The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inkshift - Pelikan Edelstein Topaz To Star Ruby

inkshift pelikan edelstein topaz star ruby

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 14:58

InkShift - Pelikan Edelstein Topaz to Star Ruby

Just for the fun of it, I decided to do a project exploring what happens when you move progressively from one ink colour to another. For now, I'm restricting myself to inks from the same manufacturer - mainly to avoid nasty chemical surprises. My hope is that some of these "inkshifts" result in interesting colours that I can use to write/draw with. And besides... it's just fun to watch one ink colour morph into another one. 

This particular combo is a follow-up to the Topaz-to-Ruby InkShift. I had a hunch that the more vibrant Star Ruby might result in more interesting purples. As far as I'm concerned that hunch turned out to be correct. This inkshift produced quite some interesting colours, even a few violets. This morphing project really is great fun... I am thoroughly amusing myself.

fpn_1597416491__inkshift_-_topaz_to_star
fpn_1597416508__inkshift_-_topaz_to_star

Below is a side by side with the Topaz-to-Ruby InkShift. What a difference a "star" makes  :)

fpn_1597416523__side-by-side_-_topaz-rub
fpn_1597416534__side-by-side_-_topaz-rub

Sponsored Content

#2 mhguda

mhguda

It's mostly the paper that gets me now...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 22:26

Thanks for this follow up. Indeed, the Star makes a huge difference. I like the resulting series much better!

It's evident you are enjoying the project. Keep it up, it makes fun perusing all the different possibilities of ink mixing.

Even if one does not have any of the ingredient inks, just the idea and all the different shades of ink are fun to explore with you.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#3 Jarod

Jarod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 22:53

Oooh! The Topaz/Start Ruby 3:1 and 2:1 look like Soft Snow of Ohara on my screen. I wonder if the mix is as dry as SSofO. Will have to try it. Thank you!

#4 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 18:46

Love all the colours here!

#5 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:50

Oooh! The Topaz/Start Ruby 3:1 and 2:1 look like Soft Snow of Ohara on my screen. I wonder if the mix is as dry as SSofO. Will have to try it. Thank you!

On my screen, the mixes with Ruby resemble Soft Snow more than do the mixes with Star Ruby.  Jarod, I would love to see a side-by-side comparison if you try the experiment!  Soft Snow of Ohara is my second favorite ink, and I've often wondered how I would replace it if it were discontinued by the manufacturer.  (Interestingly, I don't think of it as dry.)

Thank you, as always, nahmresnoom, for your stimulating work.

#6 Jarod

Jarod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:39

On my screen, the mixes with Ruby resemble Soft Snow more than do the mixes with Star Ruby.  Jarod, I would love to see a side-by-side comparison if you try the experiment!  Soft Snow of Ohara is my second favorite ink, and I've often wondered how I would replace it if it were discontinued by the manufacturer.  (Interestingly, I don't think of it as dry.)

Thank you, as always, nahmresnoom, for your stimulating work.

I looked again, and on my screen A (desktop), Soft Snow is more like the mix with Star Ruby. On my screens B and C (laptops), Soft Snow is indeed more like the mix with Ruby, which I unfortunately do not have.

Have you tried Diamine 150th Anniversary Lilac Night? My bottle arrived 2 weeks ago, and I love it! To my eye, they are interchangeable, with Soft Snow being a tad more unsaturated; a wee touch - on TR 52 gsm.

If Soft Snow and Lilac Night became unavailable, I would be happy with Sailor Shikiori Shigure, although more saturated and darker. I would not regret not having bought backups of the first two inks.

Edited by Jarod, 04 September 2020 - 12:39.

#7 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 15:12

I looked again, and on my screen A (desktop), Soft Snow is more like the mix with Star Ruby. On my screens B and C (laptops), Soft Snow is indeed more like the mix with Ruby, which I unfortunately do not have.

Have you tried Diamine 150th Anniversary Lilac Night? My bottle arrived 2 weeks ago, and I love it! To my eye, they are interchangeable, with Soft Snow being a tad more unsaturated; a wee touch - on TR 52 gsm.

If Soft Snow and Lilac Night became unavailable, I would be happy with Sailor Shikiori Shigure, although more saturated and darker. I would not regret not having bought backups of the first two inks.

Thank you for checking, Jarod.  I once tried Lilac Night but should perhaps take another look.  I was so disappointed by my first Diamine ink that I've shied away from the brand, but it wouldn't hurt to try a sample.

I also like Shigure and various other purple inks that I have--90 percent of my inks are purple--but Soft Snow is unique.  Robert Oster Purple Rock can look much like Soft Snow on some papers but has an ugly green cast on some papers, notably Tomoe River.  Another ink I consider similar to Soft Snow, with the a little less blue, is Birmingham Waterfront Dusk.

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 16:44

I can definitely see myself seeing some of these mixes.  Thanks for doing this.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 20:05

WOW what a comparison!  I love everyone of these mixes with the Star Ruby.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inkshift, pelikan edelstein, topaz, star ruby

Sponsored Content

|