Family Photos Of Your Flock - Please Add Yours!

mana

Hello.

Here is my flock of 100 families.

Pelikan fountain pen

Rappen

IBIS

111T

100"demonstrator"

Can you tell the clip of Pelikan fountain pen is different from other 100 families?

Toledo.. :yikes: Thank you for sharing. It's great to see first year pelikans in "heavy metal" company :)

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stoen

• tacitus

• carola

• N1003U

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

business suits...

fpn_1576192821__four_pelikan_stresemann_

Lovely Stresemanns. The lighting you used captures the wonderful (and usually subtile) chatoyance these pens exhibit when the light is just right. I thought the Stresemann was really boring at first, but as I have come to first appreciate and then really enjoy them, I am slowly adding all of the available sizes to my flock...

My flock.

M620s.jpg

M620's ... Oops! My Green 'O Green photobombed!

Well, let's say it's standing in for my M620 "Athens" that I gifted to my Greek DIL for her birthday a few years ago.

M6XXs.jpg

Other M6XX's, including one with a custom binde in "Amideo" resin.

M8XXs.jpg

M8XX'S, including a couple with custom bindes.

Pelikan misc.jpg

Miscellaneous Pelikans, including my first one - a M200.

David

What's the lovely blue one second in from the right in the second picture?

That pen started life as a black M600. Shawn Newton fitted it with a new binde using a material called "Amideo." It is the same material Montegrappa used in their "Modigliani" limited edition Limited Edition. That was priced north of $6K! More recently, both Leonardo Officina Italiana and Santini Italia have made pens with the same or indistinguishably similar material. I agree that it's lovely.

David

Wow... and yes, the clip, it seems to be a bit concave at the top?

Yes.

IMO, that's why it is difficult to find or restore first year pen in genuine form together with heat-holed nib.

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

PAKMAN, on 21 Aug 2020 - 22:35, said:snapback.png

My humble flock

Your flock is very well constructed!. Can I ask- first two pens from the left..its custom made barrels? Beautiful finish.

Thanks!

The first two pens are an M1000 and an M800 both with custom bindes from Shawn Newton in Blue Lizzard.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My flock of Pelikan 100 families tells us how Pelikan painstakingly elected to change material and style, and later was forced to do so in war time.

SY8tpII.jpg1QQ1wDp.jpg

1929 ebonite cap with "Pelikan PATENT" logo, 2 cap holes, heart hole nib, bakelite section and barrel, ebonite knob

1930 2 cap rings in line with the introduction of 111, narrow clip, 4 cap holes, round hole nib

1931 conical cap top, short nib socket, celluloid barrel and ebonite section, diagonal frontal seal of section

1933 2 cap holes, conical frontal seal of section, more curved grip section, reinforced barrel with metal ring

​1935 in-house nib inscribed with Pelikan 585 14Karat

1938 celluloid cap without holes, new cap top logo with 2 chicks, Pd nib

1940? celluloid cap with "Pelikan Günter Wagner" logo, acrylic section, barrel and knob

1942 cap without ring, CN nib

Edited by tacitus

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

My flock.

David

Really beautiful collection.

One thing that stands out though: no standard Souverän blue stripes (neither Mx00 nor Mx05). Was this an intentional omission?

Looking at these collections I feel so inadequate. Also also really really poor -- I've seen prices on stuff like some of the M620s and (even worse) some 100s, and had severe cases of sticker shock. :o Even that grey and pink one on the previous page (M200?) was beyond my reach.

Sigh.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

PAKMAN, on 21 Aug 2020 - 22:35, said:snapback.png

Thanks!

The first two pens are an M1000 and an M800 both with custom bindes from Shawn Newton in Blue Lizzard.

Could one assume from your flock photos that you would jump on an M10xx in blue stripes, if it came along? There seems to be a blue stripe in every other size in the flock...

(which I contrast with dms525's flock, another lovely collection, among which blue stripes are conspicuously absent)

Could one assume from your flock photos that you would jump on an M10xx in blue stripes, if it came along? There seems to be a blue stripe in every other size in the flock...

