The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Voyager Anniversary Clip

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 miko

miko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 23:21

Sadly, my Voyager Anniversary (vintage 1992) "decomposed", a know issue with some batches of unstable celluloid used to make this pen. I managed to mix/match and solvent weld a working Frankenpen, except for the clip, which was oxidized by the decomposing celluloid and broke (another relatively common issue with the cap design of that era).

Visconti, unfortunately, flatly refused to sell me a spring (despite the fact that the problem was caused by a material defect). I was reluctant to send them the pen, unsure of what I might get back, so I decided to make my own new clip spring from stainless piano wire that should be immune to oxidation.

post-10605-0-92817200-1597273660.jpgHere's the rough shaping of the clip spring. It is the same as the flap band spring used by Visconti.

post-10605-0-58290900-1597273597.jpgThis illustrates where the spring must fit. The spring is held and tensioned by an inner cap that has a slot cut into it to accomodate the thickness of the spring. Once inserted, the junction between the clip and spring is under considerable tension, so the attachment must be strong and durable. I considered silver soldering, but settled on high quality epoxy.

post-10605-0-65577600-1597273630.jpgThis shows the finished repair after the epoxy cured for several days and the spring was tensioned and fixed with the inner cap.. The bonus is that the clip tension is much improved over the original design, which would not stabilize the pen in a shirt pocket. It has been more than two months with no sign of "pull out" or failure, so I think it is stable and the smooth contour of the dark grey epoxy looks kind of attractive.

Attached Images

• 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 AoKiu

AoKiu

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:35

I had two Voyager Anniversary fountain pens, Lapis  and Coral. Both celluloid pens deteriorated. All three of my Visconti Wall Street limited edition pens (red, green, blue) - rotten!

I also have a Visconti Emperor clear demonstrator with a broken clip. As this pen is made from transparent clear acrylic no corrosion from nitric acid emitted by decaying celluloid was involved. The clip just fell off when I barely touched it with a sunshine cloth. the breaking of this type of clip spring is considered a "Visconti disease".

Ubi bene, ibi patria.

Sponsored Content

|