The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stipula Etruria Demonstrator Disassembly

stipula disassembly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garyo

garyo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 14:19

Hi All

Hope you are staying safe with coid19

I inked up my pen and now want to clean and change the ink

The instructiosn dont explain how i (1) remove nib (2) pulloff the whole nib section to clean the barrel. There are no videos on youtube.

Some comments here talk about old and new Stipulas so I am not sure whether to just pull out the nib.

Help appreciated/gary

Sponsored Content

#2 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 19:17

Many Stipula pens use a screw-in nib-unit.

However, you should not NEED to remove the nib for cleaning. Just pump a cleaning solution (simple: clean water, drop of Dawn [or equivalent] dish detergent, some ammonia [unless using Iron Gall ink]) back and forth through the pen a few times until it comes out clear, then flush with water.

Recently I've added a final step of filling with water (or water/ammonia mix) and standing the pen (nib down) in a cup with a wad of toilet paper, and letting it suck the liquid out. This is a slower flow than plain flushing and may pick up left-over ink that resists the fast stream from flushing. If the tissue shows a lot of color, repeat with fresh load of liquid and fresh paper.

Of course -- when I clean a pen, it means it is going into storage for some months while a different pen comes out into the working rotation.

Edited by BaronWulfraed, 11 August 2020 - 19:19.

#3 garyo

garyo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:30

Thanks,

I now realise I should have posted this in the italian pen section.

I want to remove the nib because their is ink near the nib sheath

#4 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 23:14

Stipula nibs can be easily pulled out together with their feed, although the nib group should be screw in, sometimes however its difficult to unscrew them. In my experience pulling nib and feed out is much easier and really simple, just grip the nib surface with your thumb and the feed bottom with your index finger and pull gently, while you slightly wiggle the pen.

It comes out very smoothly.

Not difficult to put them back in either. Stipula feeds have a dent on one side, just make sure when putting back nib and feed that you let the dent match with the same shape inside the section (easier to do than to describe).

Nonetheless I agree you should not need to disassemble a nib to clean in out, just leave the pen with the nib facing down in a glass of water for a while to get rid of excess ink if you don't want to run the piston up and down too many times, then go back to it sometime later and finish the flushing. Plain water is all you need usually.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stipula, disassembly

Sponsored Content

|