The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jacques Herbin - Vert Atlantide, The 350Th Anniversary Shimmer Ink

jacques herbinvert atlantide ink shimmer #vertatlantide atlantis green

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 20:04

No panic, but if the ink is not going to be sufficiently shimmering, then I'm not going to bother and not going to waste my money on just another green ink.

In that case you should get a specimen before you buy a whole bottle. Internet pics are not that reliable.

Sponsored Content

#22 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,174 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 21:33

So far the only shimmer ink I’ve used where the glittery bits are always obvious is Diamine Lilac Satin.

-------------------------

Have you ever tried any of the De Atramentis shimmer inks?  A colleague gave me a bottle of De A Brilliant Violet with Copper, and it is positively gaudy with glitter.  

#23 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 22:36

Not yet!  I've only tried 3 Herbin shimmer inks and 2 Diamine so far.  Both of the Diamine shimmer inks had more obvious shimmer (Enchanted Ocean and Lilac Satin; Lilac Satin has the most obvious shimmer, perhaps because it's light and the shimmer is silver).

Edited by Intensity, 28 September 2020 - 22:37.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#24 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2020 - 22:32

Found this photograph in a Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.c...vert_atlantide/

And also this close-up of a splash:

https://www.piorawie...#comment-192332

Edited by Intensity, 02 October 2020 - 23:00.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#25 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2020 - 00:45

@Intensity  Thanks.

And also this close-up of a splash:
https://www.piorawieczneforum.pl/topic/13292-będzie-nowy-herbin-z-drobinkami-herbin-vert-atlantide/?tab=comments#comment-192332

That entry was from 25 June, so I'm guessing it was Jacques Herbin's marketing image, and possibly computer-generated or photoshopped. If the gold and silver particles really look that fine under a loupe or other magnifying optical instrument, then I think the ink's actual appearance would be akin to evenly blended metallic paint. Whereas the shimmer particles in my bottle of Émeraude de Chivor are relatively large, and liable to get trapped in the nib slit and/or above the nib tipping if the tine gap is too tight.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#26 peroride

peroride

Write now, enjoy pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:16

The Pen Outpost gets a scoop or rather swab

Shimmer is uh subtle... :rolleyes:

Maybe needs more shaky shakey and broader nib

Edited by peroride, 03 October 2020 - 06:16.

#27 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:15

Good find!  Yes, I think they should have given the bottle a much more thorough shake, as that shimmer settles to the bottom and takes a while to get re-mixed with the liquid.  Regardless, I think I like the hue of the ink.  I'd like to see some water resistance tests after the ink has been well dried, for normal writing.  Something realistic like droplets of water dabbed away with a paper towel.

#28 HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB

Vote! Vote! VOTE!

• Member - Gold

• 3,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2020 - 16:44

Just ordered a bottle from Vanness.  Will share a visual display when it arrives,  Stay tuned...   :)

#29 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:01

My bottle just arrived. It's pretty sparkly and a nice dark fir green color in my Pilot Parallel 6mm.  :thumbup:

Also, I shook like a mad woman before filling the converter, so that probably helped. As does the little ball bearing in the converter, which I give a good shake before I begin writing.

Edited to add:

fpn_1602728857__jacques_herbin_vert_attl

I don't think the photo really catches the sparkle as even the fine lines are sparkly on this junky white paper. The metallic particulate seems to be showing up as white dots in the green, but does look both gold and silver in person, depending on the angle and thickness. I really like it.

#30 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:07

Pretty pictures please!

#31 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• 1,455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:36

Pretty pictures please!

Your wish is my command. Picture added above.

#32 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:40

Ok that's really nice.  I think I'll be getting a bottle after all.

#33 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• 1,455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:57

Ok that's really nice.  I think I'll be getting a bottle after all.

Sorry, I'm obviously a bad influence.

#34 peroride

peroride

Write now, enjoy pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 19:41

Excellent! Thank you for the big wide parallel preview.

Reminds me Taccia's sabimidori with sparkles. 

I do like the subdued 350 years vintage look kinda like the Atlantic sea with gold pirate buried treasure.

The more you shake, the more you find!  :lol:

#35 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 21:53

I just got a sample of this a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to try it yet (I have too many pens in current rotation as it is at the moment).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#36 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• 1,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:59

Got my bottle some weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to test it either. But the amount of glitter on the ground of the bottle looks normal.

#37 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 23:27

I would love to see more pictures.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#38 HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB

Vote! Vote! VOTE!

• Member - Gold

• 3,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 20:45

At your service!  

fpn_1603140167__2da073c2-1a64-4abe-aeb6-

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacques herbinvert atlantide, ink, shimmer, #vertatlantide, atlantis green

Sponsored Content

|