The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conklin Flexy Nib Rescue

2 replies to this topic

#1 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:58

I've a couple of Conklin NL's and all of them have very nice nibs. One has sat in the drawer for a while; it was badly stained many moons ago from a leakage. I pulled it out this morning to discover it had a significant crack down through the barrel and suspect it must have had a weak point at the crescent cut. Anyway, ebonite pens are not exactly easy to fix and the crack looks pretty ugly so I was going to rescue the nib and feed out of this for use in another pen. The only problem is I have no idea what other pen bodies this might fit in. Anyone done a successful transfer of this type who would mind telling me what body they put it into?

Sponsored Content

#2 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:47

Most of the nibs of that era are similar in size, so if you have other pens around you can eyeball the nibs and see if it should fit. It seems there was a certain expectation that nibs could be replaced.

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:46

$50 says it's a #2. try sticking it in something like an FPR himalaya or noodlers charlie.

Post a picture of the crack. I've "salvaged" pens that were going to be junk with epoxy. Not a forever fix, but I fixed a garbage-bin eversharp that broke the barrel clean in half with JB weld - you can BARELY see the line if you look, and it'll almost certainly last until the sac dies and I finally have to throw it away

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|