The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Search Is Over?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Solitaire100

Solitaire100

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 22:37

Since I picked up this hobby last year I've been on an endless quest for the "perfect" Montblanc fountain pen nib size.  It started with F then to M, then to different pens with F and M nibs...then to B and BB which I realized right away were not suitable for my handwriting style.  Then back to M and F.  While both were good and I intend to keep a variety of nib sizes on hand they each left something to be desired.

Finally I think I may have found the Holy Grail, a sort of fountain pen Nirvana if you will - the 146 EF nib.  Here's what I like about it:  It has a significant amount of feedback and toothy feel yet still puts down a consistent wet line.  It provides for greater control over my handwriting.  It makes my handwriting, which is on the smaller side, look neater than usual.  It is also significantly more fuel efficient.  I've yet to try the 149 EF but it's on my list and I have high expectations.

Has anyone else had a similar epiphany about EF?

Edited by Solitaire100, 13 August 2020 - 22:39.

Sponsored Content

#2 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 23:01

I generally prefer fine or medium points, and had avoided extra fines because the one or two I had tried (a western EF and a Japanese SF) felt too skittery for my hand: I'm a bit of a scrawler.

But three or four years ago I won an MB 34 with an unadvertised EF and it is superb! Soft and wet, yet still a delicate line, it is lovely to write with, even when I am dashing off notes in a meeting. 

I do wonder, though, whether I just lucked out with a unicorn because, despite trying other EFs, I haven't found anything else like it.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 23:04

I like my 144 with a broad stub.  Perfect nib.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 lwc

lwc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 23:09

I love my 149 in EF.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit. -- Aristotle

#5 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:55

Montblanc EF nibs are truly wonderful. I agree wholeheartedly.

#6 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:42

fpn_1597408866__ef1.jpg

fpn_1597408892__ef2.jpg

Sponsored Content

|