Writing Feel Of Indian Ebonite Vs Acrylic Pens

Savit

Most Indian pen manufacturers have ebonite and acrylic pens.

Most of the time I see that acrylic is at higher price than ebonite pens.

Is this because of the differences in difficulty in manufacture or difference in writing experience?

Is there any difference in writing experience (weight, feel etc) of ebonite vs acrylic pens?

Which do you prefer?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dimy

• cvk

• Savit

• Dip n Scratch

I know that ebonite, hard rubber, is more susceptible to cracking, breaking and sun damage while acrylic is not. That, I would guess, would mean people are more likely to buy an acrylic pen than an ebonite one assuming that it would last longer, and that may be the reason. I own a Vintage, cilrca 1940s, ebonite Conway Stewart, and a currently made acrylic pen of similar quality. Both are excellent pens, and other than the former having an original gold nib, and the latter a steel nib, there really is little difference. At least that is my perception.

It may be that ebonite pens are less expensive in India because the rubber material is less expensive in that part of the world; perhaps acrylic rods or the chemicals required to make them are imported from further away.

Ebonite tends to be a premium material in, say, Japan, whether because of material cost, processing expense or just what the market will bear.

The feel is certainly different. Ebonite feels warmer and less slick (but not "rubbery," it is still quite hard to the touch.)

I prefer ebonite. The Indian made pens I have are ebonite. I would not buy a non ebonite made Indian pen at this time. It is a beautiful material in the hands of a skilled pen maker. Yes acrylic pens can be beautiful as well. I have some acrylic pens and like them as well, but so far I have not seen any designs coming out of India in acrylic which are superior to Chinese made ones and they seem to be significantly more expensive. This is not to fault the pen makers from either place. I suspect that the Indian made pens are priced fairly and per market conditions. Regarding the Chines made ones, I suspect they are priced what they are because market mechanisms do not determine their sales price. Without going into politics, if one assumes everyone in a society will receive a given income, then the cost of producing a product is actually not predicated on labor costs when part of your goal is full employment, only land, material and energy costs are needed in your gross calculations as you will be paying labor whether they work or not, so it is better for a society to identify something of value for them to do. And making a product which provides needed foreign currency may be a good proposition for there country.

Edited by Parker51

Is this because of the differences in difficulty in manufacture or difference in writing experience?

Is there any difference in writing experience (weight, feel etc) of ebonite vs acrylic pens?

Which do you prefer?

Hell if I know.

Could be....'Tis subjective.............

I never met a pen I didn't like.

Hope this was helpful in some way.

Fred

As far as I know the better quality acrylic blanks have to be imported. The acrylic has to be cast acrylic type rather than extruded type so that cracks can be avoided. Anything imported makes it expensive.

Black ebonite might fade after coming in contact with water after long periods of UV exposure damage. Ebonite as a material is actually very tough. Tougher than acrylic IME.

If I compare a WALITY 69A to 69EB I like the feel of EB more. Hope this helps.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Which do you prefer?

I think we can agree that this variation is seen in lower end of range for there is a reason for that range to have this trend. Hari sirs opinion has large point here the import are one of main reason. The fact is ebonite rods of lower end can be bought at very cheap price. But I must point that as soon as design and shapes are changed even to minute extent or even quality is taken a notch up the price of ebonite pen will rise exponentially as compared to acrylic pen main reason being amount of attention required for ebonite and acrylic being automated procedure in most cases not all. There is also the fact that one needs to make sure material lasts and can withstand pressure, ebonite has no such consideration but say one is making a translucent pen then this will become a big consideration so the type here will cost more and require more attention and so price gets a bit high compared to same or cheaper ebonite rod. There is rabbit hole of premium ebonite which I have no knowledge apart from it being expensive...a lot more expensive.

well difference in writing is not much as that is more of nib territory but holding does feel a bit different so this will be perception of writing. The ebonite has a bit warmth is what I would like to call.....can't really put well in words but its nice feeling material. For me its better then acrylic. I use kanwrite desire as daily which is acrylic and feeling on my wality EB much more then it. Weight wise both are generally light and its more like how manufacturer made it, personally I feel ebonites to be a tad bit lighter but not much difference in my opinion. So yeah I like ebonite more.

