The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inkshift - Pelikan Edelstein Topaz To Ruby

inkshift pelikan edelstein topaz ruby

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 18:22

InkShift - Pelikan Edelstein Topaz to Ruby

Just for the fun of it, I decided to do a project exploring what happens when you move progressively from one ink colour to another. For now, I'm restricting myself to inks from the same manufacturer - mainly to avoid nasty chemical surprises. My hope is that some of these "inkshifts" result in interesting colours that I can use to write/draw with. And besides... it's just fun to watch one ink colour morph into another one. 

In this experiment, I started with Pelikan Edelstein Topaz and Ruby as base inks. My hope was to find some interesting purples. But no... I'm not impressed with the purples that appeared. I do like some of the blues though. Now I'm wondering if a more vibrant red like "Star Ruby" would have been a better choice... I'm hoping for more of a violet colour to turn up.

fpn_1597255779__inkshift_-_topaz_to_ruby

fpn_1597255796__inkshift_-_topaz_to_ruby

Sponsored Content

#2 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 21:31

Thank you for this shift, mix 5 to 9 look rather interesting.
I often play this game too.
I would be keen to see you mix Topaz with Sapphire...
(I don't own Topaz and need to see why I need a bottle...)

#3 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 21:34

Fun!  Thanks for sharing your inkshifts. :)  I'm with you, some of the blues look interesting, but the purples don't really do anything for me.

#4 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

(⌐■_■)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 21:42

This is cool. Thank you
Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:09

@ namrehsnoom -- This is, I think, my favorite "Inkshift" so far.  I don't have Ruby, but I do have Star Ruby, so it might be interesting to see that in conjunction with Topaz -- and then show a side-by-side of the two "Inkshifts" as a comparison.

@ sansenri -- All you have to do is to look at the top swab in the original photo.  B)  Okay, if you don't want to spring for the Edelstein ink, Diamine Havasu Turquoise is, on the page, almost a dead ringer for Topaz (but I think that Topaz flows a little better in my pens...). 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 Arcadian

Arcadian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:15

That's an interesting excercise! I rather like the 5 parts Ruby to 1 part Topaz colour.

- P.

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 19:06

LOVE IT

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#8 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,947 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 23:01

@ namrehsnoom -- This is, I think, my favorite "Inkshift" so far.  I don't have Ruby, but I do have Star Ruby, so it might be interesting to see that in conjunction with Topaz -- and then show a side-by-side of the two "Inkshifts" as a comparison.

@ sansenri -- All you have to do is to look at the top swab in the original photo.  B)  Okay, if you don't want to spring for the Edelstein ink, Diamine Havasu Turquoise is, on the page, almost a dead ringer for Topaz (but I think that Topaz flows a little better in my pens...). 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thank you Ruth

but what I mean is that I want to see if the inkshift with Sapphire is interesting as I believe it might.

I don't own Topaz so far because I think it's too bright (I'm not too fond of turquoise, but I believe a touch of turquoise plus blue, such as royal or sapphire, might be the secret to some deeper blues with bright accents).

I might just be tempted to get a bottle and try myself :)

#9 laura_g

laura_g

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2020 - 20:20

Oooh, I love these colours you've created!  I'm just about to order some Diamine inks to start experimenting with colour mixing and these notes you've created are really helpful, thank you!

#10 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,135 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:41

I am late to this thread because I would never have thought of buying either Topaz or Ruby, but I love some of these mixes.  Thank you!

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 20:06

I really enjoyed these, but when you showed me the Ruby Star shifts, I fell in love. Thank you for doing these!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inkshift, pelikan edelstein, topaz, ruby

Sponsored Content

|