Jacques Herbin - Vert Atlantide, The 350Th Anniversary Shimmer Ink

Intensity

Jacques Herbin Vert Atlantide / Atlantis Green

6cn3gofoa0751.jpg

JH-VertAtlantide-stock-2_800x.jpg?v=1596

Continuing on from this discussion on voting for the new 350th anniversary J. Herbin annivarsary here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/352545-vote-on-the-new-jacques-herbin-glitter-colour/

I'm compiling some of the few available writing and drawing samples made with this upcoming ink. This will be a limited edition ink.

The color appears to be a dark grayed green with both gold and silver shimmer.

Looks like on Instagram, you can search for #vertatlantide

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/vertatlantide/

There are a few posts showing actual writing and drawing samples made with this ink.

Here's Nick Stewart's page for this ink: https://nickstewart.ink/2020/07/03/j-herbin-350th-anniversary-ink-vert-atlantide/

On Twitter:

https://twitter.com/floatingcat_day/status/1268074480191934464?s=20

Please add what you find!

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• A Smug Dill

• DilettanteG

• Astronymus

But is it actually a limited edition ink, in that there's a predetermined number of bottles to be produced and that will be all? The opening post in the discussion thread to which you linked says,

From the Jacques Herbin site:

"To celebrate the 350th anniversary of Jacques Herbin’s original brand, we are letting the people who know us best, our fans, choose the new colour of our next anniversary ink. This will form part of the official Jacques Herbin collection.

That doesn't sound like it's intended to be a limited edition. I can't find any mention of either the survey or the product on the Jacques Herbin web site, in its current state, to confirm whether it will be limited.

The newsletter I just received from La Couronne du Comte does not say anything about it being limited either.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It will be interesting to see what this looks like up close. Some of the links suggest it's slightly blue leaning, but if it's more to the center of the spectrum (as opposed to Emeralds of Chivor) I could see myself at least trying it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

But is it actually a limited edition ink, in that there's a predetermined number of bottles to be produced and that will be all? The opening post in the discussion thread to which you linked says,

That doesn't sound like it's intended to be a limited edition. I can't find any mention of either the survey or the product on the Jacques Herbin web site, in its current state, to confirm whether it will be limited.

The newsletter I just received from La Couronne du Comte does not say anything about it being limited either.

Yes, it should be LE according to Jacques Herbin’s own PR

https://www.facebook.com/JacquesHerbinUK/

”It's the announcement you have been waiting for - over 1000 of our most loyal fans voted, and the results are in.

Following this, we, Jacques Herbin are proud to present our latest ink, Atlantis Green, or in French, Vert Atlantide.

This ink celebrates our grand 350th anniversary year, is strictly limited edition, and with its dark intense colour, is illuminated with silver and gold flakes.

Intended for both drawing and writing, this ink evokes the lush greenery, no doubt, present on Atlantis before its immersion. It will be a fine tribute to Jacques Herbin, a navigator whose legend tells of his interest in forgotten places such as Atlantis.”

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/JacquesHerbin/status/1275825936143921152

“We, Jacques Herbin, are proud to present our upcoming limited edition ink, Atlantis Green, or in French, 'Vert Atlantide'.”

Of course it could be Limited Edition with a large number of bottles produced to be available for a while to everyone. Like Pelikan Edelstein limited editions, as opposed to Lamy Petrol or Dark Lilac. It’s unclear at this time.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

@Intensity Thanks for the info. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are sites I don't visit unless I "absolutely" have to for a particular piece of information I already know is posted thereon.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I don’t ever visit the first two either, except when images posted there come up in google image search. I’ve found Instagram to be extremely useful for finding pictures of inks and pens, particularly when searching for keywords in the native languages of countries of origin of products. Like looking at Taiwanese inks by their Taiwanese brand name, Japanese pens and inks by their Japanese names, etc.

Its a shimmer ink like Kyanite du Nepal and Emerald of Chivor. The other links show shimmer photographs.

Thanks Intensity! Might end up being close to Vert Empire but with glitter? In which case... I'd rather have Vert Empire in a bigger bottle, which I enjoy in two pens for a lighter and darker hue... And less likely to clog.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I have used the Herbin glitter inks in Safaris and Al-Stars. No clogging, easy cleaning.

The one Herbin glitter ink I have is Amethyste de l'Oural, and it has so little glitter that I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any pen with a converter.

I left Améthyste de l'Oural in my occasionally used Aurora 88 Minerali piston-filled demonstrator for months on end, and it hasn't caused me any problems or grief with clogging. It was then thoroughly cleaned, and refilled with Cornaline d'Égypte months ago. No clogging with that either.

I love that these particular inks have shimmer particles in them on top of having a lovely base colour, with or without the manufacturer also offering the same ink colour as a different product. Having a choice between multiple options is always better than not having alternatives, but on the other hand I don't think it's utterly necessary. If I really like the colour, then the outcome on the page must in my mind take priority over the chore of pen maintenance and the 'risk' of staining or clogging a pen; and if I'm not prepared to deal with the hassle or take the risk, then it's quite clear to me I don't value getting that colour onto the page all that much.

I think I'll be getting a bottle of Vert Atlantide, even though my bottles of Émeraude de Chivor and Gris Orage rarely sees any use.

I've found Emerald of Chivor to be too green for my liking. Because teal inks tend to look much more blue on photographs that have not been color-corrected, I was under the impression that I would get a more blue-teal. I was disappointed with my bottle after I bought it, but not because of performance. However I like my Caroube de Chypre a lot, even though it turned out to be much more pink-red, without its green sheen and shimmer covering up those hues, with the result being a more neutral golden brown.

Been contemplating getting a full bottle of Kyanite du Nepal, as I've enjoyed using it from a sample vial and like its color range. Problem is that I tend to not use saturated, vibrant "clean color" inks with poor water resistance anymore. So I love the ink but will I actually be using it... Likely only very occasionally. The same fate will probably befall Vert Atlantide if I get a bottle.

My one pen that has trouble with all shimmer inks is a vintage Sheaffer Balance with a cursive italic nib, probably modified later by someone. It performs flawlessly with regular inks but hard starts with all Diamine and Herbin shimmer inks I've tried with it. The ink seems to dry on the feed--it's possible the cap doesn't seal well enough. But no problems with other pens.

Edited by Intensity

• 1 month later...

Just noticed this review:

https://lineatur.expert/herbin-350-vert-atlantide-tinte-des-monats/

The text is in German. Google Chrome usually auto-translates.

Just noticed this review:

Thanks for that. I was just contemplating whether to go ahead and order a bottle. Not much shimmer of either silver or gold, it seems.

Thanks for that. I was just contemplating whether to go ahead and order a bottle. Not much shimmer of either silver or gold, it seems.

Oh no! I like the color, but this shimmer ink seems pretty shimmer-free.

https://appelboom.com/jacques-herbin-350th-anniversary-vert-atlantide-ink-ink-bottle/

I wonder if it’s just the lighting and angle. And how well their bottle was shaken. My Caroube de Chypre can look like it has barely any shimmer, until I get some glancing light on the page, and the shimmer lights up. It was the same for Emerald of Chivor. I suspect for strong shimmer one needs a gusher of a pen. So far the only shimmer ink I’ve used where the glittery bits are always obvious is Diamine Lilac Satin.

The text states there are gold and silver particles present. Why the panic?

No panic, but if the ink is not going to be sufficiently shimmering, then I'm not going to bother and not going to waste my money on just another green ink.