(which I contrast with dms525's flock, another lovely collection, among which blue stripes are conspicuously absent)

Yes!!! A million times yes! I've dreamed of a blue stripe M1000 forever!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

This is a tiny west-central European population that can typically be observed roosting in coffee shops, libraries, and offices in the Upper Rhine Basin and southern Black Forest, in the vicinity of Freiburg in Breisgau.

Occasionally, individual specimens out of this population have been sighted foraging in the wild as far east as middle Burgenland in Austria and as far west as the Portuguese coast. Very rarely, they will cross the Alps into northern Italy, where they occasionally enjoy feeding along Lake Garda and eastward into parts of Veneto.

An interesting behavior in this particular population is that some of its members are known to migrate at irregular intervals all the way across the Atlantic to the Delaware Valley in southeastern Pennsylvania, where they interact with a similar population.

How exactly this migration takes place is fascinating. The Pelikans will spontaneously assemble in Frankfurt or Munich, and then, amazingly, wrap themselves in a protective covering, and allow themselves to be swallowed by a giant crane, which then flies them across the Atlantic. This giant crane will then spit the little Pelikans back out, unharmed (typically in Philadelphia, though occasionally also in Newark or Washington DC), and they eventually join up with the local Pelikan population. A similar migration is also sometimes observed in the opposite direction, from the Delaware Valley to the Upper Rhine Basin. Biologists are not sure exactly of the reasons for this migratory behavior, but it is conjectured to perhaps have something to do with maintenance of genetic diversity within the species.

fpn_1598281889__flock_eu.jpeg

My flock of Pelikan 100 families tells us how Pelikan painstakingly elected to change material and style, and later was forced to do so in war time.

Great collection Tacticus!

Edited by christof

This is a tiny west-central European population that can typically be observed roosting in coffee shops, libraries, and offices in the Upper Rhine Basin and southern Black Forest, in the vicinity of Freiburg in Breisgau.

Occasionally, individual specimens out of this population have been sighted foraging in the wild as far east as middle Burgenland in Austria and as far west as the Portuguese coast. Very rarely, they will cross the Alps into northern Italy, where they occasionally enjoy feeding along Lake Garda and eastward into parts of Veneto.

An interesting behavior in this particular population is that some of its members are known to migrate at irregular intervals all the way across the Atlantic to the Delaware Valley in southeastern Pennsylvania, where they interact with a similar population.

How exactly this migration takes place is fascinating. The Pelikans will spontaneously assemble in Frankfurt or Munich, and then, amazingly, wrap themselves in a protective covering, and allow themselves to be swallowed by a giant crane, which then flies them across the Atlantic. This giant crane will then spit the little Pelikans back out, unharmed (typically in Philadelphia, though occasionally also in Newark or Washington DC), and they eventually join up with the local Pelikan population. A similar migration is also sometimes observed in the opposite direction, from the Delaware Valley to the Upper Rhine Basin. Biologists are not sure exactly of the reasons for this migratory behavior, but it is conjectured to perhaps have something to do with maintenance of genetic diversity within the species.

fpn_1598281889__flock_eu.jpeg

Love the story! :thumbup: :D

Really beautiful collection.

One thing that stands out though: no standard Souverän blue stripes (neither Mx00 nor Mx05). Was this an intentional omission?

It's not because I dislike the blue striped Pelikan's. You may note that I do have a lot of blue ones in other materials. But I am not a "completionist," so I prefered to collect pens I preferred to the stripey one.

It's not because I dislike the blue striped Pelikan's. You may note that I do have a lot of blue ones in other materials. But I am not a "completionist," so I prefered to collect pens I preferred to the stripey one.

:thumbup: Thanks.

I did note the other blues, but I saw all of the other regular production striped colors in the flock, so I wondered if there was a reason.

I only have one regular production blue stripe myself, an M400, and I use it only infrequently. Now the turquoise-white M600, that's another story...

Indeed, there is fascinating history in that collection!

Great collection Tacticus!

Thank you chriostof :D N1003U :D

Edited by tacitus