The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Where Can I Buy A Metal Cartridge Cap For A Pilot Vanishing Point?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 YonathanZ

YonathanZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 16:16

Hi,

So I'm not from the US and that seems to be the only place where these metal caps are sold. Nothing on eBay or Amazon or any non-US based retailers. 

What do I do if I want to use cartridges with my VP?

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 16:49

I've used a pen without the cap, just a cartridge.  It worked.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 YonathanZ

YonathanZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 18:36

Yes it should work but every click brings the cartridge closer to cracking.

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:50

What do I do if I want to use cartridges with my VP?

Do the US-based sellers you found for the item refuse to ship to your country?

You may be concerned about the international shipping charges — as I often am, which is why I tend not to buy from US retailers, when they have nothing of particular benefit or worth to offer me over retailers elsewhere — or otherwise the total out-of-pocket expense, but what you "do" is factor it in and decide whether you want the item badly enough; in other words, make an informed purchasing decision (even if it means abstaining and knowingly go without).

You can consciously accept the risk of the cartridge splitting and possibly leaking ink all over the internals of your Pilot Capless pen, or you can accept the financial pain of high shipping charges; there's a choice to be made there, only you can make the better one out of the two from your perspective, and none of us can really advise you which way to go.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#5 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:01

Yes it should work but every click brings the cartridge closer to cracking.

Maybe.  I used mine for quite some time without that happening. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#6 Ashram

Ashram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 21:11

If you PM me your address I'll send you one. I have spares. 

Bftqofd.png

#7 YonathanZ

YonathanZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 21:25

If you PM me your address I'll send you one. I have spares. 

I really appreciate it, but you're from the US and I'm not and int'l shipping is very expensive (otherwise I would've purchased from a US retailer).

Thanks again.

#8 Ashram

Ashram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:53

I should be able to put it in a regular envelope with a bit of padding.  I'm happy to do it if you like.  Postage is minimal.  It may take a while to get there.  Plenty of collectors have helped me out over the years and I'm happy to return the favor.

Edited by Ashram, 15 August 2020 - 04:44.

Bftqofd.png

#9 YonathanZ

YonathanZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:47

Thats very kind of you. Ill send a message.

Sponsored Content

|