Visconti Is Introducing New Homo Sapiens Lava Color Pen

Intensity

Just saw this on Instagram, posted by Visconti_Italy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEUQ8P_KwLg/

T4rAWhy.jpg

tdtugo0.jpg

"We are proud to present Visconti's new creation: the Homo Sapiens Lava Color pen. This vibrant and colourful writing instrument is a re-interpretation of our iconic Homo Sapiens collection. An absolute must-have for colour and nature lovers.
The Homo Sapiens Lava Color is the first 2020 Visconti collection fitted with an entirely in-house produced 14kt gold nib."

The things I gathered from the comments so far:

- New magnetic closure for the cap, a departure from the previous Homo Sapiens models

- New nib.

I wish they didn't cost so much, because I do like these--didn't care for the twist lock mechanism of the original Homo Sapiens. But I don't care for the plating on the hardware--doesn't go with the rugged lava look and might not last well. I would have gone for some sandblasted steel look or oil rubbed bronze or something to that extent.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• sansenri

• silverlifter

• Storch

Hmm, interesting! I'm liking the middle one!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I prefer the twist-lock mechanism to magnetic closures, an attitude which I recognize may not be based on pure reasoning. And I agree that, of the three colors, the middle one is the most attractive, at least to me.

If this substance is hydroscopic (is that the right term for attracts moisture?) then wouldn't lighter colors, especially the white, tend to show whatever it absorbed from one's fingers, including ink? The current sort-of charcoal grey color seems to be able to hide such things pretty well.

Anyway, it is very interesting that they are now manufacturing their own gold nibs. I like the new design on them as well.

I’m not sure what to think. I like mine, with the twist lock. I have a Michelangelo with a loose magnet. Sometimes the cap goes on right. Sometimes the magnet is sitting on the nib.

Posted Image

My first reaction is to not like the removal of the twist safe cap. I think it is a brilliant system and a real defining characteristic of Visconti.

That said, after some consideration, my opinion on these is going to depend on MSRP. If the magnet closure is cheaper (doubtful) and the in-house nib manufacture can bring the price down, these might be interested. If the MSRP is the usual sky-high $650-750 for these, I think they are going to go over like a lead balloon and most people are going to wait and pick them up on the secondary market (likely with stains)for much less than that.

According to another Visconti Instagram post the pens have an anti-stain treatment that prevents ink stains.

Edited by MoriartyR

I like their look but don't love it. I have a Pineider with a magnetic cap. Meh. But note that there are no cap threads to annoy those annoyed by cap threads.

I am most curious about the in-house-made 14Kt nibs. Not $600 curious.

Eager to read user (not vendor) reviews.

I have several high-end Visconti pens. I like the ergonomics and the materials a lot. My main gripe is that I have had to have every nib (all stubs) customized - in some cases just to make them crisper and narrower, in others because of skipping too. I hope the QC is better for the new nibs.

David

According to another Visconti Instagram post the pens have an anti-stain treatment that prevents ink stains.

That's curious. The promo text from the latest Instagram post states:

"visconti_italy

The Homo Sapiens Lava Color pen is the perfect union of Mount Etna basaltic lava and colored resin made following our secret formula. The pen's magnetic closure system makes opening and closing it effortless.

This new edition also has an anti-stain treatment that prevents ink from depositing on the pen during the refilling phase."

So my guess is it's resin (plastic) mixed with some dark gritty parts from lava rock for pebbled texture and appaearance. Not sure if the anti-stain treatment is just a surface treatment, like a sealant, that would wear out over time. Certainly user feedback will be great to follow. Not the same as the original Homo Sapiens models that are actual basantic lava rock, not plastic mixed with lava rock.

My personal favorite is the beige colored model.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Im under the impression that the original Homo Sapiens was also lava powder mixed with resin.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Im under the impression that the original Homo Sapiens was also lava powder mixed with resin.

You are correct--I was selectively remembering web store wording, which is as follows:

(for example on gouletpens.com: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/visconti-homo-sapiens-fountain-pen-magma )

"Carved from pure basaltic lava from the Mount Etna volcano in Italy, and enriched with resin materials"

Really "carved from" is not the same thing as "injection molded combination of resin with inclusions". Although the black version could be actual porous lava rock filled in with liquid resin rather than resin with basantic lava particles.

On Visconti's own website, the description does say it is resin mixed with lava stone:

https://www.visconti.it/en/pens/homo-sapiens-lava-dark-age-collection/

"The combination of catalysed Mount Etna basaltic lava and resin is made according to our secret formula."