I think we can agree that this variation is seen in lower end of range for there is a reason for that range to have this trend. Hari sirs opinion has large point here the import are one of main reason. The fact is ebonite rods of lower end can be bought at very cheap price. But I must point that as soon as design and shapes are changed even to minute extent or even quality is taken a notch up the price of ebonite pen will rise exponentially as compared to acrylic pen main reason being amount of attention required for ebonite and acrylic being automated procedure in most cases not all. There is also the fact that one needs to make sure material lasts and can withstand pressure, ebonite has no such consideration but say one is making a translucent pen then this will become a big consideration so the type here will cost more and require more attention and so price gets a bit high compared to same or cheaper ebonite rod. There is rabbit hole of premium ebonite which I have no knowledge apart from it being expensive...a lot more expensive.

well difference in writing is not much as that is more of nib territory but holding does feel a bit different so this will be perception of writing. The ebonite has a bit warmth is what I would like to call.....can't really put well in words but its nice feeling material. For me its better then acrylic. I use kanwrite desire as daily which is acrylic and feeling on my wality EB much more then it. Weight wise both are generally light and its more like how manufacturer made it, personally I feel ebonites to be a tad bit lighter but not much difference in my opinion. So yeah I like ebonite more.

I thought kanwrite desire was plastic. Also can you please post a photo or review of it as well as wality eb. I am interested in both. :)

Ebonite is a nice material, warm and light, the feel in the hand is similar to holding a wooden object. In upper end pens the ebonite version is usually always more expensive that the acrylic version.

Ebonite is a typically Indian material for fountain pens (Japan also uses ebonite a lot, with perhaps even more refined results) and is a classic.

I usually like an Indian pen to be in ebonite. Some Indian producers have recently introduced acrylic pens, some are very nice, but I still do have a defined preference for ebonite when buying an Indian pen.

As others have posted, ebonite just feels warmer in the hand. It is a different tactile experience that I prefer to acrylic. I have two hand-turned Ranga ebonite pens that are wonderful to hold and beautiful to look at, examples of the exquisite skill of the craftsman who made them.

The history of Gandhi and handwriting and encouraging in-country production of pens during the colonial period also gives the handmade Indian ebonite pen a bit of historical significance. Each one is a link to the role of pen manufacture in the campaign for independence.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I thought kanwrite desire was plastic. Also can you please post a photo or review of it as well as wality eb. I am interested in both. :)

yes kanwrite is plastic and I will post a review of it for sure.

About Kanwrite they do however say its acrylic molded in their catalog so there is that as well.....I tend to give a benefit of doubt here plus the fact that acrylic is sort of plastic is also a fact in my saying.

Edited by Dimy

yes kanwrite is plastic and I will post a review of it for sure.

About Kanwrite they do however say its acrylic molded in their catalog so there is that as well.....I tend to give a benefit of doubt here plus the fact that acrylic is sort of plastic is also a fact in my saying.

thanks so much! Yes, I have heard a lot of good things about Kanwrite as well. :)

Given the choice I would always opt for ebonite; I have a Ranga 8B and it is probably my most used pen. It is a comfortable pen to hold and use and whilst I have some very nice acrylic pens; on a day to day basis this is the pen I reach for first.

When Mr Kandan does another group that includes the 8B, in ebonite, it's on my shopping list.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I got a lot of information about Indian pen industry from this long, well-researched article by Mr. Bibek Debroy.

https://www.orfonline.org/research/a-fountain-pen-story-68679/

... the traditional material for the body has always been ebonite, sourced from Tiruvallur.  That may be a reason why many manufacturers are geographically located in the south.  
...for the better quality pens, many materials are imported. The acrylic comes from the United States.
...The import intensity of production can therefore be as high as 70 percent.

I do not have any two pens that are otherwise the same except for the material it has been turned from.

Acrylic seems to be softer. But I think i'd need to try two Ranga 8B for example and see if there was any difference to the writing experience, even if the nib and ink system was identical.

Some acrylics look like a confectioner has manufactured them. Or else they are in waves like bizarre carp fish. These you would not use in a business environment. The types of ebonite pens have a sober appearance by comparison.

• 3 months later...

I would always choose ebonite of BCHR (black chased hard rubber) to any other material whether acrylic, acetate, celluloid or resin for a fountain pen.

It is just a far superior experience to write using an ebonite pen.

Agree!  I love the ebonite in my hand......sigh!

BONNIE (YORKYMAMA)

God Lovin', Song croakin', Paint smearing, dog romping, kind of gal.