Visconti Is Introducing New Homo Sapiens Lava Color Pen

Intensity

I agreebronze and steel trim versions would have been better. Anodized aluminum could be okay, but I dont think its that, given how glossy the finish is.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• sansenri

• silverlifter

• Storch

My question on the new ones is if the pen body "feels" the same as the original. What keeps my original Homo Sapien in the rotation is the "feel" of the pen being so-o-o different (Cool on hot days and warm on cold days). I can't really explain it in words but I love the feel :)

Edited by RogerRamjet

My question on the new ones is if the pen body "feels" the same as the original. What keeps my original Homo Sapien in the rotation is the "feel" of the pen being so-o-o different (Cool on hot days and warm on cold days). I can't really explain it in words but I love the feel :)

I was wondering the same after Emi on PenVenture said that the new models have a hydrophobic coating to prevent staining. I imagine that would involve some sort of sealant, which would also change the feel of the pen.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

If only they still had the Palladium nibs! Using my stub Pd nib today I couldn’t help but enjoy how it felt compared to the gold nibbed one I eventually returned.

Cheers,

N

That's curious. The promo text from the latest Instagram post states:

"visconti_italy

The Homo Sapiens Lava Color pen is the perfect union of Mount Etna basaltic lava and colored resin made following our secret formula. The pen's magnetic closure system makes opening and closing it effortless.

This new edition also has an anti-stain treatment that prevents ink from depositing on the pen during the refilling phase."

So my guess is it's resin (plastic) mixed with some dark gritty parts from lava rock for pebbled texture and appaearance. Not sure if the anti-stain treatment is just a surface treatment, like a sealant, that would wear out over time. Certainly user feedback will be great to follow. Not the same as the original Homo Sapiens models that are actual basantic lava rock, not plastic mixed with lava rock.

My personal favorite is the beige colored model.

Incorrect. The original HS is stabilized basalt. There's no way in hell they could make it from solid basalt, it's far, far too porous and brittle.

Stabilized stone is ground up powder mixed with an acrylic resin binder.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)