Noodler's Ink In 16 Ounce Bottles

bugsydog55

I'm still trying to get through these. I use a small funnel to transfer to a standard size bottle (yes, there's a little bit of dripping, so I hold a paper towel around the neck and pour over the laundry tub).

IMG_20200902_192329978_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• bugsydog55

• NumberSix

• amberleadavis

@bsenn, I didn't realise Sheaffer also used #232 to designate its blue-black ink product, and most likely before Hero did. I wonder which other manufacturers use #232 for their blue-black ink?

I am hoping the wide short bottle will make it stable while pouring - and the wide top should make "aiming" the pour easier.

Getting through such a big bottle could be facilitated by propping it diagonally between very sturdy objects to tilt the liquid level toward the mouth and use a clean plastic syringe to decant into empty glass bottles.

I find this cheap plastic toothbrush stand I bought from Daiso immensely useful in my handling of pens and inks. Either the 100ml bottle in which Diamine Registrar's ink comes or the 3 fl.oz. bottles that Noodler's Ink uses will fit inside the square hole. The 100ml glass beaker, which I also got from Daiso, does not fit but the smaller 50ml beaker in the same series will — not that it really needs any help to stand stable — and provides the wide mouth into which to pour a suitable amount from a large bottle of ink, and then slowly pouring from the beaker into a bottle with a much smaller mouth should not be too tricky to do without spillage.

fpn_1599269155__daiso_toothbrush_holder_fpn_1599269181__using_a_beaker_to_fill_a

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 weeks later...

That issue of pouring out is why I ordered empty 60ml Private Reserve bottles for each of the 16oz I ordered from Vanness (Bulletproof Black, 54th Mass). I even had them engrave the ink name on the bottles.

They're all scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I am hoping the wide short bottle will make it stable while pouring - and the wide top should make "aiming" the pour easier.

We shall see. . .

160787214_empty-bottle_e8e8a06e-1ffc-48d

By the way, this Private Reserve bottle was perfect for this purpose. I poured straight from the Noodler's 16oz, twisting at the end of the pour (Like with a wine bottle). Didn't spill a drop. And now I have nice manageable bottles of Black and 54th MA that will be easy to top off sometime down the road.

Decanting ink out of monster bottles is a real problem. the whole idea of 16oz. bottles of any Noodler's ink is not for the faint of heart. The PR bottles would be perfect and being new is great. I had a couple but they contained incredibly colorful golfballs of goo and I really didn't need to go through that serious a sterilization process. For my purposes, I have some old Crescent Ink bottles that are perfect in size and I use a syringe to move ink. Works well until I get a little nervous.

• 2 weeks later...

how hard is it to use a syringe? they aren't expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Syringes-Plastic-Hydroponic-Measurement-Decoration/dp/B07SQC95DT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=syringe+with+flexible+tube&qid=1602017017&sr=8-4

$7 and it will fill nearly any ink bottle on a single draw.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

As I have gotten a bit older, a combination of arthritis and fibro can give me a bit of instability in fine motor skills and a bit of tremors. I can't tell how hard or softly I am grabbing things or holding things so it is a little more challenging than it used to be. I've worn out several syringes and know the routine. Keep them lubricated because, for me, even the slightest bit of stickiness could end up with an inkcident. So rather than take a chance of pouring, in my case that would be a video of things not to do, I just have to have a little more space and handy paper towels to get the job done. It's worth the effort and in between getting frustrated its actually enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.com/Syringes-Plastic-Hydroponic-Measurement-Decoration/dp/B07SQC95DT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=syringe+with+flexible+tube&qid=1602017017&sr=8-4

Oh, great! Something else I'm going to start thinking about getting now ;) .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Wow -- I could really have used one of those (and not that much more expensive than the turkey baster had been, as I recall) on those two vintage ink bottles. I had no idea such things existed. I wonder if the tubing is similar to what's used in homebrewing, which has a cap on the end with small holes above the end (you want to get the liquid out of the kettle but not all the solids -- the mashed up barley and the hops and such).

Of course that type of syphoning system has much longer -- and larger diameter -- tubes.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."