The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Increasing Flow On Pilot Vanishing Point / Capless

7 replies to this topic

#1 YonathanZ

YonathanZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:12

Hi,

With "normal" nibs, it's easy to spread the tines a bit using the nib shoulders, but that doesn't seem possible with the VP nib unit.

So, what's the proper way to increase the flow on these pens?

I saw a video of SBREBrown where he reviews the VP and mentions that Richard Binder used a brass shim to fix the flow on his pen, and I wonder if that's the way to do it with these pens...

Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:17

It is possible if you remove the tiny nib from the unit with a piece of tape.

#3 YonathanZ

YonathanZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:27

OK, but with the way the nib "hugs" the feed, spreading the shoulders would affect how the two are attached to each other. 

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:52

So, what's the proper way to increase the flow on these pens?

The proper way? Change the ink, I suppose; I have about a dozen Pilot Capless pens in my household, and I've yet to encounter one that didn't write well or properly out of the box as a writing instrument. You could change the ink by switching to a different one with more 'flowy' characteristics, or you can alter the ink you want to use, at your own risk, by adding chemicals of some sort to it (but that, as far as I'm concerned, means you're no longer using the ink as sold by its manufacturer and as designed/defined).

Or you can acquire and install a Medium nib into your Pilot Capless pen, if you're using a Fine one at the moment. In my experience, the M nib are significant broader and wetter than the F nib, so much so that I dread the M nib and it stayed in my drawer unused for years. Just to be clear, I'm talking about increasing ink flow as your question was literally about, and neither about giving you as the user more control or doing it at the lowest possible cost or risk.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#5 YonathanZ

YonathanZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:56

I have the Medium nib. I've tried 4 different inks, and it writes drier than my F nib pens (which are not VP).

Anyway, I read that the way to do it is by using a brass shim and rocking the shim to the sides to spread the tines a bit. I'll give this a try.

#6 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:03

Are you comparing it against Pilot gold F nibs?

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#7 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,183 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:54

OK, but with the way the nib "hugs" the feed, spreading the shoulders would affect how the two are attached to each other. 

The sides of nib are folded over at the middle of the nib and slide onto the flattish feed. Only the middle of the nib hugs the feed. The slit is ahead of the folds at the front of the nib. Thats where you pull the tines apart. Youre increasing the width of the tine gap at the front of the nib by a tiny amount. You will not notice a difference in how the nib hugs the feed.

#8 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,955 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:57

If widening the tines does not deliver the required result, you may want to resort to heroic measures. Judicious use of Liquitex, as expounded in this thread: http://www.fountainp...k-adulteration/

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|