The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Custom Nib

custom nib nibmeister

5 replies to this topic

#1 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 23:41

Who would you recommend for nib customization ? Required would be stacking gold nibs, gridding and retipping them ?

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:58

http://www.fountainp...ib-experiments/

You supply the gold nibs, and I'm certain @Honeybadgers will be happy to give it a go (for a price for his time and effort); and then a professional nibmeister such as Mike Masuyama or Dan Smith — (only) if you aren't happy with the details of the result of @Honeybadger's attempt — can fix it to your specifications.

Or you can just hunt for a used Naginata King Eagle or some such in the market, then send it to a professional nibmeister if you desire further customisation.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#3 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 06:04

Pen Sloth is another person experimenting with stacking nibs. I don't think Ralph at Regalia works on other people's nibs, but I could be wrong.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#4 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

there is no spoon.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:07

https://www.montywinnfield.com/

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#5 Muchsharpernow

Muchsharpernow

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 15:12

Jim, otherwise known as PenSloth, here.

I won't touch gold nibs. Stacking is my specialty, and I can re-tip. However, my supply of tipping material is very low and it is much more difficult to get now.

Jim Crawford/PenSloth

#6 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 22:17

After using the fine services of two well known nib-techs (John Mottishaw & Mike Masuyama) in the past, I finally settled on Pendleton Brown's nib modifications. 

I've loved to write with every single Butter-Line-Stub he has ever ground for me.  The most recent was the stubbing of a Sailor 14c H-B nib.  What I received from Pendleton was an approximate 0.4 mm. BLS nib, the narrowest stub I own. 

He has worked on two #6 size 18c JoWo nibs in the past & four Kaweco 14c BB, B & M nibs.  Excellent communication & at least in my experience, a fast enough work queue.  Highly recommended.  Fees are competative.  (no affiliation). 

Edited by tinta, 21 August 2020 - 22:26.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14c.,-0.6 mm BLS, (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "M" -0.4 mm.BLS, (PB)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, nib, nibmeister

Sponsored Content

|