Still unsure if the two are the same material just different color. That is whether the original Dark Age Homo Sapiens uses the same pen body material as Lava Color.

Edited by Intensity

I dislike the sharpness of my Bronze Age hook mechanism, so I’m eager to see how this magnetic system works. That said, magnets are iffy in my experience. They released the “Homo Sapiens Evolution” a while back that was simply threaded. I would have been happy with that as it neutralizes my aforementioned concerns about both magnets and hook mechanisms.

The colors are just “ok” to me. (Can’t help but think of cookies ‘n’ cream, peanut butter and maybe cranberry or coffee bean :) )

Above all I’m a bit vexed as to why they didn’t give these things an ink window. They’ve just introduced two different styles in the Bronze Age with ink windows —why not these?

I kind of think these models will come ...and then they’ll go. An experiment. I consider $600+ a realistic expectation for the street price, which I think is far too high for myself and probably many people to take this gamble.

To end on a positive note, kudos to Visconti for continuing to try different things.

The magnetic closure can have some advantages over the twist lock.For me what is important is if the magnetic closure is strong enough when you have the pen in a shirt pocket or if they have the risk of the barrel getting lose.

Edited by jchch1950

Above all I’m a bit vexed as to why they didn’t give these things an ink window. They’ve just introduced two different styles in the Bronze Age with ink windows —why not these?

My guess would be that ink windows are more expensive to produce and the most recent ones probably were not as well-received as they would have hoped. They really seem to be spaghetti-testing design at this point with these releases representing dipping their little toe into color for the basaltic HS line.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on Instagram, posted by Visconti_Italy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEUQ8P_KwLg/

T4rAWhy.jpg

tdtugo0.jpg

"We are proud to present Visconti's new creation: the Homo Sapiens Lava Color pen. This vibrant and colourful writing instrument is a re-interpretation of our iconic Homo Sapiens collection. An absolute must-have for colour and nature lovers.

The Homo Sapiens Lava Color is the first 2020 Visconti collection fitted with an entirely in-house produced 14kt gold nib."

The things I gathered from the comments so far:

- New magnetic closure for the cap, a departure from the previous Homo Sapiens models

- New nib.

I wish they didn't cost so much, because I do like these--didn't care for the t

Costly? You can bet on it. I also bet the white, the most look after.

It's great fun to see how we have already pinpointed most of the doubts on this new pen :D

my two cents

I hope the lava body is similar to the Bronze/Steel just using a different colour bonding resin, as I think it's a great material for a pen.

I'm not unhappy about the twist lock mechanism not being there. It is a nice mechanism and I think it works well, but yes, I am one of those who tents to feel it under my fingers...

Actually the magnetic lock on a couple of Van Goghs I own, works very well so far in my experience, I actually like it (can't stop playing around with in when the pen is in my hands) and the idea of the smooth section is rather appealing.

The colours are not bad, I'm not too attracted by the white one but the brick red one looks rather neat and I can already feel the satisfying texture of the porous resin under my fingers...

I agree, the idea of not switching to metal section is relevant to many.

Why on earth those black coated rings?! had they been the same brushed gun metal colour of the clips on the beige and red one it would have been much better.

Eager to try the new nibs, I hope they stand the comparison with the current (Bock) nibs, So far I've been lucky not to get a dud Visconti nib, and I hope the nibs will not disappoint, otherwise the whole exercise of re-designing the HS might be wasted...

Price... not sure, Covid has not helped, I've seen prices (in general) rising quite a bit as a consequence ... if they are not trying to sell us a "cheaper HS at the same price as before" it may be worth trying.

Looking forward to reviews...

Edited by sansenri

My guess would be that ink windows are more expensive to produce and the most recent ones probably were not as well-received as they would have hoped. They really seem to be spaghetti-testing design at this point with these releases representing dipping their little toe into color for the basaltic HS line.

I think you're right, did any of you really like that capsule window on one recent HS and that large "Stipula Vedo type" of window on the other HS?

We were all hoping they'd make a small ring window (Delta Dolce Vita like) on the upper part of the barrel...

(Sometimes I wonder why pen manufacturers don't run a poll on FPN before starting new design... :D )

Edited by sansenri

I have a general problem with lacquered metal (clips & rings), as the color layer gets scratched easily & will come off at some point.

Much prefer my HS Bronze Age & I have to say I`m super glad that they didn`t come up with an orange-red version with bronze furniture as I wouldn`t be able to afford it.

But think about it: Nicer colors with bronze trim :wub: