What If You Sent Invitations To Famous People You Didn’T Know?

DilettanteG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MBDostoevsky

• LizEF

• ParramattaPaul

• inkstainedruth

I found this crazy article by a guy who invited celebrities he didn’t know to his wedding. I enjoyed the response letters declining for the stationary alone:

https://www.boredpanda.com/celebrities-wedding-invitations/

I hope you guys like it, too.

Wow... I am bowled out...

I read all of them... and not a bad idea so to speak... at least its a one in a lifetime attempt.... good share! :thumbup:

The thing that struck me most in the replies was the wide disparity between the very gracious and the rather curt. The world could use more gracious, even if it's formulaic.

The thing that struck me most in the replies was the wide disparity between the very gracious and the rather curt. The world could use more gracious, even if it's formulaic.

Sad but True!

The message is the same in all... but its the sugar coating that helps you swallow it without any hard feelings

Sad but True!

The message is the same in all... but its the sugar coating that helps you swallow it without any hard feelings

Or even swallow it with a smile. I once watched a daytime talk-show interview with Julie Andrews (because it was Julie Andrews - otherwise, I hate those things), and could not believe just how cultured and gracious she was - it was downright inspiring. These days it seems like so many are in a contest to see who can be the most vulgar and uncivilized.

Or even swallow it with a smile. I once watched a daytime talk-show interview with Julie Andrews (because it was Julie Andrews - otherwise, I hate those things), and could not believe just how cultured and gracious she was - it was downright inspiring. These days it seems like so many are in a contest to see who can be the most vulgar and uncivilized.

But of late there have been stories (not sure if they are true or not) about celebrities being castigated as rude, ill mannered and bad-tempered by their staff and colleagues (e.g. Ellen DeGeneres).... outwardly they seem extremely courteous and calm...

Makes me think that animals are more honest than humans... at least they show what their intention is :-)

But of late there have been stories (not sure if they are true or not) about celebrities being castigated as rude, ill mannered and bad-tempered by their staff and colleagues (e.g. Ellen DeGeneres).... outwardly they seem extremely courteous and calm...

Makes me think that animals are more honest than humans... at least they show what their intention is :-)

True enough. Somehow, I doubt Julie Andrews was acting for that interview (though I could be wrong). She was from a different age, when courtesy was deliberately trained.

Still, lest we forget, I think the vast majority of us humans are still good and kind people - it's just that the bad ones are so obvious! And, in my experience, fountain pen people are some of the best! :)

I sort of glossed over the responses, other than seeing who had answered (okay, Nelson Mandela would have been cool -- because Nelson Mandela...). Because I was alternating between thinking "What chutzpah!" and thinking "OMG -- What if any of those people had said yes? Because it wouldn't be just them -- it would ALSO be security details, assistants, ladies-in-waiting.... And all those invited celebrities would NOT have been paying for their own airfare/accomadations.

Heck -- I didn't even invite some of my own *cousins* (they hadn't bothered to answer when my parents invited them to my brother's wedding, so I said "Screw them!"); I kept telling my husband that he *should* be inviting his boss, even if his boss didn't accept -- because it was his BOSS. I had enough trouble trying to pry a list of who on his side of the family should be invited from his mother. AND ended kicking my brother's wife (who should have been my matron of honor) out of the wedding because she wouldn't cooperate with dress shopping; so HER family boycotted (boohoo -- like anyone would have missed them). So I ended having about 80 people out of 100 invites. Which was PLENTY because my parents were paying.

We did feel a little bad about all the people who asked the DJ for his business card, though -- not realizing that we had provided him with the tapes to play during dinner, and the music for our lead-off dance (just to be different, and because I hate most "traditional" wedding and reception music, our lead-off dance was the Earl of Salisbury's Pavan... because we *could* B); my processional was an arrangement of the old ballad, "Willie of Winsbury" and the recessional was Paul Stookey's "The Wedding Song" because my husband really likes it.

We didn't have limos, we didn't have a professional photographer (we asked a guy my dad was friends with, after my dad got asked to photograph *his* daughter's wedding) and we didn't have it videotaped. Now if bubble machines had been the fad back then, I *definitely* would have wanted bubbles :D; we had people throw birdseed instead of rice because the minister didn't want us throwing rice in the churchyard, and the altar flowers got left there for church service the next morning. And I'm sure that my brother's (now ex-) wife would have been APPALLED by the lack of limos (she had a hissy fit at their wedding because she thought she'd have to go to the church in a black limo -- the white one hadn't pulled up yet).

