan of small hooded nibs. I always fascinated with big nibs especially installed in Pilot sterling silver pens, Big sheaffer style triumphs nibs

#6 S_B_P

S_B_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 18:06

You must have seen my review of it among others so I need not say anything. Guider makes a hooded pen. I believe ASA makes one too. These three are ebonite. In plastic you have several options from airmail camlin kanwrite etc.

Thanks, Hari. I had missed your previous post, but searched and found it now. Which size of the pen do you have, and is the nib size the same (00) for all pen sizes?

Thank you for the information about Guider and ASA. Will contact them for the hooded models if they sell them currently.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 18:58

Thanks, Hari. I had missed your previous post, but searched and found it now. Which size of the pen do you have, and is the nib size the same (00) for all pen sizes?
Thank you for the information about Guider and ASA. Will contact them for the hooded models if they sell them currently.

When I bought the pen only one size used to be available. Here is the price list from July 2007

fpn_1598468109__b7a514a1-e081-421e-ab8d-

#8 S_B_P

S_B_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2020 - 18:23

When I bought the pen only one size used to be available. Here is the price list from July 2007

Very interesting to know to what extend the prices have changed over more than a decade :)

#9 S_B_P

S_B_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2020 - 18:29

Guider makes a hooded pen. I believe ASA makes one too. These three are ebonite. In plastic you have several options from airmail camlin kanwrite etc.

I enquired with Guider pens; they do not have hooded pens at present [maybe not making them anymore]..

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:04

I enquired with Guider pens; they do not have hooded pens at present [maybe not making them anymore]..

possible. You can see a comprehensive review of Indian hooded pens af this link.

http://www.fountainp...-pens-in-india/

Looks like Jai's Ratnamson 21 had a hero nib, so Binod I stand corrected, they do have versions where they have used the hero nib.

Best
Hari

#11 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 04:30

possible. You can see a comprehensive review of Indian hooded pens af this link.

http://www.fountainp...-pens-in-india/

Looks like Jai's Ratnamson 21 had a hero nib, so Binod I stand corrected, they do have versions where they have used the hero nib.

Best
Hari

Hari, I always take your word on fountain pens as gospel truth :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hood, hooded, ratnam, ratnamson, ratnam son

Sponsored Content

|