Subversive Inks- For When You Want To Break The Blue/black Chains.

Flaxmoore

At work, the only ink options I have are blue, black, and blue-black. Problem is, I'm getting tired of eternally the same color family.

I need a subversive ink. Something that passes for black, blue, or blue-black, but has enough of something else involved to make it at least a little interesting.

I've been looking at Noodler's Zhivago as a green-black, and it appears dark enough no one should be the wiser.

What inks do you use to subvert expectations?

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Flaxmoore

• Karmachanic

• GreenMountain

+1 on the Zhivago. Really great ink and just different enough enough to make you feel like a rebel. Another Noodler's option is Proctor's Ledge, a very dark brown black. If you feel that might work, you can check out Sailor Doyou, deAtramentis Cement or Anthracite. These are just the ones off the top of my head. It really might save you some steps if you would check out Goulet Pens ink comparison tool on their website. With their vast stockpile of ink swatches you could compare 4 ink s at one time and then be able make a better guess at what would be suitable. You made need to be cautious because what looks real dark on one paper through one pen could be something different in other circumstances.

KWZ Walk Over Vistula, or Blatic Memories

to add. KWZ Rotten Green could also slide in under the radar.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Green black, black with red sheen, any number of teals. Teal was the first non traditional ink I used at work and no one said a word. Good luck and enjoy the journey!😀

Noodler's El Lawrence. Dark enough that my old bank didn't blink an eye when I used it on checks (the color is more like used motor oil). That one is the HEIGHT of "subversive".

Also, if you can put up with it's naughty behavior (it is really bad for clogging and nib creep), Noodler's Kung Te Cheng. The bank never made a fuss about it either.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi,

yes, green blacks are an alternative.

I like Diamine Green/Black and, more subtle / less saturated, R. Oster Grün-Schwarz.

Best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Browns that are dark enough to pass for black are a favourite of mine: Do-You and Yama-Guri.

Birmingham Inks Frank Gorshin Riddle Green is a great name for a subversive ink and is a very dark green that passes for black.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Noodler's Proctor's Ledge. It seems back, but it's not. And it shows up under black light. OH, and how it washes. I use it to doodle trees.

Bung Box, Ink of the Witch

Stipula IG Red

Private Reserve Ebony Purple

Monteverde Jade Noir

Sailor Deep Purple Black

Robert Oster Dark Chocolate

De Atramentis Black Edition Red

KWZI FoggyGreen

Noodler's Nightshade

Montblanc Seasons Greetings

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Dark Green , Classic Brown / Sepia , even Dark Purple work well , Dark Teal would be fine and while black might be boring , Grey definitely is not it's so varied

Edited by Mech-for-i

I like the iron gall inks (others mentioned kwz). Write blue, wait a sec, now it's black. I also use other colors but I have yet to tire of Registrar's ink.

But to be subversive, submit everything using Baystate blue.

Eclipse !

+1

Also +1 on Zhivago.

Maybe a more hardcore blue/black? I love how dark Diamine 1864 BB is, and KWZ IG blue black as well. KWZ Warsaw Dreaming is real hardcore, you really need to squint hard to see the blue part. Same with R&K Leipziger Schwarz or Robert Oster Thunderstorm. Diamine Chopin is a lovely melancholy grey-blue-black.

Colorverse Vortex Motion is a black with a purple side, and has a stunning green sheen on the right paper.

Sailor Doyou is a very, very, very dark brown.

On the green side: Iroshizuku Hoteison, Robert Oster Grun Schwarz, Sailor Miruai.

Another +1 for Zhivago, the first ink I used at work that wasn’t blue, black, or blue-black.

For a while, I used Diamine Night Sky, black ink with silver shimmer. It doesn’t have a ton of shimmer, so it’s pretty subtle. Used mostly for notes, just to make myself happy.

As already suggested: certain dark purples might work. Or a violet-black like Robert Oster’s Black-Violet. Or perhaps a “blurple.”

Perhaps a teal-leaning blue-black, such as Noodler’s Blue-Black.

And the there’s Diamine Graphite, a dark grey-green. Or Diamine Earl Grey.

I would love to hear whatever you decide to try!

Blue-blacks are basically my lifeblood as is. In the rotation already is Pilot BB, Noodler's Ellis, 54th, Diamine Registrar, and KWZ IG BB.

What I'm seeking is one that will pass as black/blue-black on casual inspection, but has that little bit of subversion in its soul- why I was looking at Zhivago.

+1

Also +1 on Zhivago.

Maybe a more hardcore blue/black? I love how dark Diamine 1864 BB is, and KWZ IG blue black as well. KWZ Warsaw Dreaming is real hardcore, you really need to squint hard to see the blue part. Same with R&K Leipziger Schwarz or Robert Oster Thunderstorm. Diamine Chopin is a lovely melancholy grey-blue-black.

Colorverse Vortex Motion is a black with a purple side, and has a stunning green sheen on the right paper.

Sailor Doyou is a very, very, very dark brown.

On the green side: Iroshizuku Hoteison, Robert Oster Grun Schwarz, Sailor Miruai.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

Thinking more, how about a halo ink? I think there is a blue that dries with a red border. Blue nose bear dries with a blue border, but is no very paper friendly.