My mother was already sort of freaking over the size of the wedding as is -- when my parents got married, they had 20 people, including the minister and his wife. My mother wore a blue velvet cocktail dress because she didn't want to have to wait six months for a short formal gown. My dad didn't even wear a tux. My uncle, who gave my mom away, packed during a hurricane coming up the Eastern Seaboard and hadn't packed all of his new suit in the dark, so wore his old suit. All this "I have to have the biggest fanciest most ostentatious wedding EVAH?" Just BS, IMO....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I found this crazy article by a guy who invited celebrities he didnt know to his wedding. I enjoyed the response letters declining for the stationary alone:

https://www.boredpanda.com/celebrities-wedding-invitations/

I hope you guys like it, too.

I used to write to people like that...but I never thought of wedding invitations!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

True enough. Somehow, I doubt Julie Andrews was acting for that interview (though I could be wrong). She was from a different age, when courtesy was deliberately trained.

Still, lest we forget, I think the vast majority of us humans are still good and kind people - it's just that the bad ones are so obvious! And, in my experience, fountain pen people are some of the best! :)

Every day I greet people from all walks of life in hallways where I work, and about half have no response whatsoever. Most of these are people who don't know me, and initially I was puzzled at their perceived aloofness/hostility/rudeness. Eventually, however, I realized that many probably had very limited social skills, probably for all kinds of reasons. One can only imagine the detrimental impact lack of social skills has on societies all over the globe, particularly in how it affects perceptions of respect for one another. Curiously, the often misanthropic Jonathan Swift had something important to say about this.

“Good manners is the art of making people comfortable. Whoever makes the fewest people uncomfortable has the best manners.”― Jonathan Swift

Edited by Herrjaeger

Swift/Gulliver, again!

Interestin' diversion. {Freakin'HappyFaceTimeThingie}

...old Major, had had a strange dream on the previous night...

Animal Farm.......George Orwell

Fred

Every day I greet people from all walks of life in hallways where I work, and about half have no response whatsoever. Most of these are people who don't know me, and initially I was puzzled at their perceived aloofness/hostility/rudeness. Eventually, however, I realized that many probably had very limited social skills, probably for all kinds of reasons. One can only imagine the detrimental impact lack of social skills has on societies all over the globe, particularly in how it affects perceptions of respect for one another. Curiously, the often misanthropic Jonathan Swift had something important to say about this.

“Good manners is the art of making people comfortable. Whoever makes the fewest people uncomfortable has the best manners.”― Jonathan Swift

:thumbup:

Excellent comment. I'm sure when I was a child and teenager, I scoffed at any and all attempts to teach socialization skills. Now I've done a 180 and think that "finishing schools" should be a universal thing - only for everyone, not just young women.

:thumbup:

Now I've done a 180 and think that "finishing schools" should be a universal thing - only for everyone, not just young women.

Ditto... time to groom people.... not to educate them.... :lol:

This topic reminded me of my attempt to get hired 40 years ago by sending resumes to every pharmaceutical company listed in the PDR. When the letters started coming in that the companies had no openings suitable for my experiences and education, it was heart breaking. Of course today everything is done indirectly and online. The standard reply now days is, "after reviewing your information a decision has been made to consider other candidates whose background better matches our needs".

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I was fortunate to have had a godmother who took the time and made the effort to teach me to be a gentleman. From her, I learned all the social graces and proper etiquette.

Interestingly, I read some years ago that research into human behaviour tells us that we form a first opinion of someone we meet in the first five seconds. This obviously means that how we speak, dress, and act influences the perception of who we are.

This topic reminded me of my attempt to get hired 40 years ago by sending resumes to every pharmaceutical company listed in the PDR. When the letters started coming in that the companies had no openings suitable for my experiences and education, it was heart breaking. Of course today everything is done indirectly and online. The standard reply now days is, "after reviewing your information a decision has been made to consider other candidates whose background better matches our needs".

The hurtful thing these days with the online system is that you get the rejection very soon.... they just quash your hopes quickly.... i would rather spend a week or so in anticipation of snail mail ... spend some time hoping and expecting... having time to dream...

Its been 19 months since I am out of employment... everyday I apply to around 5-7 jobs at least.... no rejection no reply received from any.... :D Its difficult to raise a family on your eroding savings..... :unsure:

I was fortunate to have had a godmother who took the time and made the effort to teach me to be a gentleman. From her, I learned all the social graces and proper etiquette.

Interestingly, I read some years ago that research into human behaviour tells us that we form a first opinion of someone we meet in the first five seconds. This obviously means that how we speak, dress, and act influences the perception of who we are.

My grandmother taught me the same... however it was all undone when i was taught cut throat competition and other ideologies at business school...

Ditto... time to groom people.... not to educate them.... :lol:

How to be polite and civilized is a form of education.

How to be polite and civilized is a form of education.

Yes... More of a finishing school than a Bachelors or Masters