Sailor Specialty Nib History

The-Thinker

Is anyone aware when did sailor start making specialty nibs ? And did they introduce the whole lineup of nibs or did they do it gradually ? References are always a plus !

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• zaddick

• Omaslover

• desgabets

They evolved over time to include more options. There was also the ability to order special nib customizations such as the 4-layer Eagle nib (vs. normal 3). They specialty nibs must have started in the 1960s. Probably what most woud consider the larger production common era woud have started in the 1980s.

I found this blog post rather interesting as it compares the styles of grinds between the elder and youngher Nagahara in Yokio's own words: https://www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/brushing-sailor-nibs

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

As long as there is a topic about Sailor's special nibs, what are people's favorite special nibs? I have to say I am partial to the Cross Point and Cross Music, but the Cross Music narrowly wins as my favorite. And I think Naginata Togi's are great fun nibs for everyday writing, although not quite as "special" as the Cross or Fude/Concord nibs.

I have a King Eagle nib that is a hoot to use.

When did you purchase it ? Do you think sailor will reintroduce it, or is it too far fetched ?

Cross Music and Cross Concorde are my favorites.

Do you have an idea if a cross point on a kop writes broader than that of a large profit cross nib?

Do you have an idea if a cross point on a kop writes broader than that of a large profit cross nib?

Depends on the nib, but they are similar in my limited number of samples (2 KOP and 3 standard).

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Depends on the nib, but they are similar in my limited number of samples (2 KOP and 3 standard).

Its amazing how you have come across collecting the specialty nibs ! When did you get your first cross or king eagle ? Btw how does the cross point compare to the pelikan 3b ?

Ps: i noticed your instagram account dmed you !

There was some banter on the internet fifteen to twenty years ago about some pens in the 1960s being 'tweaked' by Mr. Nagahara. Much of this came from efforts to peddle older Sailor pens on eBay. If you come across this, ignore it.

The earliest I've seen anything in the media was about twenty years ago. It was a video from Sailor showing some pens with specially designed nibs made for an artist. I might still have a copy. It was on VHS.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

There was some banter on the internet fifteen to twenty years ago about some pens in the 1960s being 'tweaked' by Mr. Nagahara. Much of this came from efforts to peddle older Sailor pens on eBay. If you come across this, ignore it.

The earliest I've seen anything in the media was about twenty years ago. It was a video from Sailor showing some pens with specially designed nibs made for an artist. I might still have a copy. It was on VHS.

wow that is amazing! i would like to know the details and the history, since it is not specifically written on the Sailor website (both the english and Japanese)

I`ve seen pictures of vintage 30ies era japanese pens with steel nibs which seemed very similiar to Cross Point & Cross Music nibs, the way they were cut.

Half a decade ago I`ve been very lucky in acquiring Sailor pens with a Cross Point, a Fude DeMannen, Togi F/M and Cross Music Emperor from the electro bay at, seen from today`s perspective, ludicrously low prices. I still love them all & have most of them inked up.

My personal favourite is the Fude De Mannen. The Cross Music feels quite hard & might have the biggest line variation. The almost identical looking Cross Point on the other hand has less line variation, but has a Visconti Dreamtouch feeling. I feel the Emperor thingy is bogus, but gives an unorthodox, if not super vintage look, if I think of ancient eyedropper pens with an overfeed.